PDA

View Full Version : 2013 wolf mortality

Wyohunter
10-22-2013, 09:29 AM
As of today there have been 44 wolves harvested statewide. Add that to last year and it's over 100, hopefully we will see elk and moose populations go up because of this.

Ikeepitcold
10-22-2013, 09:59 AM
That is awesome! I sure hope these wolves get thinned out to the point of proper population so our herds can rebuild.

kiddwinner
10-22-2013, 04:48 PM
As of today there have been 44 wolves harvested statewide. Add that to last year and it's over 100, hopefully we will see elk and moose populations go up because of this.

I sure hope to see them on the raise, did you see the plan that Defenders of Wildlife just released calling for wolves in almost every state....

Musket Man
10-22-2013, 07:53 PM
I would like to be optimistic but honestly I dont think hunting and trapping is enough to control them or even keep numbers where they are now. At this point killing 100 is just enough to make them more productive and have more pups. Keep in mind the number the states put out is the minimum that they know are in that state because that is what the regulations require them to do and the actual number is probably 2 or 3 times that.

Wyohunter
10-23-2013, 08:08 AM
I agree with the population being much higher than they say. Still 100 dead wolves is a lot better than no dead wolves, this is a big step in the right direction. I have heard that there are quite a few wolves being shot in predator areas that are not being reported.

wapiti66
10-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Im not sure what the guidelines are for reporting the kill, but Im sure there are plenty of kills that are not counted, for numerous reasons. Is it mandatory to report a kill?

Wyohunter
10-24-2013, 07:54 AM
It is mandatory but some of the people hear that they are predators so it would be easy to make the assumption that they would be the same as the rest of the predators in the state. There are a lot of people here that don't have the time or don't really care to look at every detail of the regulation.

Musket Man
10-24-2013, 07:35 PM
I agree 100 dead wolves is good! Any dead wolf is a good thing! I just think we need to kill 3 or 4 times that many to really see a difference. They recover quickly and as an example when 100 are taken out they will probably have 150 pups the next year. Im not trying to be negative in any way, thats just what I have learned from research I have done. I know more about Idaho then Wyoming and Montana since I live close to it.

Grizz
10-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Two Words... Aerial Gunning!

Colorado Cowboy
10-25-2013, 11:01 AM

and SSS anywhere...anyplace.

Musket Man
10-25-2013, 07:50 PM

Anyone have a chopper?;) Idaho has done some in Lolo and the northern panhandle too I think. I think we really need to poison the hell out of them. Im all for SGHOA (shoot, get hell out of area) simply because I dont feel like packing a shovel when Im backpacking into a wilderness! lol

Musket Man
10-25-2013, 07:50 PM

Anyone have a chopper?;) Idaho has done some in Lolo and the northern panhandle too I think. I think we really need to poison the hell out of them. Im all for SGHOA (shoot, get hell out of area) simply because I dont feel like packing a shovel when Im backpacking into a wilderness! lol