PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe this?

Ikeepitcold
02-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I took this story from Guy's Scoping it out of this annual Mule deer issue. What a shame!

The second story that tops my list is crazy in a sad way. In Denver I met a fellow vendor who was hunting mule deer solo in the backcountry of Utah last fall when he slipped and fell, resulting in a blown out, dislocated knee almost three miles beyond the trailhead. The hunter had no choice but to crawl the long and rough three miles back to his truck. After taking all day to crawl only a single mile, his hands and good knee bloodied and bruised, he heard something approaching in the distance. In a few minutes two heavily loaded backpacking hunters appeared coming up the trail. The injured hunter explained his situation and desperately asked for their help to get him to safety before darkness set in.

Much to his surprise, the two hunters declined his request for help, citing that the season was short and they needed to get back to where they were headed before dark. They needed to glass a distant basin, and besides, the injured hunter was too big for them to help. They proceeded to leave the injured hunter on the side of the trail. He crawled all night to finally make it to his truck almost 16 hours later. So much for the backcountry code of ethics! I agree this dude was big, really big, and he is still looking for you two, whoever you are.

ivorytip
02-03-2014, 10:28 AM
what in the hell? that disgusts me so badly; to think any outdoorsman would treat a brother that way. i love my hunting and packing trips but never wouold i value it over another mans life as these gents did. they are no better than the enviros that threaten other human lives for hunting, nope, they are in the same class of garbage.

Drelk
02-03-2014, 10:34 AM
I hope he finds them. Not cool

hvfd21walker
02-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Those guys need a straight up &$s Kicking!!!! What would have happened if he would have died. This world disgusts me sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdub24
02-03-2014, 11:40 AM
In that situation, is it okay to shoot one in the leg??? Even if I was by myself, I would have done everything in my power to not leave this man alone and get him safely to a hospital. Even if that means climbing to the top of Mt. Everest for cell service.

Musket Man
02-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Unbelievable! There are some selfish people in this world but that one takes the cake. If I ran into anyone in that situation in the back country they would not have to ask for my help! I cant even drive by anyone on roads that arent very well traveled without stopping to see if they need help.

MrCreepy
02-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Wow!! That is unbelievable! Makes me wonder if there is another side to the story. Not discrediting the story or its source, but to think a fellow sportsman would do such a thing is difficult.

Timberstalker
02-03-2014, 12:34 PM
That's unbelievable, no way could I walk away from someone in need, even a tree hugging anti would get help from me.

Ghostrider6
02-03-2014, 12:49 PM
This world is full of selfish people and idiots. We see it everyday.

Fink
02-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Whoa... I don't even know what to say about this.

Ikeepitcold
02-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Wow!! That is unbelievable! Makes me wonder if there is another side to the story. Not discrediting the story or its source, but to think a fellow sportsman would do such a thing is difficult.

I'll see if I can get Guy to comment on this and get more info

sjsmallfield
02-03-2014, 01:21 PM
This is just crazy! To turn your back on another hunter in need let alone another person in general is just sick!!

Never in Doubt
02-03-2014, 02:33 PM
wow, sounds hard to believe. to turn down the need of an injured man(or woman) crawling on his knees is cold and heartless. Usually fellow hunters are just people you WANT to see when you are in need.

packmule
02-03-2014, 03:37 PM
There's a special place in the fire for those 2.

Colorado Cowboy
02-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Unbelievable! That's exactly why I carry a SPOT, especially when hunting alone.

velvetfvr
02-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Unbelievable. Whenever I find someone or me and my hunting partners do, I drop my stuff and help out. I spent one whole afternoon this year helping a guy get his truck unstuck and then calling his family and friends to tell them where he will meet him.

2 years ago we went and got our jumper cables in the peak of the morning, so we could help him et his truck jumped.

Disgusting that when someone really needs help, you just leave them. Especially when they are injured.

mnhoundman
02-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Wow! I can't believe someone could be so dam rude. Some people just don't care, how could someone like that even sleep at night! Thanks for sharing.

Montana
02-03-2014, 06:59 PM

that was the first thing that came to my mind too. Not questioning anyone's integrity on the story but possibly questioning the story teller. I would like to believe that we as human beings just aren't this way.

Fink
02-03-2014, 07:11 PM
that was the first thing that came to my mind too. Not questioning anyone's integrity on the story but possibly questioning the story teller. I would like to believe that we as human beings just aren't this way.

I'd like to think that human beings aren't that way either... But people do worse crap than this on a daily basis.

Some people just suck.

Guy
02-04-2014, 09:53 AM
I don't know if there was more to the story or not. I am just relaying the story the guy told me, my wife and Roger Selner of the deer tour. He was a fellow exhibitor at the ISE show in Denver, and seemed very honest and sincere about the situation. Other than that, it was just his word on what happened. -G

Apparition
02-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Oh thats just disgusting!! How for the life of me can someone do that?

The only place Ive ever heard of people doing something like this is Everest, and the only reason they do it, is because not only would the person be dead by the time you got them off that mountain, you would die trying. As they say when you get in trouble on Everest, you might as well be on the moon.

Eberle
02-04-2014, 03:24 PM
This world is getting more wicked by the day! It is hard to believe a hunter would do this. I thought we were one of the few ethical groups left out there!

DABAU
02-04-2014, 05:13 PM
I can't even wrap my head around this. I'm a firm believer in fate. Never want to wish bad on anyone but these guys will pay one day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin Root
02-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Those two guys did not show much in the way of being a good neighbor to that injured hunter. How selfish and uncaring....... One has to wonder if the tables were turned, would the two folks that left the injured man want any help; and if they were in a bad car crash would they want any medical help from anyone passing by?

The story reminds me of the story in Luke 30-37 in the bible, "The Parable of the Good Samaritan" and what it's really all about in Luke 27.

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Luke 27

Musket Man
02-04-2014, 08:07 PM
I think there are very very few people that wound refuse to help in a situation like that. You always hear about the 1 time like this but rarely hear about the other 1000 times the guys that found someone in that situation dropped everything without a second thought and got the injured guy out and drove him to the hospital. i have met alot of people in my travels and have been offered help alot of times when I really didnt need it. I have generally declined their help but there is no doubt in my mind all of them would have helped if I had asked them to. I ran into a guy in Idaho a couple years ago that offered to help me get my deer back to camp and taken care of when he still had his own tag in his pocket. I thanked him and told him to keep hunting and not worry about me, and he still went out of his way to stop by my camp after dark on his way out to see if there was anything I needed help with. On the same trip I blew a tire and some people stopped to see if I needed help. I would rather drive through Oregon on the parts of 395 where there is nothing and very few cars for over 100 miles then to be on 97 where there are lots of people because on 97 the cars will just keep going by and on 395 some old rancher will come by and help me in any way he he can!

marcusvdk
02-04-2014, 10:37 PM
That is absolutely disgusting! I hope that if this is true that Karma pays those two idiots a visit.

I do agree with MM though, this is that one rare occasion that you hear about, versus the other millions of times people have stopped to help out others in need in the woods

HuskyMusky
02-04-2014, 10:54 PM
I honestly cannot believe such a story.

KARMA?

on a side note a story like this emphasizes the importance of when alone/solo to have a cell phone? gps? satellite phone?
as well, a simple small injury when solo can have devastating effects, ie a sprained ankle could mean death!

assuming this story IS True. these guys could have made some calls etc... even if they couldn't carry this man out.
I would even think this would be a crime, so if true, I hope they can figure out who these men were.

Musket Man
02-04-2014, 11:50 PM
I honestly cannot believe such a story.

KARMA?

on a side note a story like this emphasizes the importance of when alone/solo to have a cell phone? gps? satellite phone?
as well, a simple small injury when solo can have devastating effects, ie a sprained ankle could mean death!

assuming this story IS True. these guys could have made some calls etc... even if they couldn't carry this man out.
I would even think this would be a crime, so if true, I hope they can figure out who these men were.

I can believe it. There are alot of *&^###@@@@!*** people in this world. Its just very sad the only 2 people this poor guy ran into were that type. Cell phone, probabaly worthless in that country and if there was service the injured guy would have called someone long before this. Is it a crime? That would be hard to prove but "accidents" happen in the woods all the time! Im sure Guy wouldnt have posted this if he didnt believe it was a creditable story.

Timberstalker
02-05-2014, 07:13 AM
I think there are very very few people that wound refuse to help in a situation like that. You always hear about the 1 time like this but rarely hear about the other 1000 times the guys that found someone in that situation dropped everything without a second thought and got the injured guy out and drove him to the hospital. i have met alot of people in my travels and have been offered help alot of times when I really didnt need it. I have generally declined their help but there is no doubt in my mind all of them would have helped if I had asked them to. I ran into a guy in Idaho a couple years ago that offered to help me get my deer back to camp and taken care of when he still had his own tag in his pocket. I thanked him and told him to keep hunting and not worry about me, and he still went out of his way to stop by my camp after dark on his way out to see if there was anything I needed help with. On the same trip I blew a tire and some people stopped to see if I needed help. I would rather drive through Oregon on the parts of 395 where there is nothing and very few cars for over 100 miles then to be on 97 where there are lots of people because on 97 the cars will just keep going by and on 395 some old rancher will come by and help me in any way he he can!

Hey, I drive 97 every day? But your right, everyone assumes someone else will help out on a busy hwy. I have stopped when people look like they are in need, but if they are on the phone, I just keep driving.

RUTTIN
02-05-2014, 07:32 AM
I have a hard time stopping to help someone on the highway now days with all the crazy stuff going on (people getting shot when you stop). But I always call the proper authorities so they can be helped. But someone on the trail is a different story, especially when you can see they are in need. Last day of the hunt or not someones life could depend on you helping them out. Sad to see that some of our own would do such a horrible thing.

Engideer
02-05-2014, 07:43 AM
I know it sounds difficult to believe, especially when we all know that we would help in any way we could, but I have had a similar experience. I twisted a knee in the San Juan's one day several miles from where I had parked on the trailhead. I knew I would have trouble going back the way I had came, so I thought I would circle around to a closer road and hope to get a ride. I hated to have to ask for help, but I was about 5 miles away and not sure what I had done to my knee. When I made it to the road, the first group to come by were some other out of state hunters like myself. They stopped to ask if I had seen any deer, and I told them about my predicament. They said sorry, but they needed to get their camp set up and drove on. To say that I was shocked would be a huge understatement. Luckily, I didn't have to limp very far before a local guy drove by, he stopped and asked if he could help me. He drove me around to my truck and even offered to drive me on into town. So I can say that while I still firmly believe that 99.9% of hunters are people you can rely on, there are a small minority that are just sorry.

JMSZ
02-05-2014, 07:44 AM
That is seriously screwed up, you would think that the basic "I hope somebody would do the same for me" would kick in.

25contender
02-05-2014, 07:50 AM
I'm sure the injured guy lost all faith when it was said and done. I dont care who you are you help your fellow man. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't help. If I had to I would carry the guy out. It is truly a shame and disturbing to read something like this.