PDA

View Full Version : tripods

cacklercrazy
09-18-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm looking for a tripod for my 65mm spotter and need some advice on them. I want one that will be packable for high country, and wouldn't break the bank. The bass pro in my area has a few vanguards and vortex's on the shelf to look at. Like to keep it under 150 bucks. thanks for the advice guys.

jarheadhunter
09-18-2013, 11:05 AM
My step dad has the Vortex Summit SS and it very light, packable and under $150.

hardstalk
09-18-2013, 12:09 PM
I think the pro gt is a great tripod. Real sturdy, can handle an 85 if you ever upsize. Its not the lightest but its packed with good features. I couldnt get use to the ball head when panning with a spotter. You could always put a pan head on the summit ss, bit your looking at another 100-300 bucks.

mnhunter
09-18-2013, 01:38 PM
I have a Vortex High country, and if you don't mind a ball head I would highly recommend it. I have had a hard time getting used to the ball head for glassing. I am trying to figure out how I can modify the ball head to add a handle from a pan head to give a little better control when panning/aiming my spotter.

In the mean time, I bought a Vanguard Alta, heavy, but is super solid when glassing and the head pans really smooth.

Caseyu
09-18-2013, 01:48 PM
for budget i really like the slik tripods. you can put any head you want on it. for the whole package. hard to beat the vortex high country. I browsed for a while and picked up a gitzo at a screaming price last year. tried going with the ball head for a while, just never got used to it so i put a pan head on. love it though!

MtnBoy
09-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I too have the Vortex High Country, pretty good overall, a little shaky if fully extended though. I'm also not in love with the ball head, could I put an outdoorsman Pistol Grip or a Pan Head on if I wanted?

Caseyu
09-18-2013, 07:35 PM
I too have the Vortex High Country, pretty good overall, a little shaky if fully extended though. I'm also not in love with the ball head, could I put an outdoorsman Pistol Grip or a Pan Head on if I wanted?

Yes sir just find out what thread the tripod comes with. And you can buy an adapter if needed for very cheap.

MtnBoy
09-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Sweet! Is it a little ridiculous to have a head that cost twice as much as the tripod!? Ha

Caseyu
09-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Not at all!!! Most are ;)

Murdy
09-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Vanguard carbon fiber tripod has been on Camofire for just over your price range quite a bit over the past few months

JEandAsGuide
09-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Vanguard carbon fiber tripod has been on Camofire for just over your price range quite a bit over the past few months

I ordered that tripod from Camofire a few months ago. Its the first one I ever bought so I don't have anything to compare to. It seems really solid but too heavy IMO. It will probably be for sale when I get back from WY this year and I will be looking for something lighter.

Musket Man
09-21-2013, 09:50 AM
I have a vanguard I have used for the last 3 years and I have no complaints about it.

NMBowhntr
11-10-2013, 08:11 AM
You will find there are always compromises on most gear purchases, and tripods especially. Do you need to glass standing up, or 100% of the time are you seated? You can get a lot of tripod in a light weight if you don't ever need to stand up behind it. Where I hunt, if you can't stand up, you can't see over the brush in some great glassing areas, so how tall the tripod goes is key because hunching over to glass is just wrong.
And weight is a huge factor if you plan to pack the thing. My old tripod had me leaving my #1 weapon (optics) back in camp as I got more fatigued later in the hunt because the darn thing just wore me out packing it. So a big heavy cheap tripod will work fine if you keep it next to the truck all the time.
My feeling is that metal tripods are too cold compared to carbon. I tend to hang my hands somewhere on the pod while using it, and when I've used my buddies metal tripod, my fingers get cold even on early hunts.
So it boils down to a compromise somewhere. The Slik line of tripods at S&S Archery are a good place to start. Sorry to say that a buck and a half on a tripod holding something that could cost over two grand easy is bad math IMO. My decision after screwing around for ten years was to compromise on the cost and just pay for the features. Would have saved me a lot of frustration and money if I'd arrived here to start with!
My solution was an Outdoorsman's pan head sitting on a Gitzo 1542T Traveler. Pricey, but never a second thought on performance in the field, absolutely 100% satisfied! And the price never occurs to me while glassing animals my friends missed!
Ask yourself how much being the first one on the ridge to say "there they are" is worth to you, and work back from there.