PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Tripod

Justin
05-05-2011, 12:19 PM
What is the best tripod for use with a spotter like the 65 swaro's ?

Graylight
05-05-2011, 02:33 PM
I know that a lot of folks use the Manfrotto's (giant, heavy monstrosities IMO) and you can get a Gitzo that works pretty darned nice but I really like the SMALL Outdoorsmans tripod with a pistol grip... For backpacking purposes, I have cut down the center post to remove un-needed weight. I have packed that thing for miles and miles in the back country and it is hands down THE POOP!

I used it on my last back country hunt... You can see the story here: http://graylightproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=714

There's also a picture of it here if you scroll down... http://graylightproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=913

It works great and I would put it up against any other brand on the market! Again... Just my humble opinion :)

I am really pumped that the Eastmans have started this forum... It's the only other forum I really care to share on... Serious topics with serious hunters... It's great and I hope this info helps you...

Rob P
05-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Marlon, good to have you here. So what is the total weight of your tripod and head?

Graylight
05-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Tripod with the pistol grip and trimmed center post is about 1.7 lbs pack weight...

brudno
05-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Heres what I plan on carrying this year.

SLIK PRO 624CF 1.81 lbs supports 7 lbs, adjusts up to 47" and packs down to 16.3" and is sub $250. I'm still undecided but the outdoorsman pan head or pistol grip/w panning attachment will be in the bag too.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc294/z79outlaw/SLP624CF.jpg

S&S Archery
05-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Heres what I plan on carrying this year.

SLIK PRO 624CF 1.81 lbs supports 7 lbs, adjusts up to 47" and packs down to 16.3" and is sub $250. I'm still undecided but the outdoorsman pan head or pistol grip/w panning attachment will be in the bag too.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc294/z79outlaw/SLP624CF.jpg

I looked at 100's of tripods before deciding to carry these ones this winter. The 624 and 634 are both awesome tripods, really light and stable. If you want to drop some weight the lower section of the center post can be removed as well.

I am using the Slik 634 right now for video and it's awesome. Here's a video I did on them and the Promaster T525p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srKi4GeQ5Rc

bbright
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Graylight,

The Outdoorsman's tripod and pan head has been put on the want list. Not sure if the small will be tall enough for me. Do you find yourself wishing you had a little more height or never really an issue? I sold my Monf. and tripod I got at Cabela's (don't recall the brand). I found myself leaving the spotting scope set-up behind due to weight and that cost me some extra walking miles.

BB

Graylight
05-16-2011, 10:17 PM
BB... Optimally, I would like to have a taller tripod but realistically, were talking about the back country and I never care too much for comfort as functionality comes first! I lay prone or sit crouched and utilize my 20X60mmX65mm Swaro straight just fine... Fact is that these tripods are bomb proof... I really mean it too... They're so tough, that I believe I may still be using it long enough to pass it on to my son one day! Weight is the single greatest factor, then size... I know that there are great options available, I simply decided to roll the dice on the Outdoorsmans and feel that my bet paid off... A great product and system especially with the pistol grip, well worth the coin.

Graylight
05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
BB... I also have an extra pad head if you would rather go that route, if you want to buy one off me, I'll give you a good deal... It is "new" Just let me know...

I have 5 pan heads and two pistol grips.... Soooo, I can stand to get rid of one of the pan heads :)

CoHiCntry
05-17-2011, 08:29 AM
How do you guy's like the twist style leg adjustments? I've grown accustomed to the quick release style and am a little skeptical on the twist style.

S&S Archery
05-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I really like the twist lock over lever. I think it depends though, on a cheaper tripod the lever is probably more reliable. On the Slik's the twist lock is really smooth and it makes adjusting the legs a lot quicker.

12ring
05-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Tripod with the pistol grip and trimmed center post is about 1.7 lbs pack weight...

Greylight, Just curious as to how you are getting this setup that light? What pistol grip are you using? On the outdoorsman.com website it is saying that the tripod weighs 1.8lbs and the bogen 222 pistol grip head is 1.72lbs making their set up weigh in at 3.52lbs. I know that you trimmed the center post and that will cut down the total a little. Thanks for any info you provide.

Graylight
05-19-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm using the Outdoorsmans pistol grip (way better than the Bogen IMO)... The Outdoorsmans is 9.8 ounces, Mine is a prototype they were messing with and the insides are lighter and trigger is cut, so mine is a touch lighter...

SDbowhunter
05-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Greylight, I to am glad your on here, your info is top notch. I to am looking into spotters and tripods so this is all helpful

Graylight
05-20-2011, 12:12 AM
SD, I am glad that you can take something away from what I might assist with... I know it is only my opinion and ultimately I only want the best of experiences for all of my fellow hunters... To me it's all about sharing the knowledge we acquire in the field, some things tougher lessons learned than others. I always pick up good tips from forums like these...

12ring
05-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Greylight,

Thank you much for your explanation. It all makes a little more since now. After looking at the other pistol grip I like the looks of it a lot. Have you had any issues with it?

Graylight
05-20-2011, 09:06 AM
12 ring... Not one issue at all... The most bullet proof, smooth grip I've used...
Greylight,

Thank you much for your explanation. It all makes a little more since now. After looking at the other pistol grip I like the looks of it a lot. Have you had any issues with it?

SDBirdman
08-13-2011, 09:40 PM
The twist style legs are awesome. Grab all of them and with one quick twist all leg segments are free to slide!! I just got a Slik 624 CF and love it. Too short to stand up and glass, but that rarely happens in the field. The compact size and weight saved were worth it.

SDBirdman
08-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I also put a Slik panhead on it. It is very smooth and looks an aweful lot like the Jim White only over $200 cheaper!!

Grizbacker
09-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I am also looking for advice on a lightweight backpacking tripod. I can really only spend around 100$ maybe a bit more. It has to be able to hold up to a 60mm spotting scope steady, and be at least tall enough to sit up behind.

I have heard some decent things abot the vortex high country. However, I am not sure about the ball head on it. I am used to the typical pan head. How do you guys that have one like the ball head?

Any other decent lightweight tripods in the 100$ range I should look at?

Thanks!

Graylight
09-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Grizbacker, the Manfrotto and the one you speak of will work, however, all in that price range will have you wanting for something... IMHO, save a little bit and buy something that you can hunt with for a lifetime...

Grizbacker
09-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Grizbacker, the Manfrotto and the one you speak of will work, however, all in that price range will have you wanting for something... IMHO, save a little bit and buy something that you can hunt with for a lifetime...

Thanks Graylight. What manfrotto would you recommend? Also, what are your thoughts on ball heads vs. typical pan heads for hunting application? Thanks

twp1224
10-04-2011, 01:14 PM
What about a Gorillapod? anyone using one? Do you think they will hold up a Nikon ED50? they are light and can be wrapped around a tree, etc.

GameSlayer
11-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I have a Gorillapod and it is cool that it can be used on trees and stuff but I think it fails in comparison to a real tripod that can be extended. Also I have an older one and had to put a ball head on it, and this does not work well for use with a spotter.. If all you want is a light small/inexpensive tripod to only be used occasionally it works.
I am in the market for a better tripod myself, one for use with my Nikon DSLR with a telephoto lens on it. And to use a spotting scope with as well. Sounds like I need to check out the Sliks, I was thinking a Manfrotto with a pistol ball grip..

Leveller
11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Personally I like the BogPod RLD Series with interchangeable heads for a rifle rest and/or spotting scope. You can also get additional "switcheroo's" to add one to your spotting scope, camera, camcorder etc, so it's even quicker to change over. Best of all worlds. Light and have backpacked in to the wilderness with it too. Same twist style legs as mentioned in previous posts.

A3dhunter
11-23-2011, 08:19 PM
I am also looking for advice on a lightweight backpacking tripod. I can really only spend around 100$ maybe a bit more. It has to be able to hold up to a 60mm spotting scope steady, and be at least tall enough to sit up behind.

I have heard some decent things abot the vortex high country. However, I am not sure about the ball head on it. I am used to the typical pan head. How do you guys that have one like the ball head?

Any other decent lightweight tripods in the 100$ range I should look at?

Thanks!
I had the High Country and was not impressed. One of the clips snapped. Sent it back and upgraded to the Ridgeline, but that seems too heavy and is not smooth with adjusting and the clips. Will be looking hard at the Slik 624 due to the twist lock.

jay
11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
i recently got the Cabela's Vanguard Alta Series Tripod 233AO. I am happy with it but personally haven't had another one to compare it to. It is reasonably priced @ 110.00 on the Cabelas website and have used it a few times and seems to work very well. It weighs about 3.5 lbs., so isn't the lightest but not too bad for the price. Very well built for the $ compared to others on the market, but you may sacrifice weight and quality in this price range. I recently purchased the Minox Compact Spotter on sale for 200 and couldn't see myself paying more for the tripod than the scope, so this was about right on price for me, and am very content with both spotter and tripod for the $.

NMBowhntr
02-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Several of my buddies swear by the Outdoorsman's medium tripod. Their website states they weigh 2.4lbs, and with the long center post, it should weigh 3lbs, just under 4lbs with their pan head, and reaches 63". Overall a can't-miss rig for sure!

I went with the Gitzo Mountaineer Carbon Fiber GT-0541. Weighs 1.7lbs and is 56" tall, which with my Outdoorsman's Pan Head, the eyepiece level on my scope can reach 63.5". Total weight would be 2.25lbs, and can hold 11lbs. You can remove the center post if you want to go super-light and will not need the extra height, in which case you will be limited to 44". Also, the Gitzo has a retractable hook to hang your bag from to stabilize it and decrese vibration on windy days. I do not think the Slik has the handy hook, but it is a sweet looking tripod!

Obvious downside, and only one so far as I can tell is, it is a pricey tripod, but no more so than the Outdoorsman's. The GT-0531 is another option that is slightly less expensive, and reaches 51". Only question is do you want CF or aluminum? Both have pros and cons, like cold metal vs warm CF, does CF dampen vibration better, is the slight weight gain worth it, and is aluminum more rugged than CF? At this price point, it's more about whatever you are passionate about, because both are awesome. Parting thought is that if you have high-end optics and pack in to remote areas, there is no such thing as a good, cheap tripod/pan head. It's an either/or proposition, sorry!