PDA

View Full Version : first mulie hunt

rugerm77
01-30-2014, 11:55 AM
i have 3 deer pts and was hoping to get some knowledge of which units/regions to try and draw for. not expecting a 190 but just a good hunt in some beautiful country. a friend of mine suggested region g?? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Eberle
01-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Tell us a little bit about yourself. It is against forum rules to ask for help on the first post! We expect an introduction. I'd check out the Eastman's MRS. Narrow it down to some units, stick around & contibute a little. Then some people will give ya some advise!

#3333333?

Good Luck!

Umpqua Hunter
01-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Tell us a little bit about yourself. It is against forum rules to ask for help on the first post! We expect an introduction. I'd check out the Eastman's MRS. Narrow it down to some units, stick around & contibute a little. Then some people will give ya some advise!

#3333333?

Good Luck!

Yeppers…it is good etiquette in any situation to introduce one's self before asking for something. Lot's of guys willing to help those who become part of this community.

rugerm77
01-30-2014, 01:40 PM
well first off im new to the forum, im from ohio and have been out west twice before on successful antelope hunts. been saving points for deer and elk. thought i would try and burn my deer points this fall. ive heard that region g is probaly a 50/50 to draw with 3 pts and some pretty rugged country.

rugerm77
01-30-2014, 01:42 PM
have also thought about units 37, 78, 79, 80, 81 via eastmans mrs.

ssliger
01-30-2014, 01:54 PM
have also thought about units 37, 78, 79, 80, 81 via eastmans mrs.

78,79,80, and 81 were just made LE a couple of years ago to try and bring back the herd. Do not waste points in them. I believe it's gonna take a few more years to get the numbers back. I don't know anything about 37.

rugerm77
01-30-2014, 02:11 PM
thanks for the input ssliger

Eberle
01-30-2014, 07:26 PM
I've hunted 78-81 when they were part of D. I hunted 80 this year on a leftover. Numbers are down & it is tuff! If you don't mind paying for a special tag, I'd look into 34.

rugerm77
01-31-2014, 10:36 AM
has anybody had experience with region h or g?

kiddwinner
01-31-2014, 01:21 PM
you could try the big horns?

rugerm77
02-01-2014, 09:43 AM
i will look into it kiddwinner, is there public land available? thanks

Topgun 30-06
02-01-2014, 01:42 PM
i will look into it kiddwinner, is there public land available? thanks

***Why don't you do some research on your own instead of askng questions like that? The Bighorn Mountain units are probably 90% public land if you'd just look at a map for cripes sake. I give out a ton of information on websites, but people like yourself that just come on with a first post and then keep coming back asking question after question like that with obviously no work on their own gets more than a little exasperating to most of us who would be glad to help if you did your part!!! Go hunt H as there is plenty of public land to get lost in and kill a good buck while you're doing it! Geez!!! PS: I've hunted out in Wyoming almost every year since 1992 and have never seen a buck that would go 175", so don't expect a booner wherever you end up on your first hunt out there!

BKC
02-01-2014, 01:55 PM
***Why don't you do some research on your own instead of askng questions like that? The Bighorn Mountain units are probably 90% public land if you'd just look at a map for cripes sake. I give out a ton of information on websites, but people like yourself that just come on with a first post and then keep coming back asking question after question like that with obviously no work on their own gets more than a little exasperating to most of us who would be glad to help if you did your part!!! Go hunt H as there is plenty of public land to get lost in and kill a good buck while you're doing it! Geez!!! PS: I've hunted out in Wyoming almost every year since 1992 and have never seen a buck that would go 175", so don't expect a booner wherever you end up on your first hunt out there! Topgun, don't sugar coat it. Give it to him straight!

Topgun 30-06
02-01-2014, 02:57 PM
I think the 100" of snow we've already had up here this winter and no respite in sight is getting to me, LOL!

NDHunter
02-01-2014, 06:42 PM
It is against forum rules to ask for help on the first post!

I thought it was REQUIRED that you ask for hotspots on the first post!

velvetfvr
02-01-2014, 08:08 PM

Well then I got it backwards, don't think I have asked for any info on anything so far.......

Musket Man
02-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Well then I got it backwards, don't think I have asked for any info on anything so far.......

Thats because you hunt in Nevada where there is a big buck, bull, or antelope behind every bush! LOL

Yooper Bob
02-02-2014, 06:41 AM
TopGun, if you want to feel better about your situation come to the UP for a visit ,home will look a whole lot better.Rugerm77,Region G-H will always hold some good bucks have hunted both especially H.All backpack high elevation hunting,my favorite,good luck

BossBrott
02-02-2014, 11:22 AM
***Why don't you do some research on your own instead of askng questions like that? The Bighorn Mountain units are probably 90% public land if you'd just look at a map for cripes sake. I give out a ton of information on websites, but people like yourself that just come on with a first post and then keep coming back asking question after question like that with obviously no work on their own gets more than a little exasperating to most of us who would be glad to help if you did your part!!! Go hunt H as there is plenty of public land to get lost in and kill a good buck while you're doing it! Geez!!! PS: I've hunted out in Wyoming almost every year since 1992 and have never seen a buck that would go 175", so don't expect a booner wherever you end up on your first hunt out there!

Exactly why I didn't reply right there. Using a forum to do all your homework just ain't right.

Eberle
02-02-2014, 11:23 AM

Only if you use the term "Not looking for your Honey Hole"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rugerm77
02-02-2014, 03:25 PM
I've done a lot of my own research for these regions/units but have never been to any of these regions/units myself. I wasn't asking for "hotspots", just some insight from somebody who's more familiar with them than me.

Topgun 30-06
02-02-2014, 04:58 PM
I've done a lot of my own research for these regions/units but have never been to any of these regions/units myself. I wasn't asking for "hotspots", just some insight from somebody who's more familiar with them than me.

***You could have fooled me when you ask a question about whether the BigHorn Mountains units have any public land, LOL! Like I said before, go down and hunt the high country in Region H. It's got good bucks if you can find them and the country is beautiful! PS: Just don't let a grizzly or the wolves get ya!!!

rugerm77
02-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the info, just haven't considered the bighorns when I replied. I have heard similar info about region h tho, beautiful country but lots of wilderness!

Musket Man
02-06-2014, 06:42 PM
With 3 points you could draw G in the special draw. If you wanted to hunt deer and not use your points you could also draw R 2nd or 3rd choice in the special draw. H you could draw 2nd choice in the special draw but its not very likely. There are other regions you can draw 2nd choice in the regular draw but they will typically have access issues. Its hard to find a good LE unit without atleast 5 or 6 points. Im in the same place as you having 3 points and Im not sure where to use them yet but Im not planning on trying to use them for a couple more years. You can look at the preview maps on mytopo.com and get a good idea of how much public land is in an area. I use them alot when I start to research new areas.

sdebrot
02-09-2014, 10:12 AM
With 3 points you could draw G in the special draw. If you wanted to hunt deer and not use your points you could also draw R 2nd or 3rd choice in the special draw. H you could draw 2nd choice in the special draw but its not very likely. There are other regions you can draw 2nd choice in the regular draw but they will typically have access issues. Its hard to find a good LE unit without atleast 5 or 6 points. Im in the same place as you having 3 points and Im not sure where to use them yet but Im not planning on trying to use them for a couple more years. You can look at the preview maps on mytopo.com and get a good idea of how much public land is in an area. I use them alot when I start to research new areas.

Hey Musket Man thanks for the tip on mytopo.com. That is a helpful sight.

Musket Man
02-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Hey Musket Man thanks for the tip on mytopo.com. That is a helpful sight.

Your welcome. I think Im going to have to buy some maps from them. I am starting to feel guilty about all the free info I get off their site.

Cobbhunts
02-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Me too MM haha. I build the map I want then print the picture lol. Not nearly as good as a full size of course. But good for reference. I built one last night that would have cost $220 lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

rugerm77
02-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Hey musket nan, thanks for the tips. I would have to agree with u on saving pts and trying for a non draw region. In a couple more yrs we should have way more options. Good tip on mytopo.com. Thanks for ur input!

MWScott72
02-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Both Regions G and H are big country and about as tough as it comes. You'd better be in shape if you want to hunt in there...or have horses. If you are neither, you'll be looking at the deer through a spotting scope wishing you could get to them!