PDA

View Full Version : taxidermy etiquette?

Jeff Helwig
09-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Just wondering what the proper etiquette is for tipping your taxidermist

Umpqua Hunter
09-14-2013, 09:59 PM
I've never have heard of that and haven't ever done it myself.

Jeff Helwig
09-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Expecting to get an elk from 2012 any day now and this is my first taxidermy experience so thanks for the comment

Umpqua Hunter
09-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Expecting to get an elk from 2012 any day now and this is my first taxidermy experience so thanks for the comment

Yeppers. Most taxidermists I've worked with are both the taxidermist as well as the shop owner, so it has never crossed my mind to tip them. There may be other opinions out there.

ando_31
09-15-2013, 05:42 AM
I never have heard of or tipped a taxy either. Though I suppose you could tip if you wanted to get your next mount back more quickly. With the raise in price of mounts over the past 10 years there is no need to tip in my mind.

ivorytip
09-15-2013, 07:40 AM
yeah they include all profits into costs. i have a lawn care business and have traded labor for work and in that situation i tipped my taxy $200, he got it done very fast and it was quality. my cape wasnt in the best of shape and he took it on his own to get a new one for me at no cost. so i threw in a little extra.

ivorytip
09-15-2013, 07:41 AM
any taxy's on here wanna throw in a say?

robsev
09-15-2013, 08:51 AM
I used to have a taxidermy business when I lived in SD. Never expected a tip. I will tell you though that costs of all taxidermy supplies and tanning have skyrocketed. Even at the price most taxidermists charge today, I would bet that most of you get paid more per hour at your jobs. Also figure in overhead costs like shop heat and electricity. Personally, I would have been more apt to get a mount done quicker if the guy would offer up a good place to hunt.

DryFlyGuy
09-15-2013, 12:18 PM
I've never tipped my taxidermist.

Ikeepitcold
09-15-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm very good friends with my taxi and he has never mentioned being tipped by anyone and I also have never tipped him or others taxi's I've used in the passed.

packmule
09-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I've never tipped ours. Takes a little over a yr to get one back but the man stays swamped.

JEandAsGuide
09-16-2013, 10:22 PM
I never really thought about tipping my taxi either. I'm not one of his best customers though, only have a couple heads.

hardstalk
09-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Ive never tipped a taxi. But I have offered to help in any way possible. Tend to get my mounts back a bit quicker than most. I think they like the help during busy season. I dont offer a hand in any thing but mine. If I screw up my own im ok with that.

buckfvr
09-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I am a taxidermist. To be honest I never expect a tip but if I do get one I am appreciative and remember that customer.

AT Hiker
09-20-2013, 05:53 PM
I do taxidermy work as well, I have never received a monetary tip. But a referral is worth a lot, if you are pleased with their work than please refer them to other hunters.

bigmoose
09-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I have not ever tipped a taxidermist but I have given them capes from time to time and they do remember me when I bring in something to have mounted. The guy I use is swamped and turns work away but he always takes care of me.

Moose

sjsmallfield
09-21-2013, 08:25 PM
The guy I use is swamped and turns work away but he always takes care of me.

Who is your taxi Moose? I'm still looking for one myself.

bigmoose
10-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Who is your taxi Moose? I'm still looking for one myself.

I've been using Stan Martin in Reno. I really like his work...just wished he was closer. Anyone good in our neck of the woods? I would like to find someone closer that is good.

Moose

sjsmallfield
10-11-2013, 07:29 PM
I've been using Stan Martin in Reno. I really like his work...just wished he was closer. Anyone good in our neck of the woods? I would like to find someone closer that is good.Moose

I just took my buck down to Anthony Maxwell in Ceres. He does great work. While I was there I reluctantly asked him how far out he was (knowing the time of year) and his reply was "I don't know. It will probably be about 1-1/2-2 months". To say I was happy was an understatement. He is a really nice guy and great to do buisness with.

humbletaxi
10-13-2013, 06:31 PM
No tips necessary. Maybe If he skins it for you or something but even then he shouldn't expect to get a tip. I would rather skin the animal my self as a taxidermist because it usually saves work down the road. (sewing)