PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota Mule Deer

AustonButt
04-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Here is a photo of my 2009 SD mule deer. Scored 205 gross. If he would have had a good front end, he would have pushed B&C nontyp. 19 points.

sjsmallfield
04-23-2011, 10:38 AM
B&C or not. That is one hell of a deer. Nice pic.

thump&dump
04-23-2011, 12:49 PM
thanks for sharing, that is a wall hanger in anybodys book.

muskiemauler22
04-24-2011, 08:06 AM
NICE DEER! Was that an outfitted hunt or was it private land/ public land?

Elkcrazedfrk
04-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Sweet buck!!

6mm Remington
04-24-2011, 12:04 PM
What a gorgeous buck! You might never get one like him ever again. Once more congratulations and what did you take him with?
David

BOHNTR
04-24-2011, 12:22 PM
That's a beautiful buck........congratulations!

AustonButt
04-24-2011, 05:58 PM
This was a DIY on private land. We were only hunting on a quarter section but it was a milo field and the deer loved to feed there in the morning. I shot him with my weatherby vanguard .243. Made the switch to a 30-06 Tikka T3 this year as I'm left handed and my .243 was right.

I've tried to put a picture up of this years deer but the size is too big and I'm not sure how to make it big instead of an attachment. The deer I got this year was just as unique

AustonButt
04-24-2011, 09:17 PM
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g384/AustonButt/100_0670.jpg
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g384/AustonButt/100_0690.jpg
Ok I figured it out. This guy is a 23 point non typical that goes 193 net. Both G3s are broke along with some extras which would have pushed him up around 200 with a clean rack. He's real narrow, 16 inch inside spread, but tall and heavy. G2s are 17 inches.
The whitetail is a buch my grandfather took the very next day about a mile from where I got my mulie. His buck has nearly 40 inches of mass measurements total and grosses 143 as a 5x4 (basically a 140 inch 4 point). We received freezing rain that night and the deer was covered with ice, even the horns. It was a great weekend to be out.

Deadeye
04-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Some amazing bucks!!!

Doe Nob
04-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Great deer, thanks for sharing.

Sharpstick
04-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Those are some great bucks! I think my favorite is the 2009 buck with the drop tine and the two cheaters. Great body size on all three bucks. Do the white tail generally grow just as heavy (body wise) as the mulies? thanks for sharing the pictures.

AustonButt
04-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Actually yes, the whitetail do get as big (if not bigger) than the muleys. 3 years ago I shot a whitetail that was at least 8 years old. It was the biggest body deer I've ever taken. There have been multiple whitetail we've taken that are consistantly bigger body wise than the mule deer. Bigger bodies than both mule deer above. We have a lot harder time loading them into the pickup. I'm not sure what constitutes this. They're in the same area so they get the same nutrition every year.

RUTTIN
04-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Nice bucks thanks for sharing the stories and pictures.

wby4life
04-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Awesome deer! I'm actually from SD and hunt north of Wall for the West River deer season. What approx. area do you hunt? Thanks for sharing!

SDbowhunter
04-27-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm guessing around the draper murdo area but i'm not sure, I shot a 147" whitetail with a bow this year, it had good mass and was also a 5X4

AustonButt
04-27-2011, 10:33 PM
No, way up Northwest of that

SDbowhunter
04-27-2011, 10:47 PM
gotcha........the mulies in my area don't get much mass, so width and tine length are all they have going for them, a 150 or 160 is pretty good here, they have great forage here too, but apparently not what is required to make good mass.

wby4life
04-28-2011, 07:34 AM
No, way up Northwest of that

My Dad and I hunted up in Harding County, just SW of Buffalo, for two years. We saw the biggest mule deer we've ever seen, but we had whitetail tags! Actually, we saw a guy in our hunting party miss it at 150 yards too...ugh! We went back the following year with "Any Deer" tags, but settled for much less than that. Some interesting country up that way though. Since then, we have concentrated on hunting the Wall area.

SDbowhunter
04-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Harding County has the biggest Antelope in the state as well

wby4life
04-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Harding County has the biggest Antelope in the state as well

I hunt in Northern Butte Co./Southern Harding Co. for archery antelope. It seems that the antelope numbers have been the highest there in the state the past couple years. How do the numbers and size of antelope vary across the whole county of Harding? I have never hunting up further north or west. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for talking antelope in the mule deer thread...promise I won't go too far with this topic. :)

AustonButt
04-30-2011, 06:06 PM
If you go to South Dakota Game Fish and Parks, they put out an antelope map of the state each year showing what parts of the state hold the most concentrated numbers of antelope. Harding was solid last year as well as Meade. There was a big die off from the winter last year. We saw 3 or 4 differnt bucks up around 80" but after that hard winter, for whatever reason the old mature bucks died. This year there were mostly 2-3 year old bucks.

AustonButt
04-30-2011, 06:10 PM
They most likely don't get the age required to put on the mass. I shot a 160 with my bow 2 years ago....great tine length but no mass (no age). In a year or two he would have been a stud but there's no way he would have made it another year. Too much hunting pressure for a deer like that to get passed up. Esp. being in an area where he's easy to find. I'm guessing you've got a similar situation there. Those 150s and 60s you talk about would turn into absolute studs if they just had another 2 or 3 years to blow up.

SDbowhunter
05-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I agree, way to much hunting pressure, to many people have a hard time waiting another year for that buck to grow up. I think mainly because they think their neighbor is gonna shoot it, to bad to because there is a lot of potential.

twp1224
05-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Great buck!

dhaffner
05-21-2011, 08:38 PM
I spend alot of time looking at heads from South Dakota, and those are special deer. You should be very thankful for your opportunity, because they don't hide behind very many trees...

AustonButt
05-21-2011, 09:00 PM
You're exactly right. I've shot bucks in the past that wern't that great....still the biggest deer in the area but at least a year from being anything. BUT...I knew if I didn't shoot, the deer would be surly dead by the end of the season so I figure it was better that I slap my tag on him than someone else. Starting to see more and more bigger deer though. People are beginning to let younger deer walk, but its still the biggest contributer to all the small deer walking around

Ilovethewest
07-13-2012, 08:53 PM
My Dad and I hunted up in Harding County, just SW of Buffalo, for two years. We saw the biggest mule deer we've ever seen, but we had whitetail tags! Actually, we saw a guy in our hunting party miss it at 150 yards too...ugh! We went back the following year with "Any Deer" tags, but settled for much less than that. Some interesting country up that way though. Since then, we have concentrated on hunting the Wall area.

I have several PP's for West River, and plan to send in for a tag in the fall of 2013. Looking at the NW corner / cust nf / short pines / slim buttes / and nw of buffalo. I think the unit is 35L..........anywho........any suggestions on this area? this fall i am hunting in Wyoming. I know the areas around Murdo and Wall look good as we pass through, but there doesnt seem to be a ton of public lands, and I like DIY public land hunting.

There are 3 main chunks of land.....NW of Buffalo, Souh of Camp Crook, and then Slim Buttes SE of Buffalo. Is there an area that doesnt get as much pressure? We are pretty fit hunters, and getting off the roads and away from crowds is what we like to do.

I will appreciate any info or advice that anyone may have. Not specifically looking for trophy mulie only......just want to see some good deer and as few of hunters as possible!

Thanks in advance!