PDA

View Full Version : Idaho bucks

tttoadman
11-16-2013, 09:37 AM
I decided to try out of state this year. My Brother and I found a mutual friend that has been hunting ID backcountry for a few years, and was willing to show us around. We ended up in the Frank Church.

Good time. People were starting to stack up, so we took these guys after 3 days of covering a lot of ground. We are pretty happy with these, but we know we could have probably done better. It was an awesome experience, and we are pretty sure we want to go back and hit it again.

I really need to work on smiling when my face is cold. I always look so serious.

Ikeepitcold
11-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Not to shabby for ID and having pumpkin heads everywhere. He's got some good mass and I like the dark horns.

mattdeere
11-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Nice bucks Guys!

tttoadman
11-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Why can't my family enjoy our victory with us? Every year they ask me if I had enough sun screen for the top of my head that apparently is getting shinier.

sjsmallfield
11-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Looks like you guys had a fun trip. Congrats on the bucks!

ivorytip
11-17-2013, 07:38 AM
well done, ive enjoyed backpacking the frank church for years, some tof the most beautifull country one can enjoy. see many wolves? nices bucks my friend.

tdcour
11-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Great looking bucks!

Muleys 24/7
11-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Looks like some nice country. Congrats on the bucks

tttoadman
11-17-2013, 09:46 AM
well done, ive enjoyed backpacking the frank church for years, some tof the most beautifull country one can enjoy. see many wolves? nices bucks my friend.

Didn't see any this time. There were a few right in there with us. A guy camped next to us showed us pics of the pure black ones(2 or 3, i can't recall) that they got running together last year. Love em or hate em.......they are pretty awesome.

I was pretty blown away with the country over there this year. I was about 10 miles further south in September when I elk hunted. I know there are rugged areas in Oregon that I haven't seen, but I have a new perspective on what RUGGED and BIG country is. I hate to say I may be hooked. Just need to see if I can/want to pay for it every year.

Timberstalker
11-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Nice bucks ttt! Congrats on what looks like a fun hunt.

Tag stew
11-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Very nice! I have heard the Frank Church can be a great hunt but brutal. Did you guy's backpack in or use horses? Did you run into a bunch of guides? How far in were you guy's? Sorry for the inquisition , just trying to gain knowledge from a reputabalbe source instead of hear say.

Musket Man
11-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Congrats! I really got to go explore Frank Church. Its been on my list for a few years now!

tttoadman
11-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Very nice! I have heard the Frank Church can be a great hunt but brutal. Did you guy's backpack in or use horses? Did you run into a bunch of guides? How far in were you guy's? Sorry for the inquisition , just trying to gain knowledge from a reputabalbe source instead of hear say.

We flew in and spiked about 2 1/2 miles up from the airstrip. I can tell you we were in unit 27, but we were a guest and we are not to tell people where we went. It is a pretty low volume airstrip. After this hunt, I can say with certaintee that hunting up and down these canyons is not efficient. Spiking high is the only way to go IMO.

The "fly in" croud seemed to have a little too much chest thumping for me. If my brother and I go back, we plan to pack up for 7-10 days and only come down when we are done. If I could find a place that I could drive to and spike from there I probably would.