PDA

View Full Version : Camping on BLM

JEandAsGuide
09-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Has anyone ever experienced any problems with people stealing or messing with their camp while away hunting for antelope/mule deer for the day?

canvsbk
09-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Nope, never.

shootbrownelk
09-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Count me as a NEVER as well, been camping on a BLM section for 15 years without incident.

Kentucky hunter
09-20-2013, 08:22 AM
It would take some balls to do that would not hesitate to shoot an ask questions later! We have camped 2 time no problems so far maybe it has something to do with everyone having a gun lol

Eberle
09-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Never a problem in my 13 years western hunting!

AT Hiker
09-20-2013, 04:44 PM
No problem for me either, but I do not leave anything of much value at camp either. Better safe than sorry I guess.

JEandAsGuide
09-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks! I was just wondering if it ever happens. I wouldn't be leaving anything valuable, just my tent, sleeping bag, ice chests and a dry box with close and food in it. Everything else would be with me while hunting.

kiddwinner
09-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Never for me as well. You gotta think that almost everyone now is hunting and in general people are honest!

Musket Man
09-24-2013, 09:36 AM
I have never had a problem on public land. I lock anything valuable im not taking with me in my truck just to be on the safe side and if im backpacking I need everything valuable with me anyways so I never really thought about it much. I think people out hunting and camping are generally pretty respectful of others camps. I did have some friends get their guns stolen off their 4wheelers at night while they were parked in a shed on private land. The shed was near a gravel public road and the owners house was back off the road a bit and I dont think leaving their guns was was a good idea but still it was a bad situation that could of been avoided. Them and others we know have hunted that ranch for years and never had a problem but you never know.

trkytrack2
09-25-2013, 01:46 PM
I saw where they were having problems in New Mexico.

velvetfvr
09-25-2013, 07:06 PM
So far never. But we always put the valuable things locked up in a vehicle, locked to the trailer or with us.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸

In God We Trust
09-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Never, leave valuables locked up.

BobT
09-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Year before last I had a drawbar and hitch ball stolen from the receiver on my truck in the middle of the night while camped at Alcova reservoir, Blacks Beach campground. I camped in the same spot this past fall and had no problems, I also got a locking hitch pin!

Bob

JEandAsGuide
09-26-2013, 02:20 PM
The main thing I am concerned with, is there won't be a vehicle at camp all day. We are hunting a HMA and since you can't camp there, we will be camping across the road and driving in each morning. I will also be bringing a small trailer and to avoid the hassle of pulling it around all day, I was going to lock the tongue and leave it at camp. The trailer would be the most valuable thing left but if anything comes up missing it could ruin a trip I been planning and looking forward to for 2 years. Thanks!

Musket Man
09-26-2013, 03:29 PM
I doubt anyone would steal your trailer. Is it an enclosed trailer you can lockup?

JEandAsGuide
09-26-2013, 11:19 PM
I doubt anyone would steal your trailer. Is it an enclosed trailer you can lockup?

No it's not a utility trailer, just a 4-wheeler trailer we decided to pull since we were running out of room in the bed of the trucks.

tdcour
09-27-2013, 06:45 AM
If you are worried about the trailer, put a lock on the hitch. You can also chain it to a tree if there are any around. The next thing you can do for your valuables is get a cargo/toolbox that locks and mount it on the trailer if it doesn't have one already. Bolt it down with the nut on the inside of the cargo box on at least one bolt (this will make it where thieves can't unbolt and take the whole box). Store your valuables in there and keep the key with you. We have these on some of our work trailers (similar anyway).

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tractor-supply-coreg%3B-mid-size-single-lid-tool-box-silver?cm_vc=-10005

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tractor-supply-coreg%3B-trailer-tongue-box-silver?cm_vc=-10005

I personally haven't ever had anything taken from me while camping, but we also hunt walk in areas that don't allow camping so we camp in a campground in a small cabin and lock all of our valuables up there or carry them with us. I would say most of your camp gear would be safe no matter where you are, but just don't leave a bunch of stuff laying out or it may be tempting for some.