PDA

View Full Version : AR triggers

Musket Man
11-05-2013, 12:58 PM
I am building an AR in .204 Ruger. I have an Aero precision upper and lower and the rest will be mostly DMPS. This is the first AR I have built, owned or used outside of the Army. I plan to use it for varmets and target shooting. I am trying to decide on a trigger for it. I really dont like the standard triggers so I want to put something better in it. I would be happy with something comparable to a standard Winchester model 70, Remington 700 trigger. My biggest dilemma is if I should use a 1 or 2 stage trigger. I am currently leaning toward the new DMPS 2 stage or RRA 2 stage but Im not sure that I have ever shot anything with a 2 stage so Im not quite sure what to expect from them. I would like to stay under $150. Thanks!

shootbrownelk
11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
I am building an AR in .204 Ruger. I have an Aero precision upper and lower and the rest will be mostly DMPS. This is the first AR I have built, owned or used outside of the Army. I plan to use it for varmets and target shooting. I am trying to decide on a trigger for it. I really dont like the standard triggers so I want to put something better in it. I would be happy with something comparable to a standard Winchester model 70, Remington 700 trigger. My biggest dilemma is if I should use a 1 or 2 stage trigger. I am currently leaning toward the new DMPS 2 stage or RRA 2 stage but Im not sure that I have ever shot anything with a 2 stage so Im not quite sure what to expect from them. I would like to stay under $150. Thanks!

Musket Man....get a Timney.

Musket Man
11-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Musket Man....get a Timney.

I have looked at them but they are a bit out of my budget right now. I dont have alot of money to spend on it so Im looking for the best bang for my buck on this gun.

MtnBoy
11-12-2013, 09:44 PM
I have a Rock River with a 2 stage trigger and really like it.

mcseal2
11-12-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm not a fan of two stage, all my bolt guns are 2lb crisp single stage and I like to keep things simple. I had a Chip McCormick in my old AR and loved it. I'm not sure what my gunsmith put in the new one but it works great. It required anti-walk pins to keep from being a burst fire gun though. My advice would be save up for a good trigger, you get what you pay for. An accurate AR really benefits from a good trigger especially if it is a lighter barreled version. The ergonomics of an AR seem to make a good trigger even more important than on a bolt gun to me at least.

Musket Man
11-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Does a 2 stage feel much different then a single stage? Honestly I have never shot a gun with a really good trigger or a 2 stage trigger. I am used to triggers like the model 1894 Win, model 70 Win and 700 Rem come with because that is what I have shot most of my life, well all of my life other then in the army. I never shot well with the M16/M4 because of the trigger and I really believe I could qualify higher with my model 70 22-250 then an M4 with a standard trigger. So I am just looking for a decent trigger at a reasonable price.

mcseal2
11-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Yeah the single stage is crisp and has no creep or take-up, a good one should feel like a glass rod breaking just a real clean snap at the desired pull weight. The two stage has a good amount of take-up then a firm feel and crisp break. Two stage works fine, but I prefer the single stage. I had a Rock River AR with the two stage and I replaced it with the Chip McCormick single stage. Once you get a good trigger I'd bet you will have your bolt guns set to the same weight and improve your shooting because of it.

Musket Man
11-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks mc. That is what I was wanting to know. I was thinking a 2 stage might have some takeup like you said. I will look into the trigger you suggested. If I get to nice of a trigger this is gonna get expensive time I get my other guns redone too. LOL

jlmoeller
11-13-2013, 09:12 PM
I used to shoot a lot of NRA highpower (200 to 600 yds) with a service rifle which required a 4.5 lb trigger. I started with the JP single stage trigger and moved on to a rock river 2 stage. The JP is a good trigger and shot fine. I switched to the Rock River 2 stage because I wanted less perceived trigger weight. Mine had about 2.5 lbs on the first stage and then 2 lbs on the second stage. I really liked it and shot it well. Then I switched uppers and went to the match rifle class. I sent my trigger to John Holliger at White Oak Precision and had him tune the trigger. Now it is 3.5 lbs but it feels like less then 2 lbs. It is amazing. Find some guys in your area that shoot highpower and you will be able to try some different triggers.

In my opinion, if you want a low perceived pull weight put in a 2 stage. If you don't mind the feel of a slightly heavier trigger go with the single stage. There are a lot of good AR triggers on the market. It is hard to make bad choice. Try some and see what you like best.

Jason Moeller

Bughalli
11-16-2013, 01:50 AM
I prefer a single stage for hunting, but ironically when shooting from a bench my groups are better with a two stage. I think I concentrate more. I bought a Timney for my AR. Easy to install, crisp, but it was a pound higher than what it was supposed to be. I emailed them and they told me how to adjust it, but I never got around to it. For the price I expected it to be set properly.

Musket Man
11-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! I think I will go with a single stage and right now I am leaning toward the CMC. The DMPS barrel I want is on back order so I have a couple months to decide.

Kentucky hunter
11-17-2013, 08:16 PM
I ve been looking at the Jard trigger has diff springs you can buy I have a good trigger in my AR but is a little heavy shot a doe at 240 yd with my DPMS takes me a sec or 2 for the trigger to brake for my liking the Jard trigger is 147.99 on midway usa