PDA

View Full Version : Gillette/Buffalo Weather

Ilovethewest
10-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Just curious on the weather out there. Coming out on Oct. 14th to chase some mulies around. Hear you all are getting some snow thu/fri this week. Been looking on accuweather.com, but its always nice to get some weather reports from real people.

Thanks!

Musket Man
10-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Im hoping to findout first hand by sunday!! IDK what the weather does, Im packed for anything and a buck and doe antelope are going to findout what happens when they get shot with a 30-30:)

BleuBijou
10-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Im hoping to findout first hand by sunday!! IDK what the weather does, Im packed for anything and a buck and doe antelope are going to findout what happens when they get shot with a 30-30:)

Your a nut!!! LOL!! Where you going to be? I will be in 47 and staying in Med. Bow.

birdhunter
10-03-2013, 06:56 AM
I think most of the state is suppose to get quite a bit of snow. It depends on what news a guy watches but I think Gillette is suppose to get any where from 3-6+ inches. You guys will get more where you hunt at. The higher mtn elevations are suppose to get 12-24 inches. I won't be able to make it to your camp, we have some family visiting. Not sure what its suppose to do in 2 weeks. Hopefully the snow keeps up.

Musket Man
10-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Your a nut!!! LOL!! Where you going to be? I will be in 47 and staying in Med. Bow.

Im worse then that;) Ill be between Gillette and Buffalo.

lp2506
10-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Looks like you guys are getting some moisture today.

birdhunter
10-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Looks like northern wyo will all be in about 12"+ of snow tonight and tomorrow. Report changes quite a bit but it seems to be around a foot or more now.

Musket Man
10-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Buffalo and Gillette both showing 12+ tonight and tomorrow then warming up so I expect it will be pretty muddy when I get there on monday.

shootbrownelk
10-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Musket, expecting 12" to 16" of snow in places, 20" to 30" in the WindRivers & Bighorns, and 4" to 12" over most of Wyoming. According to the Weather report on tonight's news. A blessing in some areas, and a curse in others. Getting around off-road will be interesting to say the least. The Elk will stand out though!

zacajawea
10-03-2013, 08:57 PM
In Buffalo right now and it is a wet snow at 8:56 PM. Our party of 3 has 3 antelope and one muley down...Good Luck, Where are you hunting?

Ilovethewest
10-04-2013, 06:04 AM
we are hunting along the powder river b/w buffalo and Gillette. congrats on the 3 antelope and the mulie!

Musket Man
10-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Musket, expecting 12" to 16" of snow in places, 20" to 30" in the WindRivers & Bighorns, and 4" to 12" over most of Wyoming. According to the Weather report on tonight's news. A blessing in some areas, and a curse in others. Getting around off-road will be interesting to say the least. The Elk will stand out though!

Thanks! Ill be along the powder river. Snow or no snow Im heading out tomorrow:)

Musket Man
10-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Looks like Buffalo and Gillette only got 1 inch or less lastnight and maybe 1 more tonight so shouldnt be as bad as I was expecting. Cant wait to get there:)

shootbrownelk
10-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks! Ill be along the powder river. Snow or no snow Im heading out tomorrow:)

Good luck Musket Man, and hunt and drive safely!

robsev
10-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Don't know where you got your info Musket Man, but we got about a foot of snow in Gillette yesterday. Interstate was closed, schools were closed, no travel anywhere. I spent most of today blowing snow. It was in the low 40's today and supposed to be nice for the next several days so a lot should melt but the roads will be a mess for a while.

Ilovethewest
10-06-2013, 01:59 PM
snow or no snow, my group leaves in a week! I just hope there are some deer still around for us. Cant wait to get out of WI and out into the wide open spaces of Wyo!

Ilovethewest
10-10-2013, 02:52 PM
hearing some conflicting reports on the weather next week.................weather.com had a 4-8" snow storm blowing in now, that is just changed to snow showers on mon and tues. and accuweather.com has just rain on mon and tues.

any info?

Musket Man
10-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Don't know where you got your info Musket Man, but we got about a foot of snow in Gillette yesterday. Interstate was closed, schools were closed, no travel anywhere. I spent most of today blowing snow. It was in the low 40's today and supposed to be nice for the next several days so a lot should melt but the roads will be a mess for a while.

That was what was on national weather service site. I just got back from there and herd everything you said. It was mostly melted when I got there on sunday and really muddy. The most snow I saw was WY/MT border on 90 and around sundance. Dakotas got it bad too. Even killed alot of cows in SD and a few in ND. Went to visit friends in ND and spent 1/2 a day cutting tree branches the snow broke.

birdhunter
10-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Ilovethewest, we are suppose to get some rain/snow mix sunday night thru Tuesday morning. The higher the elevation the more snow we will get. Your hunt area should see mostly rain. The hills are suppose to get up to 5 inches of snow. We are getting hammered with rain right now which is good. Maybe it will melt the 4 feet of snow in my hunt area. Can't get anywhere up there to hunt elk, which are all on lower private land right now. Finally drew a bull tag and probably won't be able to hunt rifle because I won't be able to get into my hunt area and the elk will be wintering on private land that no one can hunt on!!! What luck huh?

Ilovethewest
10-12-2013, 06:29 AM
that stinks on the snow. Maybe there will be an elk or 2 still around for you come the general rifle opener. That's the 15th, right? I was hoping for an 1" or 2 of snow......a little snow cover is nice for hunting.
gotta clean up the house and get all the honey-do list done sunday to keep the wife happy..........doing a family day visit apple orchards/corn maze fun stuff today, then Monday after my overnight work shift it is off to Wyoming! Hoping to be on the road by 8am central. 13 hrs later we should be at our spot! cant wait!

lp2506
10-15-2013, 06:59 AM
How's the weather out there this week Birdhunter?

birdhunter
10-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Weather isn't bad near Gillette. In the black hills they got another foot of snow last night. Rifle elk opened up today and no one can get into areas 1 or 117. Area 117 has some lower private land that some may be able to get into. But for most of 117 and all of area 1, there will be no elk hunting unless they get in with snowmobiles. Lots of people getting trucks stuck today!! Suppose to have another snow storm moving in Wednesday or Thursday.

lp2506
10-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks. We are heading out the 24th. Can't get here soon enough.

Eberle
10-15-2013, 03:27 PM
I fought the snow last week in the Medicine Bow South of Rawlins! Glad to survive it!

Ilovethewest
10-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Got back from Gillette. Hunt didn't go quite as well as planned. Lots of does and few bucks. Most bucks seen were all on private land parcels. Its crazy how those deer can find the 1 small private land area in a large chunk of public and all be tucked away in there. Kinda frustrating. Saw a couple of nice bucks that escaped, but overall not as good of a hunt as I had anticipated. But the weather was perfect! Had some snow. Enjoyed spending time with my dad and friends. Got away from the grinds of daily life. So the overall hunt itself was an absolute 100% and we had a blast, even if the actual "success" was lower than we wanted. Here are 2 of the deer. They are not as big is the picture looks.....we did a good job of distorting the picture! LOL but that is how they do it in the magazines so we might as well follow suite!

Good look to anyone still hunting! Back in Wisconsin and it is time for whitetail bowhunting. Had a great hunt but it always sucks knowing my next trip out west is a year away..........take care everyone! I will post more pics later or on a different thread.

Ilovethewest
10-21-2013, 05:24 AM

Here are the deer pics. I have more too.

sjsmallfield
10-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Sounds like you guys still had a great time. Congrats!

birdhunter
10-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Good job on the deer you got. It has been very tough hunting for every one around here it sounds like. The fun of it is all that matters anyways right? Well, I found a nice new camping spot this weekend in the black buttes. Can't wait to set up next year for your uncle and who ever else is coming. You guys will like the buttes. Next season can't come soon enough.

Ilovethewest
10-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Hey thanks bird hunter. My uncle I think is applying for an elk tag, and may want to take his son antelope hunting or mule deer hunting as well. not sure yet. Got a few monthes.

as for me, not sure what I will do. Don't have enough PP to draw an elk tag. May go back where we went this year or try Nebraska. would like to do my SD bowhunt......but not sure if it will work out. wife wanted to do some thing next fall, so a Nov hunt would work better. Nowhere to hunt in Region A (don't have enough money for high priced outfitter / leases) I need a DIY public land deer hunt........so Nebraska would fit the bill, but I have heard the pine ridge area got over-hunted and burned out with fires. Montana is too pricey for my blood for a deer hunt. Good thing we have a few monthes to decide.

We had a great time! I got to spend some time with my father. I rarely get to spend time with him. I also hunted with some good friends I rarely get to see as well. So even if we got skunked, the hunt was a success in my eyes. We missed the big snows that the Black Hills got. The weather was good. We saw a lot of deer, just few bucks. I did get a deer and it was a fun hunt, good story, and both my buddies were with me. We all got home safe, and we made many good memories. So that adds up to one heck of a successful hunt in my eyes even if the actual deer hunting wasn't great and buck size was smaller. There is much more to hunting than punching a tag!

Good luck everyone and keep in touch BH! 68696870687168726873