PDA

View Full Version : Back at it again and a weight lifted !!

25contender
02-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Well guys its been a long six days. I finally made the commitment to have a overdue surgery that I have needed for a few years. Seems like hunting or work always seemed to take precedence and finally my doc, surgeon and wife convinced me to get on with it after the first of the year. Well even though it was painful but not life or death I am glad it is over. I went to work for a half day today for the first time in a week and felt pretty good when I got back to the house. I took myself off the pain meds a day and a half ago and that in itself made me feel better over all. I just couldn't deal with the way they made me feel. I can deal with the pain better than the effects the pain killers had on me.

Anyway hopefully in a few weeks I can start working out again preparing for this year (something I thought I would never say!!!). Surgeon has given me some restrictions on my routine but It doesn't matter as long as I can get back to some sense of my general routine. I am really looking forward to this years Elk season and glad that I wont have this hanging over my head. Anyway almost time to start putting in those permits for 2014!! Its hell getting older so you young guys take care of yourselves!! Mark

Work2hunt
02-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Good luck with the recovery Mark. I remember when I had my torn rotator cuff fixed a couple years ago. My wife thought I was crazy that I waited until after the 1st of the year......just so it wouldn't effect my hunting. :cool:

Colorado Cowboy
02-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Keep after it. As we get older, seems like there are more and more things that start to wear out. I will be having ankle surgery the first week in March....soon as I can it scheduled. Got to get after it then and get ready for this fall!

Timberstalker
02-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I hope the recovery is quick! Glad the surgery went well for you. I know what you mean about getting older, I'm only 43 and dealing with back issues. Surgery is likely in my future, not something I'm looking forward to.

25contender
02-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys !! I'm just glad to start getting back to normal. I'm sure it will be well worth it when all is said and done.

Cobbhunts
02-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Wish ya the best, glad you weaned off the pain killers fast. I'm like you, after the initial shock type pain, you can keep the pills. I'd rather deal with it. Best of luck!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

25contender
02-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Had a little set back yesterday. Felt like I took one step forward and three steps back!! Whew Feel better today!!

Jrod
02-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Good to hear you are getting back to a relatively normal routine again. Did I miss it?, what kind of surgery? I had meniscus surgery on 1/9/14. Crutches for 6 weeks! Today is week four. The physical therapy has helped but the boredom is brutal. I cant wait to be at your level of recovery. Good luck.

Musket Man
02-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Good luck with your recovery 25!

marcusvdk
02-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Hope your recovery keeps going well and you can be ready to go for another great hunting season

JEandAsGuide
02-06-2014, 02:18 PM
My dad will have back surgery next month. He couldn't even walk to his deer stand the pain was so bad so he had to ride the 4-wheeler in everyday(which he hates doing). He refused to have anything done until hunting season was over. Glad to hear your recovery is going well so far. Huge plus that you are off the pains meds already. Good luck!

25contender
02-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Well I feel good today and made a trip to work where I sit now. Its just a day by day thing. I will be ready for Elk season. I just cant stand laying around the house. I am being good about following the Docs orders even though I might not want too! :cool:

25contender
02-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Good to hear you are getting back to a relatively normal routine again. Did I miss it?, what kind of surgery? I had meniscus surgery on 1/9/14. Crutches for 6 weeks! Today is week four. The physical therapy has helped but the boredom is brutal. I cant wait to be at your level of recovery. Good luck.

I hear you on the boredom I cant stand it either. I hope you do well with your recovery.
I had some internal surgery done as a result from a Colonoscopy I had a few years ago. It was nothing life threatening but will allow for a better quality of life. It was either live with the on and off pain I had for the rest of my life or bite the bullet and live with the pain from the operation for 3-6 weeks. I am just stubborn and couldn't seem to find the time to have the procedure done. I am glad I did it now.

mnhoundman
02-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Good luck on your recovery, I'm sure it will be worth it. Just take it easy!

hoshour
02-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Good luck on your recovery.

Be aware that you can overdo at-home rehab and set yourself back. My buddy had shoulder surgery and thought more was better as far as his rehab exercises at home. It set him back 3 months.

On the other hand, I had my knee replaced a few years ago, way earlier than most people because when I was in high school a doctor thought it was a good idea to remove all the cartilage from the outside of my knee and ruined it. When I got the knee replaced I worked my arse off and several years later I can hike as much as I want and basically do whatever I want other than run a long way or jump off something. It's great when something gets fixed.

25contender
02-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up. One thing I don't want to do is go through this again. I'm in no rush this is one reason I had it done this time of year. I am normally coyote hunting in February but the 223 will stay in the safe for now.
Good luck on your recovery.

Be aware that you can overdo at-home rehab and set yourself back. My buddy had shoulder surgery and thought more was better as far as his rehab exercises at home. I t set him back 3 months.

On the other hand, I had my knee replaced a few years ago, way earlier than most people because when I was in high school a doctor thought it was a good idea to remove all the cartilage from the outside of my knee and ruined it. When I got the knee replaced I worked my arse off and several years later I can hike as much as I want and basically do whatever I want other than run a long way or jump off something. It's great when something gets fixed.

25contender
02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Well working on my third week post op. This week things are really starting to come back together. It has taken me almost till yesterday to get my digestive system back to normal. The pain is pretty much gone and my appetite is about back to normal. Cant wait till the 26th to get the a-ok from the surgeon to start backpacking and working out again.

Timberstalker
02-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Glad to hear things are going well 25

25contender
02-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Alright received the big ok from the surgeon Wednesday. Really feeling about 80% right now. Also got the go ahead to start working out again starting next week.

Work2hunt
02-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Congrats! But take it slow. I remember when the doc told me I could use my arm again after my rotator cuff surgery. I over did it the first day and my shoulder hurt like crazy for the next 3 or 4 days.