PDA

View Full Version : Region G Wyoming Deer

mattdeere
02-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Well I put in for G last night. Special tag with 2 points. Probably going to be less than the 69% chance it was last year. We'll see what happens. Who else put in for G? Matt

eg01004
02-09-2014, 06:28 PM
I put in for G. I had 4 points and did the regular draw....imagine I should be fine. Anyone disagree?

Musket Man
02-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Neither of you will have to compete with me to draw it. LOL. I think Im just gonna buy points this year.

hoshour
02-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Matt, I'm in the same position you are except I haven't put in yet - 2 pts in the special draw for G. I haven't decided what to do for second choice or if I should get a leftover tag if I'm not drawn.

I'm guessing the odds will be in the 50's so I'm not counting my cards by any means. I am also thinking of tagging on an antelope hunt in 98.

mattdeere
02-09-2014, 07:16 PM
I put in for G. I had 4 points and did the regular draw....imagine I should be fine. Anyone disagree?

Last year it was 100% with 4 points in the regular PP draw.

Do you already know where you want to hunt?

mattdeere
02-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Matt, I'm in the same position you are except I haven't put in yet - 2 pts in the special draw for G. I haven't decided what to do for second choice or if I should get a leftover tag if I'm not drawn.

I'm guessing the odds will be in the 50's so I'm not counting my cards by any means. I am also thinking of tagging on an antelope hunt in 98.

I have 2 points for antelope and I was thinking of putting in for 89, 90, 91 or 92. I have some pretty good intel on the latter 2 zones. What made you choose 98 if you don't mind me asking?

Eberle
02-09-2014, 07:31 PM

You should be fine it was 48.4% with 3 points last year.

Triple BB
02-09-2014, 08:01 PM
I've gotten lucky and pulled the tag three years in a row with zero points. Feeling lucky again this year...

mattdeere
02-09-2014, 08:14 PM
I've gotten lucky and pulled the tag three years in a row with zero points. Feeling lucky again this year...

Isn't G an OTC for residents?

hoshour
02-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Really, I don't know the areas. I just saw that 98 was in G and had a decent amount of BLM and I could draw it pretty easily. I haven't been in that part of the state to scout it, and really can't from NC.

I'm trying to focus in on an area I can draw for deer and antelope frequently as a nonresident so that I can get to know the area since I don't live out there to scout it in the offseason. I'm thinking I may end up focusing on Region K for deer but since I have a couple deer points I thought I'd give Region G a shot this year.

hoshour
02-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Actually, I just looked up the 2013 pref pts needed and I was thinking it only took 1 antelope point to draw 98 but it looks like 1 pt only gets me a 25% chance. It looks like I will have to look at another unit. Of course, if I get drawn for sheep somewhere, I will just go for that and leave deer and antelope for the following year. I only do one trip a year.

mattdeere
02-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Actually, I just looked up the 2013 pref pts needed and I was thinking it only took 1 antelope point to draw 98 but it looks like 1 pt only gets me a 25% chance. It looks like I will have to look at another unit. Of course, if I get drawn for sheep somewhere, I will just go for that and leave deer and antelope for the following year. I only do one trip a year.

So you only have 1 PP for antelope?

Musket Man
02-09-2014, 08:52 PM
My first Wy antelope hunt was in 93 in 2006 and I think it would have been a great hunt if I knew 10% of what I know now. We both killed antelope but would have been completely different with good maps and better planning. Any of those units would probably be good hunts. If there is a good amount of BLM and good access and you have a good map and a gps chip its pretty hard to have a bad antelope hint in WY!

hoshour
02-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Yup, just 1 ppt. It looks like maybe 47 or 48 are the best I can draw w 1 pt, maybe 56 if I want to fight the checkerboard.

Eberle
02-09-2014, 09:30 PM

Yes it is they can hunt any region that is open until they fill their tag.

MWScott72
02-09-2014, 10:33 PM

Yep - sure is. he's lucky for a reason.

shootbrownelk
02-10-2014, 09:24 AM

Mattdeere, we residents don't have regions or points for deer or antelope or elk.

shootbrownelk
02-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Yes it is they can hunt any region that is open until they fill their tag.

We can hunt only general areas with a general tag, not any Limited Quota areas .

bcdeer
02-10-2014, 09:41 AM
I did the same thing last week. Alot of people think that is to much money for the tag but I think the trophy quality overrides that thought. It took me 12 years to draw a Utah book Cliffs tag, A long time to wait for a tag where you might see alot of bucks but the big boys are very few and far between. Region G is rough country though and it can humble you very quickly if your not in shape.

In God We Trust
02-10-2014, 03:26 PM
I put in for the Region G special tag with 3 points. I see Wyoming turning into Colorado and am not going to deal with the point creep BS. I will keep putting in for units throughout the west that take 2-3 points to draw and learn them, this strategy works well and I don't have to wait 10+ years for a tag.

cutback
02-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Well I put in for G last night. Special tag with 2 points. Probably going to be less than the 69% chance it was last year. We'll see what happens. Who else put in for G? Matt
I'll be puttin' in for G. Buck from 2 years ago.....8176

mnhoundman
02-18-2014, 06:56 PM

Congrats nice buck! Did you pack in?Or guided?

mattdeere
02-18-2014, 07:34 PM

Thanks for sharing your buck. He's a dandy! Congratulations. Same question as mnhoundman?

Ridgerunner
02-18-2014, 08:11 PM
That's what I'll be looking for this fall in there as well! Dandy buck!

mattdeere
02-18-2014, 08:51 PM
That's what I'll be looking for this fall in there as well! Dandy buck!

Ridgerunner, have you hunted G before?

Ridgerunner
02-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Yes a couple of tomes

cutback
02-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Congrats nice buck! Did you pack in?Or guided?
Thanks for the kind words. I've packed out 6 trophy bucks since 2000. My hunts are all backpack. This one was a Solo hunt.

mattdeere
02-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I've packed out 6 trophy bucks since 2000. My hunts are all backpack. This one was a Solo hunt.

Congrats on 6 trophy bucks. The buck you displayed is tremendous, can we see the others?

cutback
02-18-2014, 10:36 PM

To be honest, I'm 55 years old and that is the first time I've ever posted a pic of one of my bucks or for that matter, any of the animals I've taken. I'm a little humbled by the interest...

Jrod
02-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Very nice.

Musket Man
02-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Nice bucks cutback! thanks for sharing!!

In God We Trust
02-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Nice bucks, I am very excited to hunt Region G this year.

Topgun 30-06
02-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Beautiful wall of horns there!!!

Retterath
02-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Nice work that's a great trophy room

cutback
02-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks Guys! I appreciate the shout outs.

AT Hiker
02-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Im gonna hunt G now!

Nice deer

4corn
02-22-2014, 05:41 AM
great bunch of trophies. congrats

Yooper Bob
02-22-2014, 06:49 AM
Very nice bucks its obvious you put in the effort,good job

gonhunting247
02-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Nice work! That's a dandy buck. I'm willing to bet most folks don't fare that well. That's an exceptional track record! good luck this year(although from the looks of it, you don't need it!):)

cutback
02-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Again, thanks too everyone for the compliments. As most of you know, Region G is not the unit it used to be. For that matter, I don't know many that are..... Not long ago, you rarely saw another hunter in the back country but, now it feels like, a blaze orange pumpkin resides in every basin. Too many hunters, overharvesting and depredation have wreaked havoc throughout the west, and this unit is no exception..... If you do your homework, get up earlier, work harder and are blessed with a little luck, you can achieve some form of success...... I do believe, this applies to most hunts and units, anyway.....

Umpqua Hunter
02-22-2014, 09:43 AM
I have a feeling Region G is going to have some major point creep this year. Everyone is talking about it. My nephew and his friend will be trying to burn their points there as well.

Just DIY
02-26-2014, 11:50 PM
Successfully hunted region W (unit 82) last season so I am going to build the points for the all mighty region G and in the mean time I am going to chase the bugling bull in Idaho unit 30 this year. Good luck to all who pull the G tag this year. I've chatted with Todd Graham (region G biologist) recently and I will just say that I am jealous that I am not hunting it this year. Already anxious to hear the stories!

Triple BB
02-27-2014, 05:00 PM
I had an Idaho 30 tag last year. Would have to say that is one of the most over rated tags ever. I'd take just about any limited quota area in Wyoming over 30...

bbright
03-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Very nice bucks cutback. I am considering burning 5 pts in G this yr. I prefer to go archery in early Sept though in hopes of beating the crowds. I will be doing backpack DIY type hunt and will try for a 4 day scouting weekend in July or Aug to get the lay of the land. Does this region have areas that lend itself to archery hunting or am I better off waiting until Sept 15? I'd like to keep late Sept, early Oct open in case I draw a rut elk tag in another state. If not G, does H lend itself better to archery deer? Thanks and good luck to those who've already figured your plan out.

mattdeere
03-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Very nice bucks cutback. I am considering burning 5 pts in G this yr. I prefer to go archery in early Sept though in hopes of beating the crowds. I will be doing backpack DIY type hunt and will try for a 4 day scouting weekend in July or Aug to get the lay of the land. Does this region have areas that lend itself to archery hunting or am I better off waiting until Sept 15? I'd like to keep late Sept, early Oct open in case I draw a rut elk tag in another state. If not G, does H lend itself better to archery deer? Thanks and good luck to those who've already figured your plan out.

Below is a response Guy Eastman had the other day for a similar question.

That's a good question. The bowhunt in Region G can be pretty tough, as the deer are very, very high in September and tend to hang out in the wide open basins. The other drawback is that you only have about 10 days or less to hunt the bucks in there with a bow. The rifle season in there opens on the 15th of Sept, and about the 9th or 10th the rifle hunters start clambering around those basins scouting for bucks. No doubt, the biggest deer in WY usually come out of that Region. The hunter success in Region G did increase last year by more than 12% putting it at a 5-year high, so the hunting seems to be getting a bit better each year in that Region. -G

bbright
03-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Hmm. Missing the quote. Which post and I'll look it up?

Musket Man
03-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Hmm. Missing the quote. Which post and I'll look it up?

It was on the last live chat a few days ago.

cutback
03-14-2014, 06:45 AM
Personally, I think it's a coin flip between G and H. I also agree with guys comments on the bucks in the basins although, the massive influx of hunting activity, drives them off the tops, down a little lower. Good luck!

bbright
03-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Found the comments. Thanks for the tip. Decision time!