PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Coast Spring Bear....broke out the old gun!

Joe Hulburt
05-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I've been sitting in a very cold treestand off and on all of April trying to kill a big spring bear with my bow but yesterday I had a change of heart. I had taken my old Winchester Model 94 into a gunsmith to get my new 2.5X Leupold Scout scope mount installed and it happened to be done late yesterday afternoon. After a quick dinner I ran out and got it dialed in at 100 yards. It only took ten shots and the last 3 were in the money but man that little sucker kicks!

I headed into a spot that's always seemed like a good place to try and call a bear in as I was tired of sitting and waiting and wanted to try and make something happen. I hadn't been calling for over a minute when I saw black movement off to my left at about 110 yards and I thought for sure he was coming in! Well he ended up sitting down on his haunches at around 100 yards and staring off in the direction of the sound. The problem was there was some brush blocking a clear shot so I called away trying to draw him closer to no avail. Finally about 30 minutes before dark I layed off the calling to see if he would move enough to present a shot and it worked perfect. He originally headed to cover and it looked like I wouldn't be getting a shot but he turned back to the left and walked out into the open and I finally saw just how big he was. Turned out my first guess was correct he was a pretty good bear! 6.5 feet long and around 400 pounds (just an estimate). I hit him perfect the first shot but since I was using my old level action I took another shot at him when he bolted but it wasn't neccesary as he only made it about 20 yards. The old 30-30 came thru with my longest shot ever on a bear. :D

I have to say I couldn't be happier with the Scout scope setup I went with on that old Winchester! I killed a few bucks with it back when I was 12 and 13 but it's been sitting in the closet for years as I'm not much for shooting with open sights and I could never stand the side mount scope set up I tried on it years ago.

Anyhow here he is.......

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn144/joe222_2008/IMG_4374.jpg

MT Muley
05-02-2011, 09:10 PM
That's a heck of a bear! Congrats to you

Mitch

Maxhunter
05-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Nice bear congrats!

griz
05-03-2011, 07:25 AM
That is a great looking bear! Nice work!

RUTTIN
05-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Nice bear thanks for sharing the story!

wolftalonID
05-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Very nice. Man that skull has some wide ears on it! That would have been a blast to hunt! Congrats.

sjsmallfield
05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Great bear! Nice work on the pic as well.

Joe Hulburt
05-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys. Most everything else in Oregon is going downhill but we do have some great bears. The way this guy came running at first I'm sure he's had his share of blacktail fawns and elk calves.

CrimsonArrow
05-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Nice butterball bear! Should be good eatin'

05-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Great looking bear. He will look nice in the living, and probably taste nice in the kitchen.

MT backcountry hunter
05-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Hey Joe,

My dad is handing me down his old Model 94 30-30 and I was wondering what you shoot out of it. I have always wanted a winchester lever gun and my dad said the 30-30 was mine if I buy a gun safe, so one is getting purchased tonight. Wish he would give me the .348 but thats not gonna happen.

Joe Hulburt
05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey Joe,

My dad is handing me down his old Model 94 30-30 and I was wondering what you shoot out of it. I have always wanted a winchester lever gun and my dad said the 30-30 was mine if I buy a gun safe, so one is getting purchased tonight. Wish he would give me the .348 but thats not gonna happen.

Hornady recently came out with what they call LeverRevolution ammo that somewhat redefined what a 30-30 can do IMO. It's got a rubber tip so they can make pointed bullets that really improved the performance of the rifle. I shot this bear right behind the front shoulder and the 160 grain bullet was perfectly mushroomed and stuck in the hide on the off side. I am really happy with the setup!

I've already handed my bolt action rifles down to my kids and had been meaning to buy a new rifle but I'm glad I got the idea to go with the Scout scope and put this one back into service. My dad gave it to me when I was twelve and I will be using it for bears and blacktails for the rest of my life. I usually bow hunt but when I can't the critters are in big trouble!

Rob
05-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Congrats on taking a great looking bear!!!

HuntinFool
05-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Nice work! I love to see those old lever gun getting some love. :)