PDA

View Full Version : Camping in back country on steep slopes?

rhendrix
10-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Spent close to a week this August with a tigoat vertex 5, borah bivy, EE revX 20* quilt, and a BA pad, spent most nights on opposite ridges of where I was trying to hunt and found because of the steep terrain that setting up the tigoat vertex 5 and getting the proper pitch was damn near impossible. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this using a fixed pole? I'm contemplating dumping the vertex 5 altogether and using a ID Nestor Bivy, but before I pull the trigger I thought I'd ask here.

rhendrix
10-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Anyone have any experience with this?

JRice
12-29-2013, 09:29 AM
You could go to a hammock if there are trees on the slopes you want to camp on. Just a thought. I've had the same problem.

ivorytip
12-29-2013, 12:43 PM
those steep slopes become a pain in the @$$ real fast come sleep time. hammock is a great idea if thats an option, ive ended up hiking a litter further to find a better bivy camp, ive even tied myself to base of tree once. how do you like the revX?

Grantbvfd
12-29-2013, 02:23 PM
I will hike a mile or two just to get a good nights sleep on flat ground. Worth it in my opinion. Scouting an area before season and marking areas on a map for camp setups and water sources are a must for me. Scouting isn't just finding animals.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

rhendrix
01-16-2014, 10:38 AM
I enjoy the revX quilt, I found that with base layers I can sleep comfortably in 20* weather, if I had to do it again I'd choose to have it overstuffed, because of the way the baffles are designed the down seems to compress fairly easily, hence the need to use base layers.

And I wish I had the luxury of scouting beforehand, due to work and family obligations I can't get out west during to summer so I stick to a lot of digi scouting. It is what it is. I try to show up a few days before the opener to get back and scout areas of interest.