PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming Hunt

Whitehawk
11-28-2013, 08:09 PM
My Wyoming Mule Deer, not a giant but its an interesting one that still has velvet on its antlers.
Had a good hunt and a great time. We will go back next year.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Muleys 24/7
11-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Nice. If you ask me I'd say its kinda cool to get a buck in Velvet during rifle. Weird though.

de_ballew
11-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Awesome buck! Gotta love a buck in velvet.

Umpqua Hunter
11-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Whitehawk, just remember to wait until the rifle season opens to shoot them. Don't kill them in August, that's not allowed ;)

AT Hiker
12-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Very cool, did he have any noticeable injuries that may have caused the velvet to stay on...(a.k.a an injury to his testicles)?

Ikeepitcold
12-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Had to be a stag for sure to be in velvet still. It happens more then most think. I've seen it in one of my fav winter grounds for mule deer. There where 3 bucks that where still in velvet a couple years ago. Turns out the boys froze causing the damage. Usually they will be non typical with big racks.

Colorado Cowboy
12-02-2013, 07:18 AM
I've seen bucks that have been injured (not stags)keep their velvet, usually their horns are more deformed tho. I shot one stag a long time ago with velvet and weird shaped horns. He was a really big buck, scored in the 180s NT, lots of mass.

HuntWYODon
12-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Very cool, did he have any noticeable injuries that may have caused the velvet to stay on...(a.k.a an injury to his testicles)?

I've seen that 3 times with bucks in velvet in late Oct.. All 3 were missing their nads.
I heard that older bucks bite them off to keep the compitition down...???? Something like that.

Topgun 30-06
12-04-2013, 05:50 PM
I've seen that 3 times with bucks in velvet in late Oct.. All 3 were missing their nads.
I heard that older bucks bite them off to keep the compitition down...???? Something like that.

***That's a good one, LOL! I'm sure a buck is going to allow another to bite his nads off!!! More than lucky they get caught when jumping a fence.

sjsmallfield
12-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Congrats on a cool looking buck. I killed a nice forked horn blacktail in 2005 that was in velvet the last week of October. He was also missing his nads, his tail and had an eye poked out. I think I did him a favor.

Whitehawk
12-05-2013, 09:15 PM

I didnt see any obvious injuries. I thought it was a little odd for a buck that size to have such small genitals, almost none at all. He was still running with 6 other bucks. One of many groups we saw.
By the way we were hunting in Oct not Aug.