PDA

View Full Version : Unit G Wyoming Mule Deer BowHunt

eg01004
12-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Well this my first post on the site. After 4 years of collecting points I decided to lock in on an outfitted bow hunt in Unit G for the 2014 season.

I'm real excited and understand it will be challenging and odds will be difficult at best to fill my tag but I'm a die hard archer and am up for the challenge.

Any words of advice out there that will prepare me for my hunt and what is every ones opinion of area G?

I believe I booked with the best outfitter in the area.....he seems to put down giants every year.

Thanks.

Topgun 30-06
12-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Sounds like you've already done your homework and now just practice plenty until the hunt and trust that your outfitter/guide will get you on game. Good luck and post pictures next Fall!

Umpqua Hunter
12-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Yeppers. Don't know if you have hunted with outfitters much, but let them do their job. It's easy to get frustrated if the hunt is not playing out according to the dream we had in our minds, but a good outfitter will usually produce.

eg01004
12-19-2013, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the advice so far....this is my first trip out west and I have heard in that big of country that a good outfitter is invaluable.

To date I've only whitetail hunted and have been rather successful. I plan on practicing how to 60 yards as that is the range where I'd be comfortable shooting at a live animal. Will that be far enough or do I need to practice out further? Also should I go with an expandable or fixed head broad head.....I have used 100 grain Montecs and kill zones both with success?

lostriverproductions
12-19-2013, 05:42 AM
I'm not sure what the rules are for broadheads in WY but if you can shoot a fixed blade constant and accurately that far I would shoot fixed. I like montecs, I also like slick tricks, they fly really well at longer distances. I would Also practice farther just to make the closer shots easier. Pay attention to wind and see how your arrow drifts.

Umpqua Hunter
12-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Another thought, make sure your outfitter is proven successful at bowhunting as is the specific guide you will be hunting with. A lot of outfitters can be good with rifle hunters and be a bust with archery hunters. No doubt a good guide can locate bucks, but you want a guide who then knows how to help his archery hunters put the buck on the ground. That is vastly different than killing a buck 400 yards with a rifle.

bern0134
12-19-2013, 12:31 PM
+1 on practicing at further distances than you plan to shoot. Good Luck and have fun!

Topgun 30-06
12-19-2013, 02:15 PM
73697370All good advice that should be listened to! Wyoming requires a minimum 1" blade and it can be fixed or expandable. IMHO you should stay with your fixed blades from a good manufacturer like what you are using on whitetails and you'll do fine. Hunting mulies out there should be a blast and then you'll probably want to turn your attention to elk out there, as IMHO it doesn't get any better than hunting the rut for screaming bulls with a bow in hand! Here are two that I helped friends take where we hunt in Wyoming. After you take a nice mulie out there, try your hand at elk, as you won't regret it.

eg01004
12-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Outfitter hasn't taken a bow hunters in a few years....after waiting quite a few years accumulating points...sounds like not to many guys want to travel all that way with anything other than a rifle.

He was upfront about that but confident we have a good chance at getting it done. Like I said before, this outfitter has gotten it done on some giants with the rifle for years. I know G is some rough country...just hope I can get in range with the stick and string.

Manualman
12-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Get in shape. Lots of walking up and down hills

In God We Trust
12-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Glad to see you did your homework. Like others have said you need to get into great shape for a bow hunt. I had a buddy come out from Iowa to hunt elk with archery tackle a few years ago. He trained for 6 monthe before he headed out and it made all of the difference. Good luck man.

buckbull
12-23-2013, 08:13 PM
buy a good pair of boots and get in shape. When you thing you are in good shape, you are about half way there.

eg01004
12-24-2013, 04:25 AM
Already started training for the hunt....been accumulating some equipment over that last few years. I bought a Eberlestock Blue Widow pack, a Vortex Viper HD spotting scope, new range finder, and most importantly a pair of Meindl's.

Any other suggestions?

MWScott72
12-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Make sure you have a good, dependable set of rain gear. The archery seasons are early, and often the weather is pretty good, but you can still get hammered by nasty storms in the higher elevations. We spend time up the Greys River every year at the end of July/early August, and last year we got hit with a storm that dumped 2" of hail in about 15 minutes - and that was in the river valley and not on the peaks!

If you like to fish, make sure and bring a fly rod or spinning reel as the fishing that time of year can be pretty good. You can't beat the scenery either!

In God We Trust
12-26-2013, 07:57 PM
I have been using a pair of Meindl's for 2 years now. They are great boots. Make sure you spend a lot of time breaking them in, they are stiff as hell at first.

hubba20
12-30-2013, 10:11 PM
That's where I'll be next year too... I'll be the guy hiking out with a buck on my back ;) hopefully haha