PDA

View Full Version : .223 varmint round

ICEMAN3
10-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Looking to build a new varmint round with my weatherby .223. I have a 1:12 twist and was thinking of trying the barnes varmint grenade? I think it comes in 53 gr. Has anyone loaded these or used them out of another gun? Any suggestions? Also looking for a good powder for these rounds? I was looking at Ram Shot and IMR.
Thanks

hvfd21walker
10-08-2013, 06:30 PM
I use the 55grain Nosler Ballistic tips out of my Weatherby. Tack driver. The load is IMR 4895 24.5grains.

wolftalonID
10-08-2013, 11:50 PM
I own this weatherby. I found anything heavier than 55 grains tumbles bad out of the 1/12. However the box PMC Bronze drives tacks out of it. I have reloaded a few different bullets, but savings didnt add up reloading this when box ammo shot so dang well.

Colorado Cowboy
10-09-2013, 07:44 AM
I own 2 Wbys (.257 mag & .300 mag). Weatherby sets up their rifles with a lot of freebore, much more than other mfgrs. Their factory ammo works well, but is pretty pricey. I reload for everything I shoot except rimfire. It took me a lot of "tinkering" with my loads to get them shooting less than moa. The one thing I found was to seat the bullets OUT to the max. Just deep enough to fit in the magazine. Just my experience that could be helpful.

Good luck.

ICEMAN3
10-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks hvfd21walker. I was thinking about the Nosler's as well. Is it just the balistic tips or is it the varmint ones?

ICEMAN3
10-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks wolftalonID. That is a sweet rifle you have there. I have a source that does a lot of competitive shooting and they said 55 is pretty much the max with the 1:12. I shot some 75 gr. out of it and they just shot 3 inches left. So not sure on that. Is the PMC bronze a balistic tip?

ICEMAN3
10-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks ColoradoCowboy. Ya I found that out as well when I reloaded before. I kept experimenting with different lengths but was only using soft points. Thanks again for the information.

jarheadhunter
10-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I have always been a Vmax fan for varmits and now am loading the zmax because they're a little cheaper. I don't have any experience with that rifle, but I am using varget for my loads. If you go with Ramshot I would go with Xterminator I've had good results with that.

Grundy53
10-09-2013, 01:13 PM
I have always been a Vmax fan for varmits and now am loading the zmax because they're a little cheaper. I don't have any experience with that rifle, but I am using varget for my loads. If you go with Ramshot I would go with Xterminator I've had good results with that.

Me too

sent from my typewriter

mcseal2
10-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I shoot some cheaper re-man 55gr V-max loads off military brass that have performed well for my on coyotes. I'd vouch for that bullet. They are loaded a little slow in the ammo I shoot but their accuracy makes me ignore it in the 16.5" barrels I use them in. If I'm planning on shooting over 250-300yds I take a different rifle anyway.

ICEMAN3
10-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks Jarheadhunter,

The ram shot powder is what I am really after. A friend of mine that does 3 gun comps loves the ram shot powder. He is shooting an AR and loves the burn rates from the powder. Thanks again for the information.