PDA

View Full Version : wyoming a crock

TeddyBear
10-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Just got back from Wyoming Mule Deer hunt. Lessons learned! Most of the deer are on private property. Most game wardens and biologists feed you a cockamainy story. Deer numbers are down. Sometimes the hunters that work the hardest get skunked, while "hunters" that road hunt tag out. All in all im willing to give the state more of my hard earned money to give it one more try...any suggestions out there?

ssliger
10-24-2013, 12:16 PM
First of all, sorry about your hunt. It is true deer numbers are down all over on public land. Where did you hunt this year? What type of terrain do you like to hunt? Do you have any points? I'll be happy to help, just need a few more details.

Colorado Cowboy
10-24-2013, 01:39 PM
First of all, sorry about your hunt. It is true deer numbers are down all over on public land. Where did you hunt this year? What type of terrain do you like to hunt? Do you have any points? I'll be happy to help, just need a few more details.

Same here....more details please.

TeddyBear
10-24-2013, 01:55 PM

After many hours of phone calls we chose the kaycee area. Always same result. Hunt hard all day, come back to truck and watch mulie shooters looking at us from other side of road on private property. I told my sons, "There's something wrong here". After landowner treated you like dirt for just glassing THEIR deer,they said we could hunt that property for $4500. We talked to local Game Wardens who said they saw a deer the other day in such and such a place, "You may want to look there". Have these people flipped. These people deserve 0 electoral votes. We then shot up to Amsden creek in the Dayton area, only to find the sameole, sameole. Deer on private property. We bellycrawled 200 yards to find those deer 100 yds on....yep you quessed it, private property. Dont mean to sound like a whinner, and God sure has been good to me but, come on Wyoming...help on non-resident hunters out

Colorado Cowboy
10-24-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm just guessing, but by the narrative you gave and the distances there are between Kaycee and Dayton, you must have had a Region Y tag. I looked at the Wyo Booklet and almost all the units in region Y are noted with an *with indicates "Areas with difficult public access". looks like some more research is in order. I try to stay away from these areas. Another thing I've found out over the years, ranches that let you hunt for antelope, keep their deer hunting a lot more private.

Sorry you had such a negative experience. Get you points and get a better unit.

Wyohunter
10-24-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm going to be blunt. Clearly you did not do enough research, the area is easy to draw yes but nearly every unit in that region says there is difficult public access. Most of the public land there is in very small sections that most of the time either have hunters there already or just is not a good place for deer to be. Hunting mule deer is not always about how hard you hunt it's more about how smart you hunt. If you want a good quality hunt in Wyoming build your points draw a good unit. Asking for information on this forum will get you a long way there are a lot of people willing to give advice. Do your research, ask questions and hunt smart.

TeddyBear
10-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks for responding. I love bluntness. Its not that I lacked research, its just that I took for granted the idea that Wyoming had deer on public hunting grounds. What units could I find this to be true. I arrived back home 72 hours ago and im right back at it trying to find viable information for next year. P.S the trip was not without rewards. I spent time with 3 of my sons. Got away from the rathole that I work at, (state prison) and got to spend a day with my beautiful granddaughters. Saw some awesome country, met fellow hunters, and had safety on the roads.

TeddyBear
10-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Hey Colorado Cowboy, thanks for responding. What would you consider a better unit? We did purchase a preference point for Goats. After we conquer a mulie we will tackle the Antelope.

Colorado Cowboy
10-24-2013, 02:55 PM
I happen to like region E & W in the south central part of the state. My favorite unit there takes the max points (7) and is still only a 25% draw. I used to hunt all these units when there was no points and getting a tag was easy. You should also buy thre point for deer. I really stay away from any unit (for deer, elk & antelope) that has that damn asstrick by the unit. (spelled that way on purpose):(

TeddyBear
10-24-2013, 03:20 PM

Hey SSliger, have any advice for TeddyBear from Michigan, still looking for a place in Wyoming to connect on a decent Mule Deer. Two years ago me and my 4 sons started an annual hunting trip each fall. We had a lot of fun so far but would like to see more deer. Any help would be appreciated.

ssliger
10-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Hey SSliger, have any advice for TeddyBear from Michigan, still looking for a place in Wyoming to connect on a decent Mule Deer. Two years ago me and my 4 sons started an annual hunting trip each fall. We had a lot of fun so far but would like to see more deer. Any help would be appreciated.

I'll send you a PM when I get off work tonight. I have some ideas for you:)

Don K
10-24-2013, 04:52 PM
My son and I where in your area during the bow season. I had a Elk tag and bought my son a deer tag. Game Warden stopped at our camp on the second day and was very friendly and helped point us in the right direction. I was able to take a nice Bull and my son had close encounters with some Muley bucks but didnt connect. Would do this hunt in a heartbeat again, and I contacted the Warden when we where done and told him "Thanks"

TeddyBear
10-24-2013, 05:33 PM
My son and I where in your area during the bow season. I had a Elk tag and bought my son a deer tag. Game Warden stopped at our camp on the second day and was very friendly and helped point us in the right direction. I was able to take a nice Bull and my son had close encounters with some Muley bucks but didnt connect. Would do this hunt in a heartbeat again, and I contacted the Warden when we where done and told him "Thanks"

Congratulations! I talked all summer to a warden named Kyle Lash. Super friendly kid who went out of his way to return my calls and pour over maps with me. Unfortunately he moved to the Jackson Hole area in Sept. His replacement was new and I took that into consideration. I did talk to a more seasoned Warden that I believe could have given me more than just GENERAL information. A young female Biologist told me to sit in my truck and watch an open field. She said she saw deer there 3 weeks ago. WOW!. (Does and one small buck). We are not road hunters, and we are in tiptop shape, not afraid to go over the next ridge. The people of Wyoming are very friendly, I just wish they would help more considering the money that 4 of us spent. Gas,lodging,tag fees.food,etc.$4000 plus, not including loss wages. Regardless, we are looking forward to next season.

Ikeepitcold
10-24-2013, 06:14 PM
As we all know or find out with trial and error we all have to do our research. It seems you've done quite a bit but ended up with a bad deal. I thought I had done my research a few times in Idaho and continued to get burned. Now with the forum going and many guys here able to help with great info and the MRS I bet you will do better next time.

ssliger
10-24-2013, 06:54 PM
PM sent Teddybear

Musket Man
10-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Most areas in WY that are easy to draw will have difficult access to public land. IMO you either have to build some points to draw an area with better access, find private land to hunt, or do your research in areas that are easy to draw and not be disappointed when the hunting on public land in them is tough. Im sure there is good hunting on public land in these areas but you really have to get to know the area to find it. I have personally had a great experience with landowners and game wardens in WY and the ones I have met have been very nice to me!

Eberle
10-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Teddybear,

I agree with CC, I would look at unit W & concentrate on unit 82. You can draw with 0 points. They cut the season from 10/1-10/15 to 10/1-10/7 & made a 3-point restricton on one antler a few years ago. It has a ton of public ground, you would not be disappointed there.

Ilovethewest
10-24-2013, 08:36 PM
i too have had frustration on public lands in Wyoming. Especially when a landowner owns like 100 yards of a road that leads to about 4 square miles of public, and his 100 yards greatly restricts access. we also ran into a "private road" that shows on the gazettre as a county highway.........the road is maintained by the country, roads signs by the county, and is taken care of by the county.........yet 2 certain ranches got their way and made it a private road. its a crock. Some of the land rules / landowner stuff in Wyoming is pretty crazy, and many ranchers seem to have a bad attitude to them...........but there are many good people too. Met some energy company guys that would have given their shirt off their back for you. and met a couple of ranchers too that were darn good people. So you cant generalize.

Don't know what to tell you. My group has hunted region C the last 3 years, 100% public, 100% DIY. We put anywhere b/w 8-12 miles a day on foot, and over the last 3 years we had 17 total tags and we shot 12 mule deer bucks, biggest a respectable 145" 5x5. and of the 5 unfilled tags, 3 people missed deer, and 2 others passed on smaller bucks. So we really could/should have been 17 for 17.

none of the bucks are big.............seen some good ones, but they did find those small pockets of private land tucked in the public.

as for sightings..........I saw over 100 mules deer on day 1 of my hunt this year. only 4 bucks though.

I think you just need to look at new areas. I like to hunt every year......so building up points for a deer is not my thing (elk is a different story).......so there are places to go. Just temper your expectations, looks for larger chunks of land, get off the roads, hunt during the week, travel on weekends, and don't be afraid to scrap the spot and stalk and get into the canyons/ditches. Hunt them like rabbits if you have to. Public land bucks get hunted hard. and the ones that sit out in the open to be spot and stalked get killed on opening weekend.

Good luck next fall! 6894689568966897

Ilovethewest
10-24-2013, 08:38 PM
few more. Not doing this to brag........showing you pics to give you some hope that there are deer out there on public land! Just gotta dig deeper...................6898

not familiar with the kaycee area. I know there are areas in the SE Wyoming area (medicine bowe)........might be some areas in the bighorns that have places to hunt every year with no PP's. there are a few walk-in, BLM, school lands in NE Wyoming, but access is very hard. The area we hunt gets hunted HARD and has a lot of road traffic. It is tough hunting. But we have done pretty well. I will decline to mention exactly where I hunt....sorry....hunting pressure is bad enough as it is, but there are other places too I have looked into closer too. Just keep looking.

I don't have much more advice to you. Just keep researching, keep positive, and don't give up!

Eberle
10-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Good advice!

HiMtnHnter
10-25-2013, 11:38 AM
"Just got back from Wyoming Mule Deer hunt. Lessons learned! Most of the deer are on private property. Most game wardens and biologists feed you a cockamainy story. Deer numbers are down. Sometimes the hunters that work the hardest get skunked, while "hunters" that road hunt tag out. All in all im willing to give the state more of my hard earned money to give it one more try...any suggestions out there?"

Your blaming other people (and an entire state) for your bad hunt. There's not a lot of help I can give you in that case. If all my buddies blamed me for not harvesting a critter over the years I'd have a lot more enemies.

Mule deer hunting is tough right now. Guys who do well fall into a few categories: 1) pure dumb luck 2) access to private land 3)lots of hard work and scouting. The only two categories you can control are 2&3. you've said #2 is out because of the cost, so your down to #3.

TeddyBear
10-25-2013, 01:42 PM
"Just got back from Wyoming Mule Deer hunt. Lessons learned! Most of the deer are on private property. Most game wardens and biologists feed you a cockamainy story. Deer numbers are down. Sometimes the hunters that work the hardest get skunked, while "hunters" that road hunt tag out. All in all im willing to give the state more of my hard earned money to give it one more try...any suggestions out there?"

Your blaming other people (and an entire state) for your bad hunt. There's not a lot of help I can give you in that case. If all my buddies blamed me for not harvesting a critter over the years I'd have a lot more enemies.

Mule deer hunting is tough right now. Guys who do well fall into a few categories: 1) pure dumb luck 2) access to private land 3)lots of hard work and scouting. The only two categories you can control are 2&3. you've said #2 is out because of the cost, so your down to #3.

You need to read my posts again! Nowhere do I blame anyone for a "Bad" hunt. I simply stated some lessons and thoughts from my hunting experience. I just think that the state of Wyoming could do more to help out non-resident hunters. The Eastmans themselves have stated on this very website that the state has mismanaged the mule deer population. Sell tags, sell tags, sell tags. That idea has finally caught up with them. I posted the positives of my hunt, but would like to pull the trigger on my 300 win mag once in awhile too.

HiMtnHnter
10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
You need to read my posts again! Nowhere do I blame anyone for a "Bad" hunt. I simply stated some lessons and thoughts from my hunting experience. I just think that the state of Wyoming could do more to help out non-resident hunters. The Eastmans themselves have stated on this very website that the state has mismanaged the mule deer population. Sell tags, sell tags, sell tags. That idea has finally caught up with them. I posted the positives of my hunt, but would like to pull the trigger on my 300 win mag once in awhile too.

Title of Thread: "Wyoming a crock" (some of us live in Wyoming actually like it)
You said: "Most game wardens and biologists feed you a cockamainy story." Sounds like you're blaming biologists and game wardens for at least part of your bad time.

Maybe I'm just not used to your style of whining.

You applied for an area with tons of tags and tons of private land and your surprised you did not find the big one. Don't do that again?

Again, not sure how else to help you. It appears as though a bunch of guys on here are going to try though. . .

TeddyBear
10-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the positive post. My parents used to live in Oshkosh. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some good info and ideas. Im glad that you have had great hunting success. I believe this forum should be about understanding and helping others in our hunting endeavors. I have been hunting enough years to know that in 30 seconds your whole hunt could change. It just didn't happen this year.

TeddyBear
10-25-2013, 02:01 PM
And I truly appreciate those "bunch of guys". It sounds like they are really trying to HELP, not just make smart remarks about my posts. Don't need that kind of help. I deal with that attitude enough at work. (Largest prison in Michigan, 2500 losers) God Bless!

tim
10-25-2013, 02:17 PM
teddy bear

sorry to say your post started the attitude. If you read it from a western perspective, it is very negative.
with that said, generally easy land to hunt is private and very tough rugged land is public. you might need to look at some areas that have lots of national forest. Tougher hunting, but you can roam for miles.

TeddyBear
10-25-2013, 03:19 PM
teddy bear

sorry to say your post started the attitude. If you read it from a western perspective, it is very negative.
with that said, generally easy land to hunt is private and very tough rugged land is public. you might need to look at some areas that have lots of national forest. Tougher hunting, but you can roam for miles.

Tim my man, I think you are on to something. From my experience, Hunters in the East go out of their way to help you have a successful hunt. I have given fellow hunters my own personal hunting blind so that they will have a memorable hunt. People have shot 150 class bucks off my property and I have been ecstatic for them. Hunters in the West are tight lipped with hunting information. They believe that hunters must learn for themselves like they had to. I had a friend that moved to Montana that couldn't even get his closest friends from church to budge regarding any hunting help. That to me is a BAD attitude. People truly are different in other parts of this great country. Those that are willing to help are like the mule deer in Wyoming, few and far between, but they are there and I will keep looking! Wyoming has not seen the last of me. I think I offended some Wyoming residents with my O electoral votes comment for which I officially apologize.

tim
10-25-2013, 04:01 PM
teddy

you are correct in that eastern hunting generally speaking seems to be more of a social thing. Where some people out here see it as a measure of a man. To be honest I am not sure where I sit with that one. I have let people on my property to shoot does after I am done. So maybe I am what you are describing. But we are are more self sufficient and feel that folks should do there own homework, scouting, learning the ropes. So yes it is vastly different between the 2 schools of thought. And no tellum creek which runs thru non of your business drainages is where most game animals are shot out here.

There is about 5 of us that are all solo hunters but we have our own little contest. no of us will take our friends to our spot. but we are always comparing results, just not areas. definitely different dynamics than it sounds like you are used to. but now you know where not to go, which is just as important as where to go.

I have a pretty decent elk spot, and a great deer spot, the deer spot is my yard and I am looking for a better expierence. so I will be out trying to figure where to go for nice bucks. Last week I wrote one area off. I am curious if this weekend, if I find a good area, or one to not go back to. either way it will be successful and will allow a better hunt next time. Unfortunately I have a feeling you will be doing more of that for a couple of years, until you figure out which area has the best combo of what you want in a hunt.

we will give you the shirt off of our back, the last meal we have, but no way will we say which drainage to hunt in. Priorities my man, priorities. Besides, we don't have the deer densities that back east has. Heck Idaho only allows you one deer a year, and new jersey probably allows 10.

In God We Trust
10-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Colorado boasts the most Boone and Crockett entries for mule deer period, that doesn't mean that every unit has a bunch running around. Public land mule deer hunting is tough. Hell I know my area well and I still put at least 40 miles on my boots over 8 or 9 days. Try to find a unit with rough terrain and lots of public land. Those two variables equals less people and bigger deer. You have to know that the Game and Fish Departments are trying to sell tags so they talk up their states. Keep at it learn a unit over 2 or 3 years and success will come.

Musket Man
10-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Hunters in the West are tight lipped with hunting information. They believe that hunters must learn for themselves like they had to. I had a friend that moved to Montana that couldn't even get his closest friends from church to budge regarding any hunting help. That to me is a BAD attitude. People truly are different in other parts of this great country. Those that are willing to help are like the mule deer in Wyoming, few and far between.

There are alot of western hunters that are willing to help, but exact areas are something completely different. What happens is you share your spot it took you years to find with someone, then they tell their friends and their friends tell their friends and in a few years the place you found that was good hunting and you had pretty much to yourself now has 30 hunters in it and very few animals. You can get alot of advise, ideas, and general info from other hunters and biologists but when it comes down to it you have to get to know the area for yourself and find an area you like. No one is going to hand it all to you. Its just part of western hunting and part of the excitement of hunting to me. Talking to the biologists is a good place to start but keep in mind they also told 100's of other hunters the same things they told you and you cant expect them to give you an exact spot to find a buck. I dont agree that you researched it well. Its pretty easy to see just from my benchmark map that the Kaycee area is mostly private land and when you were in the Dayton area you were right next to a whole unit thats almost all national forest and you would of had no issues with private land and if I were hunting region Y it is definitely where I would be starting at. Your first posts were pretty negative and it sounded like you were blaming everyone else and its really not the way to ask for help if thats what you wanted.

swampokie
10-25-2013, 08:42 PM
I totally agree with teddy bear on the description of biologists and wardens. They are at best cold and sarcastic with out of staters. I'm in New Mexico hunting right now and I'm running into a simular situation. You just have to do your homework and use your own know how to achieve sucess. I dont think he was saying anything bad about the sportsmen of wyoming rather blaming the high priced landowners that did nothing to earn the trophies that reside on their property but inherit it from parents and grandparents that busted their butt to earn it

Musket Man
10-25-2013, 09:12 PM
I totally agree with teddy bear on the description of biologists and wardens. They are at best cold and sarcastic with out of staters. I'm in New Mexico hunting right now and I'm running into a simular situation. You just have to do your homework and use your own know how to achieve sucess. I dont think he was saying anything bad about the sportsmen of wyoming rather blaming the high priced landowners that did nothing to earn the trophies that reside on their property but inherit it from parents and grandparents that busted their butt to earn it

The biologists and wardens I have met and talked to have been very nice and helpful. How is it the landowners fault or why would he be to blame that the deer are on his property? They are most likely on his property because there is better feed on it, they are not being pressured there or both. I dont see how they have done nothing and what does it matter if they inherited it or not? I bet the guy that ownes it worked on it and busted his butt there his whole life and ranching is not easy these days. It is up to him if he wants to let anyone hunt on his property and what he wants to charge to hunt it. The ranchers I have met have been very nice to me as well. I have even been invited to hunt when I wasnt even looking for a place to hunt. Im not trying to start a fight here, just my opinion and experience.

Eberle
10-25-2013, 10:48 PM
I agree with MM about the biologist and wardens. I've hunted multiple western states over the last 15 years. Wyoming has the best field officers I've encoutered. I'm partial to Wyoming, it is where I cut my teeth western hunting. There is a bunch of good guys on this forum. Lots of knowledge, just be respectful & treat people like you would like to be treated! I apply for about 50 hunts over 8 states & draw 2 or 3 a year. If I'm going to spend the $ it's going to be worth it! I also run cattle & it is tough these days to make money on them with the price of deisel, fertilizer, feed, hay, ect.......... Good luck & if there is anything I can help out with just ask.

God Bless!

Eberle
10-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Hey Swampokie,

You going out with a smoke pole in the morning? Got mine ready to rock & roll!

swampokie
10-26-2013, 05:03 AM
No smokepole this morn. 300 rum. Opening morn of my nm deer hunt! I will however be back in time to hunt the last weekend of pole season. Good luck to you this morn!

TeddyBear
10-26-2013, 02:17 PM

Hey Swampokie, thanks for your mature response! Some of these people go overboard on reading into my thoughts something that doesn't exist. I used to have a girlfriend like that. Dumped her 30 years ago. Best move I ever made. Just got my new Eastmans Hunting Journal today. Going to browse over it while waiting for the World Series to start. Looks like some great articles. Once again thanks.

Manualman
10-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Deer numbers are down in parts of Wyoming. Look into some of the green chip areas that don't take lots of points, but have a good amount of public land or walk in areas. I've been through it also. Started in 95 in Hulett and felt the same way. Pay attention to the MRS section of eastmans, it's not perfect but it's a good starting point

Musket Man
10-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Good luck to all! I will be done with this thread now. I have offered my advise and even pointed out a unit thats nearly 100% public land in the region you hunted but I expect I am 1 of those people that is going overboard reading into your thoughts.

Triple BB
10-26-2013, 08:34 PM
I have a close friend who is a warden. I think he does a good job helping hunters. But I can see his point of getting burned out with people calling for information. He's always quick to point out, its part of job. However he says at times its non stop calls with guys who do no homework, know nothing about the areas except what they read on the net or saw in a magazine and then they expect him to send them to a trophy animal. I know I'd get pretty callous and fed up after listening to some of his stories...

wapiti66
10-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Western big game hunters have spent years finding their hunting spots, and most are "fragile" meaning they can't handle much pressure before the game is pushed out. Don't expect to get on a western big game forum and have somebody tell you a specific area to hunt and have success. The game is spread out over a much larger area in western states than eastern, and it takes a lot more effort to have success. Hunting the west is a totally different game but it sounds like you have the motivation to make it happen. I'd say for most of us there was much struggle and frustration before there was success, and even after success there will be more struggles and frustration....but that's what makes it hunting. Good luck and hunt smart.

Umpqua Hunter
10-26-2013, 11:52 PM
After over 25 years hunting Wyoming as a nonresident our family has taken 2 sheep, a moose, about a dozen mule deer, a couple elk and a couple dozen buck antelope. If my memory serves me correctly, we've had one tag go unfilled, which would have easily been filled with one more day of hunting. I can say I've never had a bad experience in that state. The wardens and biologists have consistently been some of the best and most helpful people I have worked with.

We apply in 8 western states each year, and there are very, very few hidden secrets on limited entry hunts. There are too many applicants, magazines and info services covering these hunts for there to be many "undiscovered" hunts. Easy draw odds almost always equate with a difficult hunting situation....either physically difficult, limited public land, or low hunter success.

480/277
10-27-2013, 06:06 AM
Wyoming is one of my favorite states. Just second behind Alaska.
The people are some of the nicest I've met . But you can't just show
up and think that you are going to be handed something just because
You are a nonresident that spent $4000.00 . People who hunt public
land and are successful ( east coast or west, resident or nonresident) worked
hard to find their spots. Probably after many frustrating hunts like you
experienced. Game wardens, land owners , public land hunters are peppered
with requests for access,or info on "a good spot" .

The simple truth is easy access, lots of public land , good success rates = PP' s
And luck in the draw or pay for access to private land.

Difficult access , limited public land, Easy draw, poor success =
Your experience .

Do your due diligence ,research as hard as you hunt will help exponentially .

Colorado Cowboy
10-27-2013, 08:17 AM
I hunted Wyoming for the first time in 1980 and have been back as often as I could since then. It has some great opportunities for hunters who do their homework. Those who have the resources and are able to hunt with outfitters can do well too. In all the years the only thing that bothers me is that I have seen the huge expansion of the oil/gas industry take away and hinder access to areas I have previously hunted with no access problems. 2012 was a good example. A really large area of my favorite unit for antelope and deer has lots of gas wells. They are drilling lots more. Trucks in and out frequently (choppers too) bring lots of noise and activity. More signs on roads I have used for years that now say "No Trespassing". Was stopped and told to get out on land that was clearly BLM. Hard to argue with armed guards.

Most landowners I have met are more that willing to give access, some do charge a modest trespass fee, a lot don't. The biggest thing for a NR hunter is do your homework. I have traveled to Wy during the summer and spent some time doing my research for a year in the future. I know lots of you can't spend the time doing this, but it has really been good for me.

Just my take.

Ilovethewest
10-27-2013, 08:42 AM
lots of guys have given great advice. I will say again........if you choose to hunt the area you are hunting or similar........I think you said you hunted Region C.......you have to realize that ............1. There is limited public land. 2. The areas are vastly overhunted 3. Depending on the area, private lands are hard or expensive to access (2 ranches where we hunted this year in region C charge 3k for access)......

So knowing all that, you have to make choice. I like to hunt every year. I don't want to hunt every 3 or 4 years, I wnat to hunt every year. I have very limited funds, money is tight. I live 900 miles away. I don't have the time or ability to scout like locals do. I do my research online / maps / google earth. So I hunt areas that I get a tag every year. Knowing that, I realize that those areas will have fewer deer, even fewer bucks, smaller bucks, hard access, rough country, and usually hostile/difficult private lands due to stupid hunters that trespass.

So........we lower our expectations on buck size, we hunt areas people wont hunt, we get out of the truck, we hunt with different tactics. I know that most people on her scoff at the idea of not "letting your binocs/spotting scope do the walking for you".......and my hunting stories will never make Eastmans Magazine. But my parties success cannot be denied. You have to decide what you want out of your hunt. If you want the "western spot and stalk" hunting experience, then you better hunt a Limited Draw Unit, pay money to hunt Private, or be ok with eating tag soup on heavily pressured public lands. Driving along a side road and "going up over the hill to glass" isn't good enough for heavily hunted unit. I am talking walking MILES. On Day 1 this year I put almost 10 miles on foot on the flat BLM map....on a flat map.....I am betting with the hills I was pushing 12-15. The energy company guys called us "those crazy guys from WI"...........but us crazy guys kill deer.

So my advice is to really re-evaluate what you want out your hunt. If you want an eastmans mag story hunt..........hunt where those guys hunt or pay for access on private. The Kaycee, Buffalo, Gillette, Sundnace public land areas of WYO will not give you that kind of hunt without paying for it.

Good Luck!

wapiti66
10-27-2013, 10:21 AM
This year was my first hunt in wyoming, my dad, brother, and I all burned five points and paid for the special tag for an archery (type 9) elk tag. We hired an outfitter, which was a first for my dad...my brother and I have both been on one previous guided archery elk hunt. Long story short my brother tagged out on a small 5x5 the first hour of the first morning, I settled for a spike on the evening of the 6th day, and after 8 days of hard hunting we came home with dad never getting a shot. After about 10 days dad went back up and hunted another 5 days or so but still never released an arrow. We hunted hard and walked several miles everyday, my longest day was 11 miles....I'd say dad did no less than 70 miles total for the amount of time he was hunting. We were with experienced guides that put us into elk, but they just weren't ready to cooperate. We hunted high and low and spent 5 days in a spike camp hunting around timberline with screaming bulls all around that were not pressured by other hunters. Of course there were numerous close calls and dad hunted a big 350 bull several days getting within 80yds at the closest, but never got the "luck factor" to make the bull screw up just once. All three of us had our own guide and they knew the area well (12 years in business) but we still never brought home a big bull.

Point is...even though you have saved points for a trophy unit, hired an experienced outfitter, and found elk...it is still hunting and nothing is guaranteed, especially with archery hunting. We had a great experience and the memories will last forever, the outfitter was great and we all became good friends. I'd go back with them boys anytime if I spoil myself for another guided hunt. The guides took it personal about my dad not getting an elk, as this would have been his first archery elk and first bull ever. From the start my brother and I (both have killed archery elk/bulls, and have years ahead of us to pursue archery elk hunting) and the guides main goal was to get dad a good bull but it just never happened. The guides did everything they could to make it happen and it still didn't, that's part of the game. I believe everything happens for a reason, and dad has another great chance along with my brother, with 18 elk points in Co, we are obviously considering a lot of options but they have been chasing 61 since it took 12 points to draw. Sorry to get off subject, but that's my wyoming experience, which wasn't nothing to brag about as far as bone, but overall hunting experience, which is what it is all about, was top notch and I will be building points for the future for another chance at a big wyoming bull. Remember it is HUNTING and big bulls/bucks are rare.

TeddyBear
10-27-2013, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=Umpqua Hunter;65207]After over 25 years hunting Wyoming as a nonresident our family has taken 2 sheep, a moose, about a dozen mule deer, a couple elk and a couple dozen buck antelope. If my memory serves me correctly, we've had one tag go unfilled, which would have easily been filled with one more day of hunting. I can say I've never had a bad experience in that state. The wardens and biologists have consistently been some of the best and most helpful people I have worked with.

We apply in 8 western states each year, and there are very, very few hidden secrets on limited entry hunts. There are too many applicants, magazines and info services covering these hunts for there to be many "undiscovered" hunts. Easy draw odds almost always equate with a difficult hunting situation....either physically difficult, limited public land, or low hunter success.[/QUOTE

Umpqua, If your family has had only ONE unfilled tag in 25 years you are a VERY fortunate man. Let me make this perfectly clear. Nowhere in any of my statements have I said that people from Wyoming were not NICE! One more time...A Biologist that I talked to said to sit in my truck and watch an open field, she saw some does and a small buck there 3 weeks ago. A Warden that I talked to told to go check out an area that he saw a couple of deer in...they may still be there. This is not information that I would expect from an EXPERT in that field of work. AND just because you have had a good experience with your 2012 Corvette does not change the fact that I have had my in the shop 7 times. Some of you have had GOOD experiences with Wardens and Biologists and some of us have not. This is not hard to understand. My original post was intended to sum up my hunt in 4 or 5 lines and then ask for suggestions and advice. There are those out there who want it to look like I am slamming the state, and every living citizen in it. It is clear that DRAMA is not limited to the female sex. My hunting group never asked to have a world class buck set in front of us on the first morning while sipping whiskey. I simply stated that I think people could be MORE helpful. I admit, I have a lot to learn concerning mule deer hunting. But, I am not afraid to ask for help, and I will continue to pick the brains of those in the know. If you are one of those fine citizens, I am listening.

480/277
10-27-2013, 04:56 PM
TeddyBear
My .02
Your texting style comes off as crass.
Perhaps/ maybe your people skills do too.
You may not see it that way, and in your head
You may think you are coming across different,
But from my seat, not so much.

I hope your next trip is better for you. Eastman's
MRS is a good start. Wyoming G&F website for
Draw stats/ success rates /permits issued , etc
Is another good resource. Goggle earth.
Good maps showing BLM, state land, and roads.
GPS with Wyoming chip, the bomb.
The town can tell you if roads are open access or
Private.

Last get points if public land DIY is your thing.

Umpqua Hunter
10-27-2013, 05:19 PM
TeddyBear
My .02
Your texting style comes off as crass.
Perhaps/ maybe your people skills do too.
You may not see it that way, and in your head
You may think you are coming across different,
But from my seat, not so much.

Teddy Bear..... in case you are wondering about what 480/277 said, here is a sample of quotes from your 15 posts so far on this forum.

“Wyoming a crock”

“Most game wardens and biologists feed you a cockamainy story.”

“After landowner treated you like dirt for just glassing THEIR deer,they said we could hunt that property for $4500.”

“Have these people flipped. These people deserve 0 electoral votes.”

“Got away from the rathole that I work at,”

“It sounds like they are really trying to HELP, not just make smart remarks about my posts. Don't need that kind of help. I deal with that attitude enough at work.”

“Don't need that kind of help. I deal with that attitude enough at work. (Largest prison in Michigan, 2500 losers)”

“Some of these people go overboard on reading into my thoughts something that doesn't exist. I used to have a girlfriend like that. Dumped her 30 years ago. Best move I ever made.”

“It is clear that DRAMA is not limited to the female sex.”

I've put thousands of hours in researching western hunting over the past 30 years. Had this thread been in an entirely different tone, I would have been glad to coach you in the process of drawing a good hunt, as I'm certain others would have been as well, actually several have tried.

NDHunter
10-27-2013, 06:12 PM
What Umpqua said.

I hunted Region Y in 2011 and was unsuccessful. Who's fault was that? MINE. I can't stand it when people try and blame everything on other people/factors when things don't go their way. It's like nobody in this country ever accepts blame when they screw up or something doesn't go their way.

Be humble, learn from your experience and most of all, quit blaming other people/factors for being unsuccessful and keep a positive attitude. Public land hunting on what is basically a general tag isn't easy.

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 11:01 AM
What Umpqua said.

I hunted Region Y in 2011 and was unsuccessful. Who's fault was that? MINE. I can't stand it when people try and blame everything on other people/factors when things don't go their way. It's like nobody in this country ever accepts blame when they screw up or something doesn't go their way.

Be humble, learn from your experience and most of all, quit blaming other people/factors for being unsuccessful and keep a positive attitude. Public land hunting on what is basically a general tag isn't easy.

NDHunter, and your credentials are? Anyway sorry to hear about your unsuccessful hunt. You might want to read back through some posts. Some great guys have given me some very useful info to which I have begun to compile. As Albert Einstein said " What's the next step my friend? If you know, tell me quickly so that I may adopt your method with all speed." Not to sound harsh, but I tend to listen to those that have been successful. I have a friend that's been divorced 3 times. I wont be asking him for marriage advice any time soon. Now my parents who are going on 55 years, Yep!

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Umpqua, sounds like you need to write a book on 'How To Hunt Western Mulies'. I would actually consider buying it! I always get the autographed edition. You never know.

Bitterroot Bulls
10-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Teddybear,

I don't have many Wyoming credentials, but I have had some success in neighboring MT.

My advice:

1. Find a unit you can draw often: Every year or every other year.
2. Make sure this unit has large amounts of public land.
3. Lace up your boots, and head into areas with cover, water, and feed away from the road system.
4. Don't expect success.
5. Enjoy your hunt!

6. Lay off the entitlement/whining/confrontational attitude.

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 11:19 AM
480/277, thanks for the advice. I like the second half of your post better than the first. I will admit, my line of work has changed my thought process and how I deal with people. Can a man walk through fire and not be burned? Regarding your suggestions..Google Earth, did it!....BLM maps, got em....Gps, bought it (garmin62stc)... Wyoming chip.YES. (Good advice from Game Warden Kyle Lash). Once again, thanks for you time, I'm already getting excited about next years hunt.

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 11:28 AM
BitterrootBulls, Those first 5 ideas are sweet. I understand #6. Its mans nature to take one last jab at a mans groin. Problem is, I will have mass murderers tell me all day what they will do to my mother and my dog when they break out, so a couple of verbal punches from my fellow hunters are nothing. I just told the preacher yesterday, I enjoyed most of his sermon. The part that he mentioned my sins, I could do without. We have also had some great hunts in the state on Montana. South of Miles City. Used to have relatives in Bozeman. Beautiful Country!

Bitterroot Bulls
10-28-2013, 11:40 AM
BitterrootBulls, Those first 5 ideas are sweet. I understand #6. Its mans nature to take one last jab at a mans groin. Problem is, I will have mass murderers tell me all day what they will do to my mother and my dog when they break out, so a couple of verbal punches from my fellow hunters are nothing.

Teddybear,

You misunderstand. #6 was not a shot to the groin. It was absolutely genuine advice, and I think it could increase your chances of getting more help and information on western hunting. In fact, I separated it from the list to emphasize it as the most important, IMO.

I grew up near Bozeman myself, and agree it is a beautiful area.

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Bitterroot Bulls, Back to your point #3.. when you say feed....feed meaning what? P.S, thanks for setting me straight on #6. My intentions have never been to sound whinny, or confrontational. I often forget that some people are more sensitive and delicate. I do need to work on my people skills. Confession is good for the soul, right?

Bitterroot Bulls
10-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Feed is what the animals eat.

It varies depending on species, and it pays to know that mule deer and elk don't prefer the same feed, for the most part. These areas of research will help you a great deal more than begging for hunting spots in the long run.

I did a DIY Alaskan hunt last year in totally new country. I spoke to Alaskan residents, biologists, game wardens, pilots, and much more without asking once for any specific spots, nor did I expect any. What I did research heavily was information for the rutting and migration activity of moose. I found an old study that identified the characteristics for good rutting terrain for moose. I applied this information to the area I went to, and it payed off for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about being sensitive and delicate. Most hunters out west I know don't really fit that mold, but I would emphasize being kind, polite, and appreciative.

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Ilovethewest. your posts have been the most helpful and for that I am eternally grateful. I think it proves my point that those east of Iowa are more willing to share quality information. Iv'e hunted Wisconsin whitetail and had a blast. Had to leave my rifle at home and get out the shotgun, but oh well. I believe that is one of my problems....I try to hunt mulies like they are whitetails. Here in Michigan we sit in our blinds and wait for them to come out of cornfields, or wait for hunters to push them around. My family has kept the local taxidermist busy over the years, but that kind of hunting doesn't quite work out west. Once again thanks for the info..... And both the Packers and Lions look good this year... Stay tuned

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Not quite sure how to take that first line. I must have dropped both gloves and exposed myself. I know what feed is, I meant more specifically, what do mule deer eat. In all my miles of foot travel saw lots of sagebrush. Nothing real appetizing. Last season we hunted irrigated fields and had some success with smaller bucks. It seems they had to come quite close to civilization. This was a last ditch effort to fill a tag. It did work but didn't feel much like hunting. If any big bucks were to use that field Im sure it be afterhours.

Colorado Cowboy
10-28-2013, 12:53 PM
I really recommend Mike Eastman's recently released book on mule deer. I've hunted them for almost 60 years and shot somewhere around 60 or 70 of them. I learned a lot that I just took for granted that I knew. Well worth the $$$.

Bitterroot Bulls
10-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I meant more specifically, what do mule deer eat.

It varies, but here is some good info from Utah:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/learn-about-deer-habitat.html

This is the kind of stuff you should be looking for.

I think this is the biggest misunderstanding about researching your hunt. The biologist isn't in the business of pointing hunters towards trophies, but they are in the business of studying the lives and habits of game. The questions you should be asking the biologist are:

"What do the deer in this area EAT?"
"Does this preference change during the year?"

Biologists will likely give specific and accurate information about these questions, and you can then apply the answers to your area. Continue with this kind of research from varied sources.

sjsmallfield
10-28-2013, 01:17 PM
I really recommend Mike Eastman's recently released book on mule deer. I've hunted them for almost 60 years and shot somewhere around 60 or 70 of them. I learned a lot that I just took for granted that I knew. Well worth the $$$.

+1 on the book. A lot of great info and great read as well.

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Colorado Cowboy, great advice, I bought this book for my son. I peeked through it while at his house. I noticed he had blown through a highlighter proving its value. Sounds like I need to borrow it or get one of my own. I respect your advice do to the fact that you have put in your time and admit that after all these years you are still willing to learn. With all those trigger pulls under your belt, what do think of my choice of 300 win mag 165 gr. Too much, not enough? Thanks

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Bitterroot Bulls, thanks for the site, you make a great point about Biologists. Now were getting somewhere! Thanks for your patience with this rookie from Michigan! Hope to hunt Utah someday. One state at a time. Still have to conquer Wyoming

Colorado Cowboy
10-28-2013, 02:40 PM
I mostly shoot a Ruger M77 (old model w/tang safety) in 25-06 for deer and antelope. I also sometimes shoot a sporterized 03 in 30-06. I use 150 gr Sierra Gameking BT bullets in it. In the .25-06 I also use Sierra gameking BT 117 6rainers. I do have a .300 Wby that is a custom commercial Mauser action that i use for Elk and larger. I like 180 gr Nosler partitions. It ain't necessarily the gun/caliber, it's bullet placement and confidence in the gun and it accuracy IMHO.

packmule
10-28-2013, 02:47 PM
I try to hunt mulies like they are whitetails.

It's not a bad plan. MD and WT have similar browsing habits and tend to concentrate around moisture rich browse. Pre-rut, they're still trying to store fat, during rut they're looking for carbs for quick energy, post rut they're looking for whatever they can find. The colder it is, the more calories they have to take in. Old bucks of both species like the same things, beds that are difficult to get to without alerting them, can bed and feed in the same general area to not expose themselves and a habit of going stupid when they have women on their mind. You will find that some people can hunt the same units year after year and churn out respectable bucks in the same spots; there's something there that makes those spots appealing to the animals for one to always hole up there.

If you can pattern big mature WTs in thick cover, MD in open country becomes more a thing of what you can put your body through and still find enjoyment in it.

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 03:13 PM
It's not a bad plan. MD and WT have similar browsing habits and tend to concentrate around moisture rich browse. Pre-rut, they're still trying to store fat, during rut they're looking for carbs for quick energy, post rut they're looking for whatever they can find. The colder it is, the more calories they have to take in. Old bucks of both species like the same things, beds that are difficult to get to without alerting them, can bed and feed in the same general area to not expose themselves and a habit of going stupid when they have women on their mind. You will find that some people can hunt the same units year after year and churn out respectable bucks in the same spots; there's something there that makes those spots appealing to the animals for one to always hole up there.

If you can pattern big mature WTs in thick cover, MD in open country becomes more a thing of what you can put your body through and still find enjoyment in it.

Packmule, you rock! thanks for the info. I am a whitetail hunter at heart. I'm sure down in the great state of Texas you have had your share of hunting them also. I talked to a hunter in Montana last year that told me he quit hunting mulies because they are so stupid and easy to hunt, he only hunts whitetails now. Have to disagree with him on that one. We have had some mulies give us the slip, and the Lord only knows how many snookered us that we didn't know about. These Michigan Whitetails are super intelligent, but we wait for the moment they make that one mistake, and your right, there is usually a sweet doe in their crosshairs. Those females have caused the fall of some great men over the centuries. Thanks for great info buddy! Ill admit, I did vote for both Bushes.

TeddyBear
10-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Cowboy, Thanks, used a Ruger 77 this year myself. Tried to buy a kimber 300 shortmag this summer. Hard to find. 2 year waiting list. Don't know if I can give up my trusty 30 year old Rem 700. Its a part of me ya know? Just felt like I needed to upgrade. Buy one more gun to last the rest of my career. I know that's a whole diff subject. Missed a mulie last year with my Rem. Just flatout misjudged the distance. Got caught without my rangefinder. TeddyBear blew it! Learned a lesson though. Seems like life is chucked full of lessons.

NDHunter
10-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Hey Teddy, are you a Yooper hey?

BigBy1
10-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Sooo weird, I hunted region H this year and ran into Kyle Lash.... Nice fella but he didn't know what unit he was in and I had to help him out! Guess he had just got there!! By the way the guys telling you about Unit 82 are spot on! I've seen monsters over there!

nickpaolini81
10-31-2013, 07:22 PM
We hunted BLM land SW of Kaycee near Barnum and saw hundreds of deer and goats.

All 4 guys killed, to reiterate, no real quality and tons of public land landlocked by private roads. The buck I shot was a 130-ish. If you want to kill a deer you have to be able to want to go where no one else wants to go. That's where they live when the pressure gets hot

When you drive 1600 miles, it is hard not to pull the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

shootbrownelk
10-31-2013, 07:38 PM

Cowboy is correct...buying any of Mike or Guy Eastman's Mule Deer books is the smartest money you'll spend on deer hunting.
Chock full of usefull information. Check them out TeddyBear.

whip
10-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Sooo weird, I hunted region H this year and ran into Kyle Lash.... Nice fella but he didn't know what unit he was in and I had to help him out! Guess he had just got there!! By the way the guys telling you about Unit 82 are spot on! I've seen monsters over there!

He moved to Jackson Aug 30 so he was learning new country. Trust me he will know it well in a few months.

Eberle
10-31-2013, 08:48 PM
We hunted BLM land SW of Kaycee near Barnum and saw hundreds of deer and goats.

All 4 guys killed, to reiterate, no real quality and tons of public land landlocked by private roads. The buck I shot was a 130-ish. If you want to kill a deer you have to be able to want to go where no one else wants to go. That's where they live when the pressure gets hot

When you drive 1600 miles, it is hard not to pull the trigger

Let's see some pics!

hoshour
10-31-2013, 09:14 PM
+3 on Mike's mule deer book. Three things really come across - keep going back to the same units, really get to know the area with detailed notes and get set to work your tail off. Prepare to "coyote out" way back in there and spend a day or two at least just glassing until you can pattern a buck and stay on him.

That's not the kind of hunting most guys will do but it is apparent all three Eastmans consistently kill big bucks and bulls DIY on public land, though obviously they also do some private land hunts.

Pick what you like - a lot of homework and footwork on public land or pay up for private land.

nickpaolini81
11-01-2013, 07:29 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyp362pomo4yiuk/IMG_0213.JPG

Like I said, no real quality

nickpaolini81
11-01-2013, 07:37 AM

No real quality........lots of road hunters

Grizz
11-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Referring back to an early post on this thread, "I'm going to be blunt..." More research, more effort, smarter strategies = success; filled tag or not. Killing a big mulie is not easy. It requires time and effort. I moved out here six years ago from Michigan and have spent a lot of time getting to know areas and getting in away from pressure. In his newest article for Sports Afield Walt Prothero outlines the one key to success... Get Away From Other People! This can be tough to do in some areas if you do not have the advantage of living there. However, it is key! ALL of my nicest deer from public ground have come from the nastiest, hardest to get to country around. I've actually seen deer move off of private ground into some of these secluded "hell holes" because there was less pressure on them on the public due to the rough country.

On another note... Wyoming is upping the ante in some areas (finally!) by going to a three point minimum on Mulies. I'm going to soapbox a bit here. This is NOT enough! I've watched deer numbers in Wyoming plummet for the last six years, especially mule deer. Wyoming needs to make ALL mule deer tags a draw with a three or four point minimum, Period. No general tags for residents, combined with a point minimum would help. Along with that make all whitetail tags over the counter and rut hunts. TWO tags; a draw for mulies and a general unlimited for the rats of the river bottoms. Science and time have both proven we cannot kill off immature mulies during rut hunts and expect to have lots of big deer running around. Whitetails however, handle that pressure okay and I'm fairly certain that most western hunters would rather kill a good mulie every couple of years versus a dink every year.

Wew... okay, rant over. Take Away? To kill big mulies on public ground one needs to go where others are unwilling to venture.

Eberle
11-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Well said Grizz, I agree with you 100%!

Eberle
11-01-2013, 11:28 PM

No real quality........lots of road hunters

Hey you guys tagged out that says alot! Considering the landlocked public and the heavy pressure in that area! Congrats!

AT Hiker
11-03-2013, 06:37 PM
We just got back from Y as well. Luckily we all tagged out, but I can tell you one thing...we hunted long, hard, and smart. We did our research (over a years worth) and we had multiple back up plans. We hiked into areas that looked perfect but seen 0 deer, we hunted areas that ended up having more hunters than deer and we seen some good deer killed on public land by the lucky hunter who pulled up to the gate and seen one walking through the field.

One thing that made our trip such a success was we planned to eat tag soup (meaning, we were OK with not killing, we just wanted to have a great time and of course see animals...maybe even shoot a doe for meat if we had too).

One thing I did have trouble with was determining what was a representative animal to shoot in Y. Should I hold out for a 140" or shoot the first fork horn I seen? I couldnt get a biologist, warden, or another hunter to tell me. I was not asking for a secret spot, I just wanted to know what a realistic buck for the area was. Sadly, a lot of younger bucks are harvested in Y. I personally dont have a problem with it, if its legal and makes you happy then go for it. But I think for the sake of the herd, we should let the younger ones walk and hopefully we can all have better hunting.

nickpaolini81
11-04-2013, 07:00 AM
AT Hiker. We did the similar thing. Tons of research. Made multiple calls. What we saw the first day were people pulling spike heads and fork horns out. Driving 1600 miles one way, our camp determined to shoot the first horns We saw.

With that mentality, I found the steepest and nastiest shit I could and found a 115. Which everybody around was impressed with, one guy from another camp dubbed me "lucky" for shooting that deer. So take that into consideration that A 140 class Buck is probably a real trophy there

WapitiBob
11-04-2013, 11:04 AM
1600 miles is a haul for sure. It's 1000 for me and I fill my pocket with tags.
You did good.

y02MDM
11-04-2013, 11:43 AM
This post has got me second guessing my research. For WY elk, deer and antelope I have done my research and come up with 6-8 units that are either blue or green chip hunts although for several the access is questionable. I really need to narrow it down to probably three then in time and can get to know the areas. Would any of you long time Wy hunters mind looking over what I have and offering some feedback? Not wanting you guys to give up your honey holes but just point out any gar holes that I should avoid. Thanks

Ilovethewest
11-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Grizz..........I have some thoughts as well on wyoming hunting. i am not a big point restriction guy. we shot a mulie b/w sundance and upton once that was almost 28" wide and 24" tall..............2x2. It was the biggest 2x2 i had ever seen, and a trophy in anyones book. and genetically, should be culled. having to pass on that buck to me is just wrong.

but I think there are a few changes that can be made. Take region C.......it encompasses several Units (17,18,19,20, 21....mayeb some others).......yet with a Region C tag, I can hunt all those areas. what happens, is the larger more accessible public areas get hammered.....really really bad. and every forkie gets shot. so you have bad over-crowding and small buck size. solution...........get rid of general and region tags, and go unit specific. You apply for a.......Uit 20 tag, you hunt unit 20. and that is it. set quotas per unit. take into account amount of private land vs public.

secondly, wyoming has a HUGE problem with private land vs public land access. I can think of 2 larger public tracts in Region C that it is virtually impossible to get to due to crossing private lands to get to them. yet.....those raods were put in with taxpayer dollars, maintained by taxpayer dollars......yet access is restricted by "private entities".......this is killing hunting. and frankly, it is not right or fair. My tax dollars pay for public property just as much as a resident from wyoming does, if it is federal lands. I would pass a law REQUIRING public access to and from public parcels larger than........who knows how large a tract say 2 square miles.....across private lands with no tresspass fee. You could require guns to be in a case......you cannot step out of the vehicle on those lands.......or something. But having landlocked public lands is a crock. And it ruins hutning in other areas. It concentrates hunter density and kills off too many deer.

I know many people might not agree with me, but I think if you worked on access and micromanaged units, you would see a huge increase in the mule deer population and buck size.

and.....I am not bashing landowners. Its the law, and if I was a landowner, I would do the same. The problem is the way the laws read. Change the laws to make public lands easier to access.

what say you guys???

LaHunter
11-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I just returned from my first WY deer hunt. We, 2 of us, drove 1500+ miles from Louisiana to the Big Horns. Neither of us killed a deer, but we had a great time and we are planning our return next year.

1) The biologist for Region R has been great to deal with. His name is Tom and I have spoken with him several times on the phone over the past year. We actually met him up on the mountain and had a good visit with him. He is a great guy. I also spoke with the game warden on the phone a few times and he was very helpful and super nice and generous with his time.

2) There is a lot of pressure on public land. There are ATVs everywhere. That is just part of public land hunting unless you are willing to hike into areas that you know are going to cause your body misery.

3) There are deer on public land but I think they are true survivors. We were watching 2 forked horns and a spike along with several does our first afternoon glassing. These bucks were in a spot where a stalk and a shot would have been likely. We didn't even give it a second thought because we wanted to shoot a decent 4X4. On day 2, I saw a nice 4X4 that looked to be pretty good. His inside spread appeared to be wider than his ears, but he was about 1 mile away. I only saw this deer for a total of about 30 seconds. That was the last buck we saw. I think the continued pressure, along with our weather turning bad (50-100 yards visibility) had an impact on our deer sightings. Hindsight being 20/20, I still don't regret not trying to kill one of those forked horns on day 1.

4) We had to adapt. The early snow that dumped in the Big Horns prevented us from getting to our planned camp area so we had to camp lower and ride our ATVs into the area that we wanted to hunt. This made things much tougher. Also, we had to hunt lower when the weather turned bad up high. We found some areas that had good sign and we hiked into areas that we can eliminate for next year.

5) Lessons don't come cheap. I feel like I will be 100X more prepared for my next hunt (hopefully next year). Not taking a deer this year really didn't bother me at all. I learned a lot about the area and we took notes on what worked well this year and what we need to adjust for next year.

I can't wait for next year.

TeddyBear, I hope you have a better experience next time.

Good Luck

nickpaolini81
11-04-2013, 01:50 PM
;)

:cool:

I'm applauding!!! Well said sir. It's BS like that landlocked BLM and State land that will NEVER bring me back to WY to hunt deer....unless they go with a rule like you mentioned. Couldnt have said it better myself!

Grizz..........I have some thoughts as well on wyoming hunting. i am not a big point restriction guy. we shot a mulie b/w sundance and upton once that was almost 28" wide and 24" tall..............2x2. It was the biggest 2x2 i had ever seen, and a trophy in anyones book. and genetically, should be culled. having to pass on that buck to me is just wrong.

but I think there are a few changes that can be made. Take region C.......it encompasses several Units (17,18,19,20, 21....mayeb some others).......yet with a Region C tag, I can hunt all those areas. what happens, is the larger more accessible public areas get hammered.....really really bad. and every forkie gets shot. so you have bad over-crowding and small buck size. solution...........get rid of general and region tags, and go unit specific. You apply for a.......Uit 20 tag, you hunt unit 20. and that is it. set quotas per unit. take into account amount of private land vs public.

secondly, wyoming has a HUGE problem with private land vs public land access. I can think of 2 larger public tracts in Region C that it is virtually impossible to get to due to crossing private lands to get to them. yet.....those raods were put in with taxpayer dollars, maintained by taxpayer dollars......yet access is restricted by "private entities".......this is killing hunting. and frankly, it is not right or fair. My tax dollars pay for public property just as much as a resident from wyoming does, if it is federal lands. I would pass a law REQUIRING public access to and from public parcels larger than........who knows how large a tract say 2 square miles.....across private lands with no tresspass fee. You could require guns to be in a case......you cannot step out of the vehicle on those lands.......or something. But having landlocked public lands is a crock. And it ruins hutning in other areas. It concentrates hunter density and kills off too many deer.

I know many people might not agree with me, but I think if you worked on access and micromanaged units, you would see a huge increase in the mule deer population and buck size.

and.....I am not bashing landowners. Its the law, and if I was a landowner, I would do the same. The problem is the way the laws read. Change the laws to make public lands easier to access.

what say you guys???

lp2506
11-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Same here Nick and At Hiker. We got home Friday. We both tagged out with scrubs. My partner a spike and me a 3x3. All I can say is pick the right hunting partner. My life long friend almost ended up being my worst enemy as for this was our first long distance hunting trip we had taken. The first thing I should have done is threw his cell phone out the window. We concentrated on the Barnum area very hard hiking in several miles the first few days only to find that you see a lot more deer across the road on private than you do hiking in several miles. After the third day my partner was done. He settled for a spike standing about 50 yards off the road. After the third day we got about an inch of snow and that got my blood pumping thinking this would get the deer moving and they sure did. Right to the hay fields on private. We counted over 200 hundred deer in one field the night after the snow and some of them were well over 150. I then set my sights on hunting the canyons trying to catch the deer coming out of the fields which didn't happen. The fields would be full driving in before daylight as you could see them with the snow and the moonlight but when I came down from up in the canyons they would be gone. Still not sure where they were going. After countless failures of hiking in and no outcome I decided to check another area. While I was getting my pack on to take off I spotted some deer way up a valley. It was a 3x and 5 doe. I decided if I could get close enough I would take him. After hiking around the back side of the valley I slipped to the top and spotted him about 220 yards. I thought the first shot was a miss for he barely moved and the second shot put him down. The holes ended up being only an inch apart right behind the shoulder. Being this was my first muley I was very pleased with him. Some advice that I can give is wait until as late in the season as you can. We saw very few hunters and the bucks were starting to cruise a little bit. After filling our tags we bought doe goat tags to try our luck. We pulled into a large piece of blm to do some glassing and low and behold there he stood. The biggest buck we had seen the whole trip and he was standing 75 yards away. I guessed him around the 180 mark. Go figure. With all the excitement I realized I didn't have my gps. After backtracking I remembered I had set it on the bed side. We found it in the road it died of tread disease. All in all I had a good time other than my buddy bitchin an maonin. Even got to shoot some prairie dogs. If your looking for a campground to stay at out there go see Randy and Christy at the KC RV Park. They are wonderful people. There 14 year old son even guided us a little bit on a goat hunt. 6959

Whitehawk
11-04-2013, 04:10 PM
1600 miles is a haul for sure. It's 1000 for me and I fill my pocket with tags.
You did good.

We had tags for Wyo. Never been there before to hunt. Drove all the way from Texas,1400 miles+. Between the 4 of us we filled our four Muley buck tags, one muley doe tag, three antelope doe tags.. I would say that was a successful hunt. We filled all our tags on BLM lands. Everybody from the towns people to the game wardens were as friendly and helpful as anyone could ask for. I believe we will go back!! Nothing wrong with Wyoming hunting!
Hope everyone has a successful remaining hunting season.
Whitehawk
Austin Tx.

TeddyBear
11-05-2013, 10:05 AM
I just returned from my first WY deer hunt. We, 2 of us, drove 1500+ miles from Louisiana to the Big Horns. Neither of us killed a deer, but we had a great time and we are planning our return next year.

1) The biologist for Region R has been great to deal with. His name is Tom and I have spoken with him several times on the phone over the past year. We actually met him up on the mountain and had a good visit with him. He is a great guy. I also spoke with the game warden on the phone a few times and he was very helpful and super nice and generous with his time.

2) There is a lot of pressure on public land. There are ATVs everywhere. That is just part of public land hunting unless you are willing to hike into areas that you know are going to cause your body misery.

3) There are deer on public land but I think they are true survivors. We were watching 2 forked horns and a spike along with several does our first afternoon glassing. These bucks were in a spot where a stalk and a shot would have been likely. We didn't even give it a second thought because we wanted to shoot a decent 4X4. On day 2, I saw a nice 4X4 that looked to be pretty good. His inside spread appeared to be wider than his ears, but he was about 1 mile away. I only saw this deer for a total of about 30 seconds. That was the last buck we saw. I think the continued pressure, along with our weather turning bad (50-100 yards visibility) had an impact on our deer sightings. Hindsight being 20/20, I still don't regret not trying to kill one of those forked horns on day 1.

4) We had to adapt. The early snow that dumped in the Big Horns prevented us from getting to our planned camp area so we had to camp lower and ride our ATVs into the area that we wanted to hunt. This made things much tougher. Also, we had to hunt lower when the weather turned bad up high. We found some areas that had good sign and we hiked into areas that we can eliminate for next year.

5) Lessons don't come cheap. I feel like I will be 100X more prepared for my next hunt (hopefully next year). Not taking a deer this year really didn't bother me at all. I learned a lot about the area and we took notes on what worked well this year and what we need to adjust for next year.

I can't wait for next year.

TeddyBear, I hope you have a better experience next time.

Good Luck

Hey LaHunter, great post. I have not had much time for this forum as of late. Just blew out a 97 hour work week. I will do this for 6 straight weeks, visit the altar on Sunday, ask God to forgive me for working so many hours. After I burn out and take a week off I will repeat this process. Gotta pay for that next hunting trip somehow. I also learned a lot from not pulling the trigger this season in Wyoming. Maps are nice, Google Earth is nice, Internet sites and magazine articles are nice, but nothing beats a good "Hook-up". A landowner, rancher, town drunk for that matter. Someone willing to give you the inside scoop on where those mulies really are. Someone who has hunted there for 15 years. I guess my problem is I don't put the effort into hunting like some of you fellas. Long work weeks, 7 children, church activities, corvettes and mustangs to restore, softball tournaments..............and the list goes on. Maybe I'm looking for a shortcut that just isn't there. Regardless, I have really enjoyed all the feedback. You are all a great bunch of guys. I had no idea my original post would ruffle so many feathers. It was simply a 4 or 5 line thought as a result of my hunt. For those who only weeded out the negatives, please remember, I did mention some blessings.....Got to spend time with 3 of my sons, stopped in Nebraska and took my granddaughters shopping, saw some beautiful country, laughed a lot (boy did we laugh a lot), watched my son make a shot on a muledeer that would make Roy Rogers jealous, got away from work!, and had safety on the roads. Also, I may have a CONNECTION In the Thermopolis area. Found out that a co-worker hunted in Dubois? Anyone out there willing to give me just a teeny tiny itsy bitsy bit of info on these areas? This TeddyBears going back into hibernation!

AT Hiker
11-06-2013, 06:19 PM
nickpaolini81,

Some guys that had hunted the area we where at told us the same thing, my buddy killed one around 110-115 and he said that is about as big as they get here. We were please, especially my buddy because he had never killed anything other than a whitetail.

Ip2506,
Later in the season has its advantages for sure...trust me as opening day was a circus! We tried to hunt those hay meadow deer too, figured out that they leave a little after dark to bed then they head back down to the meadows right before sun-up...I have never seen deer do this, they basically sleep and eat in the meadows all day. Not like the whitetails and other mule deer Im used to.

TeddyBear
12-07-2013, 11:53 AM
nickpaolini81,

Some guys that had hunted the area we where at told us the same thing, my buddy killed one around 110-115 and he said that is about as big as they get here. We were please, especially my buddy because he had never killed anything other than a whitetail.

Ip2506,
Later in the season has its advantages for sure...trust me as opening day was a circus! We tried to hunt those hay meadow deer too, figured out that they leave a little after dark to bed then they head back down to the meadows right before sun-up...I have never seen deer do this, they basically sleep and eat in the meadows all day. Not like the whitetails and other mule deer Im used to.

Fellow Hunters, Its time to bring 'Wyoming a Crock' to a close. With the Holidays fast approaching, long work weeks, and coaching Varsity basketball, I am left with little time to surf the web. I'm sure with the post closing in on 7000 views someone benefited from posted information. If anyone was helped in any degree it was worth it. After all, isn't the whole idea of this site is to help each other? I may check this forum again in late January if life slows down. For now its back to work, family holidays, and then on to Mexico for a little R-n-R. I have truly enjoyed all your thoughts and ideas. This years Christmas list consisted of The Vortex Viper 20-60x85 Angled spotting scope, Mickey Thompsen tires, Bulova watch, and some soft socks. Soft socks are very very important to me. The spotting scope has been ordered, delivered and wrapped. I took a peak through it and it is an amazing piece of equipment. As the tires sit in the garage, and the watch under the tree, I reflect on what has been a very awesome year. I am looking for a repeat in 2014. I hope all you hunters have a favorable hand of providence next hunting season. One final piece of advice. Buy a handgun and learn how to use it!. As Roger Raglin says, 'carry it, handle, it shoot it, carry it, handle it, shoot it, carry it, handle it, shoot it'. For cryin out loud people, The government is paroling criminals by the busloads! Where are they going? Local neighborhoods, communities, and maybe your town? Some of these convicts are property of Lucifer. The average response time of police in town is 10 minutes. If you live in the boondocks, the cops ARE NOT going to show. There is truth in the idea of 'Be nice to everyone but have a plan to kill them'. I don't know a lot about Western Mulies, but I do know that these released convicts are bad for our law abiding families. A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. PS.....I sure hope my wife comes through on those socks!....TeddyBear

Topgun 30-06
12-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Too bad Teddybear didn't see fit to answer a couple PMs I sent him about his jaded and twisted rants on his thread and in another post he put up in another thread about nobody helping him, yadayadayada! I, for one, won't miss him because I think his job in a maximum security prison here in southern MI has given him a very lousy perspective of the overall population that are out and about in this world. What is funny is that he says the whole idea of this site is to help each other, but if you read almost every post he's put up in the short time he's been on here they are very negative even with all the help offered him by all the members---just sayin!!!

TeddyBear
12-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Too bad Teddybear didn't see fit to answer a couple PMs I sent him about his jaded and twisted rants on his thread and in another post he put up in another thread about nobody helping him, yadayadayada! I, for one, won't miss him because I think his job in a maximum security prison here in southern MI has given him a very lousy perspective of the overall population that are out and about in this world. What is funny is that he says the whole idea of this site is to help each other, but if you read almost every post he's put up in the short time he's been on here they are very negative even with all the help offered him by all the members---just sayin!!!

Topgun, take your medication little buddy. Your takin this way to serious, which has pulled you off your square. I do admire your post. It leaves no question of where you stand which is more than I can say for some people. My gut feeling is that you voted for Obama (twice), are an avid reader of mad magazine, and have never missed one episode of Ellen. Any way, I cant understand for the life of me, if my posts bother you that much, Why, oh why, do you continue to read them? If a man told me that milk made him sick right after he guzzled two gallons, and then proceeded to slam down more, I would begin to question his sanity. I understand that intelligence is at an all time low in this country but please. I do admit that working in the most negative detestable environment in the world can change a mans point of view, but regardless, it is still his point of view. With over 300 million people in this great country, there are bound to be a couple of different opinions and viewpoints. Part of life is allowing people to voice those ideas with respect even if they don't line up with yours. I personally couldn't care any less what some Topgun from Allegan Michigan thinks, but I will respect it. I assume you are an angry white male with the belief that if you don't agree with another man he is ranting and jaded. My advice to you...get outside once a week, get so busy in life that you can only get on this forum once a month, and take that poster of Miley Cyrus off your bedroom wall! Just kidding!!!! Topgun, I really hope you have a great Christmas and a very successful 2014. I need to head to the gym in 10 minutes. Seems like the varsity basketball team thinks they can beat the 50 and over squad. When will these young guns ever learn? I want to get home in time for the Michigan State vs. Ohio State game. Regardless of who wins it is a great day to be alive. I have made my NewYears resolution. Given it a couple of trial runs, and it still needs a little work before Jan 1. When successful it will make me a better person. No hard feelings Topgun! Puttin on my AIR JORDANS! TeddyBear

trkytrack2
12-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Come on guys.....all Teddybear wants is your GPS coordinations to your honey hole. Hell, spending that much money for a Wyoming mule deer hunt, the state owes him.; at least he thinks they do. He's like a lot of other trollers that go on hunting sites...."tell me where to go so I can kill a big deer."

Topgun 30-06
12-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Come on guys.....all Teddybear wants is your GPS coordinations to your honey hole. Hell, spending that much money for a Wyoming mule deer hunt, the state owes him.; at least he thinks they do. He's like a lot of other trollers that go on hunting sites...."tell me where to go so I can kill a big deer."

***Yep, and I won't even waste my time on his posts any more. Funny though that after he said he was leaving in that lengthy post he came right back to see if he "provoked" anyone, LOL!

Umpqua Hunter
12-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Edelweiss, is that you?

BKC
12-07-2013, 04:45 PM
It can't be Edelweiss. There was no mention of better hunting in Europe or Africa!

norcalhunter
12-07-2013, 08:45 PM
I can't believe this post went on so long! I stopped reading at page 3 over a month ago. Teddy Bear go to Region G, get out of your truck and start walking. Plenty of public land and big deer. Only person to blame is yourself if unsuccessful.

Snydly
01-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Try hunting on the slopes of the Big Horn mountains. You are on National forest there and don't have to worry about getting permission. You might have to go up past the boundry a bit but there are roads that take you down lower on the slopes. There are lots of Mule deer especially if you don't mind walking a bit. Or try just below timberline on the south end of the Big Horn Mountains. Easier to get permission and if you have to pay it won't deplete your childrens inheritance. Lots of Big Mule deer on the south end of the Big Horns. Another spot to check out on you map is above Sheridan in the Burgess Junction area. Try west of the junction and to the north toward the Montana border. There are lots of good places but you just have to look a little harder. Good luck

tim81212
01-31-2014, 04:26 AM
Interesting read fellas. I am new to the site and new to the west - 6 years in CO. I will be hunting WY soon - I have 3 points for antelope and 1 for deer. I have found both extremes in info sharing while hunting in CO -very helpful and very tightlipped. I agree that we all cant give out our honey holes as the pressure can ruin it. Also Grizz - CO has done a good job (I think) of managing their deer back from bad winter kills. Specific units and seasons limits pressure as much as possible, all draw. I will be hunting the gunnison area with the rifle this year and I have seen quite a few nice 4x4's while elk hunting.

I was going to pile up points for deer but a comment bout hunting an area freq. to get to know it makes more sense to me. Might apply in 2015 for a deer tag.

Just DIY
01-31-2014, 10:38 PM
There are definitely pros and cons to playing the point game out west. It really all depends on what you are looking to get out of your hunt. I am also new to this forum and was reading the initial spark if you will of this thread. Hunting is exactly that, hunting, and we all have different experiences based on many different factors including our experience level, research abilities, and willingness to hunt. I personally hunted deer in unit 82 with a Region W tag and had a phenomenal hunt. I took my dad, we came from out of state, never touched foot in Wyoming to hunt deer before and we ended up seeing right around 90 bucks in 9 days. A lot of research and we were literally ended up right in the middle of the bucks. It pays to learn an area by hunting it year after year but when you do your due diligence then follow it up with good old hard hunting which could actually be simply glassing for hours each day then you can have success in many ways and many different/states units. I have been very impressed with Wyoming their management practices and the accurate information their biologist and wardens have shared with me the last couple of years.

tim8121, nothing wrong with building points and nothing wrong with hunting the same place year after year, its all what you are looking to get out of it which drives all of our hunting desires/obsessions.

Musket Man
01-31-2014, 11:00 PM
I think your first post pretty much hit the nail on the head Just DIY! Welcome to EF!

Just DIY
01-31-2014, 11:34 PM
Looking forward to the great stories and info, thanks for the welcome Musket Man.

tim81212
02-01-2014, 03:55 AM
Just DIY - Just want a good fun hunt, see alot of critters, hopefully fill the tag. No holding out for B&C animals for me.

Just DIY
02-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Just DIY - Just want a good fun hunt, see alot of critters, hopefully fill the tag. No holding out for B&C animals for me.

There are definitely plenty of options out there in multiple states that will fit your criteria. I would venture to say that Wyoming and Idaho are good opportunity states for hunt options as well as trophy potential. Both states have there units which are loaded with deer and some of those units don't take any points to draw and as far as Idaho it is a great "go to" or back up state as most tags are over the counter and they don't have a point system. PM me if you want to get more specific and I would be happy to hopefully answer any questions you have.