PDA

View Full Version : How many arrows?

T43
05-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Over the past couple days while out breaking arrows, or as I like to refer to it, target practicing. I started wondering, how many arrows do I need to take with me when I go hunting? I know I will have the 5 that fit on the bow but how many more. I figure there is the off chance I will fall and break every arrow in my quiver so perhaps 5 more would be enough. Then I figured if I break 5 carbon arrows in a fall will I even be able to shoot the bow? If not then I figure two extra would probably suffice (I plan on using / losing 1 or 2 shooting grouse and squirrels and such). But I also figure if I did break 5 in a fall and the bow was ok I would need 5 more but I would want to sight it in and have enough to account for a mishap or two in the re sighting process so that would be the 5 plus about 2 or 3. Then I decided to just ask those of you who have been at it a while, how many arrow's / broadheads/ field points do you carry while hunting? What else do you carry extra of?

wolftalonID
05-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Well, I like yourself tend to treat my arrows like bullets. They dont often make it back for a reuse! lol.

I have killed giant rocks. Last year I got one that never took a step...dropped it right there, and my arrow or what was left of it, about 4", did an amazing job of exploding on impact.

Archery for me has been a never ending flow of arrows. I usually take a full dozen with me to camp. Some for plinking at the target with, and the best tuned ones for hunting.
Six broadheads is usually been enough per outing, however, I did last year end up buying more before the season was up. LOL.

I shot competition meets since I was six years old, and only recently started hunting. I swear I have never shook so hard when shooting as you do when bow hunting something. Its amazing how much of a rush it is, and how distracting it can be to your perfect form. I am getting better under pressure little at a time, but for now, I always take more than I think i need.

05-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I like to take my 4 on bow and 6 more in a tube. That gives me some to fall on, some to shoot through birds, and a couple extra. To this point I've only left one arrow in the field. It missed a turkey and ended up some place under some brush down the hill. I looked, couldn't find it.

llp
05-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Having an extra half dozen or so at the truck or camp seems about right. Not that you will very likely ever need the extras, if you carry 5 or so in the arrow quiver. I keep the extras primarily for practice while back at camp, but also to replenish any lost or damaged while out hunting. It never hurts to have a few extra arround, and change to judo heads for stump shooting practice, etc. If you are going through more than 6 braodheads on a single animal hunt (deer for example) then you need to be practicing more before the season.

When hunting multiple species in Africa I only took a dozen arrows. Ended up using about half, and still having plenty left over.

llp

CrimsonArrow
05-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I usually bring a dozen, with at least 6 broadheads. They're light, and if you're already bringing 5, you might as well bring 12. I've never needed more than two, but you just never know what might happen.

Whitetail101
05-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I always have a full dozen with me on a hunt. Depending on which setup I am using, I will have 4 or 5 arrows in the quiver and the rest in a tube in the truck/camp.

I have a 4 arrow quiver for my spot and stalk bow and a 6 arrow quiver on my groundblind bow(I only carry 5 because the 6th spot is taken up with the legs of the Vibracheck Quickstand)

Rob
05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
I take five in with me in my quiver. I keep another six plus a back-up bow and a dozen arrows for it in my truck. If I ever have to I can hike out and re-stock.

hoytnut
05-06-2011, 08:34 AM
I usually carry six arrows with broadheads attached and another three arrows that need broadheads screwed on. Never shot more than two arrows on a hunt yet and I hope I never have to fling all nine.

T43
05-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies, it looks like I'll be taking a dozen with me.

twp1224
05-06-2011, 10:33 AM
I only take five arrows in my quiver. I dont plan on ever shooting more than 5 on a trip. That being said I lost one out of my quiver last year on the hike in. Made me think about taking extras this year.

RUTTIN
05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Depending if it is a day hunt or a week long pack in? When I day hunt I carry four with me, when on longer excursions, I will fill my quiver (6) and have another 6 at my truck or base camp. I figure if I shoot more than that at animals, I better practice some more. Never thought about the falling down on them though and breaking them, that could be bad.