PDA

View Full Version : NM Unit 36 mule deer question

Ltsheets
10-23-2013, 05:08 PM
So I have the opportunity to get a mid November rifle mule deer tag for unit 36 in NM. Is this a decent unit for deer? I'm not looking for honey hole coordinates, ( though if u want to help locate them that'd be awesome) I'm really just hoping to hear really quick if it's a unit that will give good odds of success. I have to let my friend know by tomorrow if I want the tag so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

swampokie
10-23-2013, 08:13 PM
This unit has fairly high deer densities but the trophy quality is marginal. Really good elk and turkey unit! Beautiful country as well as good deer numbers. Should be a good tag if your not set on killing a 170.

Ltsheets
10-23-2013, 08:14 PM
How feasible would a 150ish be in 2.5 days of hunting?

swampokie
10-23-2013, 08:21 PM
I would say it is very possible. In my limited experience the buck usually top out around that with a few exceptions. Lotsa bucks in the unit though.

swampokie
10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
The best area to begin in my mind would be the Lincoln natl forest near the border with the Mescalero apache indian reservation. Some nice bucks are taken in the forest each year. O yeah and remember this is billy the kid country so watch out for the outlaws!

Ltsheets
10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I just have to decide if I want take the tag knowing I can only hunt 2.5 days rather than the full 5.

Ltsheets
10-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Well the wife gave me a green light and I might get to hunt all 5 days!

Eberle
10-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Good luck! I wouldn't go unless I could hunt the whole 5 days.

swampokie
10-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Good luck ltsheets! I just arrived in nm and my rifle hunt begins sat morn.

Ltsheets
10-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks swampokie. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Musket Man
10-26-2013, 08:21 PM
I drove around that area some when I was stuck in ft bliss. Didnt see any outlaws so think you are safe there lol. Lincoln and ft sumner is some nice country though! I always say the only good part of Texas around there is in New Mexico! LOL. I went to the top of the reservation once simply because for some strange reason I wanted to see SNOW before I left for Iraq. Took my buddy from sipan with me. he had never seen snow before and it was pretty funny watching him roll around in the snow in a Tshirt and making me take pics for him to send home!!!! lol:) Good times! Good luck on your hunt!

Ltsheets
11-15-2013, 06:38 AM
Bump