PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Safety

JMSZ
09-12-2013, 07:50 AM
I found this paper about lightning safety, it focuses on backcountry and other outdoor areas (water, etc) when you can't get to a safe area.

I was out on the back side of a mountain on Labor Day weekend when a thunderstorm rolled in. It was pretty cool listening to the thunder roll across the mountains, the lightning was a little higher up in the clouds and I wasn't seeing any ground strikes, so I was observant, but didn't worry about it too much.

Then clouds moved in over me, which put them about 1,000 feet overhead, and then I saw lightning, right over my head. I saw a dull flash, so it was still up in the clouds, but the thunder clap was so loud that I almost dropped a load.

I knew the basic stuff - don't stand in the middle of an open field - but that inspired me to do a quick mental review of what I knew about how not to get struck by lightning when you're standing on the back side of a mountain in the middle of a bunch of trees...I pretty much drew a blank.

So, I figured I might want to do some research...

http://rendezvous.nols.edu/files/Curriculum/research_projects/Risk%20Management%20Reports/NOLS%20Backcountry%20Lightning%20Safety%20Guidelin es.pdf

Muleys 24/7
09-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Good to know. I was in a lightning storm in the back country last weekend as well.

Eberle
09-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks, that is some good info.

Colorado Cowboy
09-12-2013, 09:43 AM
As I am reading this (just came back from my morning 5 mile walk) the clouds have rolled in and thunder/lightning are hefre big time.

Many years ago some friends and I were climbing Mt. Whitney in the Sierras when a storm rolled in. We had just finished the top and had started torwards the stone cabin when lightning hit one of my pards. I was really some serious s#%t! To this day we are not sure if it hit him or real close. He was down and out. One of us headed down as fast as we could and the rest of us put him in a sleeping bag and made a litter and started down. We were met by a rescue team several hours later. He survived (damn lucky is what the Dr said). Everywhere there was metal on his body there were seriour burns. (glasses frames, ring, metal zipper, boot eyelets, belt buckle, knife, coins, etc.) He is still alive luckily. this was about 40 years ago. Bad stuff!

trkytrack2
09-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Lightning is nothing to take lightly. I've been chased off a few mountains because of it. All the bowhunters out there shooting carbon arrows should realize that their carrying around lightning rods. Be safe.

Z Barebow
09-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Here is another brief article.

http://www.backpacker.com/survival-lightning-myths-busted/survival/16712

JMSZ
09-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Good to know. I was in a lightning storm in the back country last weekend as well.

Were you by chance up in the Sequoia or Inyo NF?

marcusvdk
09-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks for some great information. Should be everyone's main priority to remain safe in the woods.....cause we all want to return to our families at night.

Fatrascal
09-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Lightning is truley scary in the high country. fatrascal.

Muleys 24/7
09-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Were you by chance up in the Sequoia or Inyo NF?

I was in the San Bernardino National Forest . Its a lot further south. I'm not scared of lightning storms at all actually I think they're very neat and find them fascinating to see that much power coming down from the sky. Besides one of the nicest bucks I've ever shot at was in the middle of a lightning storm.

JMSZ
09-21-2013, 04:08 PM
I was in the San Bernardino National Forest . Its a lot further south. I'm not scared of lightning storms at all actually I think they're very neat and find them fascinating to see that much power coming down from the sky. Besides one of the nicest bucks I've ever shot at was in the middle of a lightning storm.

I know generally where the forest is, my reserve unit is down that way.

I agree about lightning storms, they're beautiful and awesome. Just making sure I'm making myself as small of a target as possible.

jarheadhunter
09-23-2013, 01:36 PM
This is what I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PnNW56bp0

BucksnBulls
09-25-2013, 11:48 AM
I was about to start a similar thread. Thanks for bringing this up!

In God We Trust
09-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Me and my bro were caught in a lightning storm last week during the night. We were camped in a saddle right at timberline. That wasn't my first experience with lightning but it never gets easier to deal with. Lightning in the high country scare the shit out of me.

lp2506
09-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the info. Jarhead that is funny!!!