PDA

View Full Version : factors for success

sea bass
02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
If you can choose only one factor in your mule deer success over the years what would it be?

Pepper
02-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Mostly the ammount of time I spend every year. However I attribute all my success to luck. But I am still in search of a huge buck.

sea bass
02-21-2011, 11:49 AM
I would really like to hear Nate Simmons answer to this question......he has been on a roll with mule deer with his bow...Cam who?:)

Pepper
02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
"Cam who?" Lmao, I would love to follow Nate around for a couple days just to see what he knows. I would give anything to tag along with David Long for a couple days. I am sure he has forgetten more about Mule deer than I will ever know.

Nate
02-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Sea Bass,
There has been many factors that have went into my recent mule deer hunting success but if I had to pick just one it factor, it would be the time I have spent filming great mule deer hunters like Guy, Cameron and David Long. I'm not trying to discredit myself, I worked hard and have earned some good deer lately, but without the time afield with these guys, my last few seasons wouldn't have been as successful.

Blue Skies Hunting Advent
02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Nice props Nate! Keep up the hard work.

sea bass
02-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Nate.... that is a lot of combined knowledge to absorb..... the whole eastmans crew seems humble and down to earth...great magazines keep up the good work...

Longtooth
02-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Never give up until the closing bell.

02-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Pain tolerance.

If your not willing to hurt, bleed, cry, be hot, cold, miserable, sore and alone... you might want to try something else.

Elkcrazedfrk
02-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Determination....Thats it for me.

ceby7
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Glassing; your eyes are your best weapon!

tradbowwyo
02-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Passion, lots of passion.

Ikeepitcold
02-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Scoutting!! Always and as much as possible. Even in areas I've hunted many years in the past I always pre scout. I love it when I can go over that next ridge that I've never look over the other side and find a new spring or Quaker patch that looks awesome to hunt.

sjsmallfield
02-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Hours in the field. The more time you can spend in the field the more you will learn. When you quit learning it's time to stop hunting.

graybird
02-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Determination....Thats it for me.

+1 A never give up attitude. You never know what is around the next bend or over the next hill.

clark33
02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Persistence... Keep on keeping on even after most others would have called it quits. The more time you spend in the field the more your odds of finding your trophy go up.

Airdog
02-23-2011, 10:03 PM
This last rifle hunt after spending two nights on the mountain in snow, rain, and cold we came down. I know two nights isn't very long for some of you but it was probably the worst conditions I've ever hunted in. We came down got cleaned up and something to eat. I called up my cousin and told him we won't get anything staying at home. We went up and I shot a 22 inch 4 point. My biggest deer. Long story but we wouldn't have got anything if we have let the weather win. So my factor of success is to get out there no matter the conditions.

pronghorn
02-25-2011, 02:31 AM
I think the keys for me are knowing your area, through scouting and years of hunitng and glassing.

Booner
02-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Being able to rifle hunt the rut. The sandhills of Nebraska hide those big guys really good and if they don't have their mind on something else but surviving and hiding, the BIG ones are pretty hard to get sometimes.

Muleyslayer
02-27-2011, 11:33 AM
#1 Choose easy To draw tags
#2 Draw tags for units that have bucks
#3 Lots and lots and lots of shooting in competition.

You gotta have bucks to get close to, then you gotta make the shot! Without either you're spinning your wheels.

Bobmuley
03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
No way I could cut it down to one factor, but I would put persistence at the top of the list because it helps with all those factors that follow. :)

mcseal2
03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm relatively new to muley hunting and have lots to learn. I found this forum, and just started yesterday reading David Long's book, so hopefully I'm on the right track. I shot my first muley last year on the last day of season, an old 3x4 probably on his way down. We hunted hard for 6 days with temperatures topping 80 degrees in the high country and then I ended up shooting him in the desert below. From what I've seen and learned so far I'd say one of the most important factors is being really familiar with your weapon. Long shots under difficult conditions are pretty common whatever you hunt muleys with. I love shooting so I do lots of practice in the off season. It really pays off when the adrenaline is pumping and your mind is running 100mph to have the muscle memory and confidence to make a good shot.

richard
03-01-2011, 07:36 PM
my last and nicest buck was the last hour of the last day-so- yea dont give up untill the bell rings-but the best advice you will ever get is--walk 50 to 200 yds and stop and sit for 20 mins. and glass!!!!--- i spent many years walking as fast as i could to see what was over the next ridge-- doesnt work!

Tope
03-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Time in the field and a positive mental attitude. My experience is the days get really long after about day 3 on a solo hunt.

Dave
03-06-2011, 10:00 PM
No matter how many sticks, rocks, shadows or stumps that look like parts of deer I glass, I never blow one off, (learned the hard way, lol). Double check everything now.

Sharpstick
03-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Persistence, once you find the buck you're after.

Pronghorn73
03-08-2011, 12:58 PM
For me it has to be the patience I have now that I diden't have when I was younger. Good optics and the ability to sit and glass for long periods has payed off big time. Also the self control to pass on average bucks and wait for the bigs ones.

Elkoholic307
03-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I agree.. good optics and good glassing. It is amazing what you see once you start picking things apart.

Yeager
03-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Passion. Everything else falls into place.

hoytnut
03-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Simply - dedication. Covers it all from research, gear prep, scouting, shooting, training, and then getting after it when it counts.

mattm
03-11-2011, 02:19 AM
I must say that I have had very little success when it comes to closing the deal on a nice mule deer or even elk in recent years. Not for a lack of trying. I did pass up small deer every day on the muzzle loader hunt last year. Couldn't bring myself to shoot the only 2 points left in SE utah. So to you guys that have posted with your pointers, thanks. Hopefully I can turn things around in 2011!!! If not I will still have a damn good time trying!!!!!!!

hoytnut
03-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Stick with it Matt - it will come. And once it does it will all become clear to you. Success is the merging of hard work and a little luck. You put in the time and hard work and the rest will fall in place. Just don't give up!

BADbuckfever
03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
I would have to say my impatience is the biggest obstacle to being successful. I have to fight the urge to pack up and move after about thirty minutes of glassing every time. So, I'm learning patience is huge.

BuckeyeDIY
03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
in respone to Mulieslayer I can't agree more. The more you hunt the deadlier you become, not sitting at home waiting on the premier tag.