PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Bison

mnhoundman
02-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Has anyone else heard about this? What do you think? So instead of making money for the state hunting bison, to cut the population they are capturing them and taking them to an Indian tribe so they can slaughter them and bring them to market. Does this make sense to anyone? We are capturing them at our tax payers expense!

packmule
02-13-2014, 01:40 PM
First I've heard of it and the plan makes no sense.

libidilatimmy
02-13-2014, 01:45 PM
I've heard of similar things in the past, but the tribes were getting the buffalo for ceremonial purposes. After much public debate, the deal never went through due to the risk of spreading brucellosis to domestic cattle herds.

mnhoundman
02-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Saw it on yahoo news yesterday and today they said it started they captured 20 already.

mnhoundman
02-13-2014, 02:03 PM
If you search Yellowstone bison slaughter on yahoo it comes up if anyone wants to read it. I don't know how to post the link on here.

mntnguide
02-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Here is the article on Jackson hole radio website.... http://jacksonholeradio.com/?p=17412

mnhoundman
02-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Here is the article on Jackson hole radio website.... http://jacksonholeradio.com/?p=17412

Thanks for adding that!!

AT Hiker
02-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Idiots! Maybe they can capture some of the wolf there too and send them to the reservations for slaughter.

Kinda like the giraffe in the zoo, instead of selling him or nuetering him they killed him on site.

weigand
02-13-2014, 09:31 PM
This whole concept is so screwed up where do you start? Who let Montana Department of Livestock run montana. *sigh*:(

Musket Man
02-13-2014, 09:42 PM
I thought the wolves ate all the Buffalo. lol

birdhunter
02-14-2014, 06:37 AM
They capture the bison that migrate onto private land with cattle. Bison carry a brucellosis disease that if the livestock catch, they will abort all their calves. They have been doing this for some time now. Some years its a lot and others its a few bison. Once again its all stemming from landowners pressuring that something be done. Its a pretty simple system if you haven't seen it done before. I assume that's why they won't offer more tags (which would be nice).

Fink
02-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Bison carry a brucellosis disease that if the livestock catch, they will abort all their calves. They have been doing this for some time now.

Yet, there's never been a documented case of domestic cattle transmitting brucellosis from a wild bison...

ivorytip
02-14-2014, 08:07 AM
amen fink, amen.

Musket Man
02-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Brucellosis is a big concern in beef cattle. If I was running cattle around there I wouldnt want Buffalo that could have it mixing in with my cows either.

mnhoundman
02-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Why the hell haven't they been maintaining the population already? Just like the wolves, wait till it's to late. So they couldn't let a certain amount of people in to hunt a few in the fall?

mntnguide
02-14-2014, 04:47 PM
They have been culling the bison herd every year in yellowstone for many years. This isnt a new thing, just getting more recognition for some reason this time. . It is illegal to hunt inside Yellowstone, and they arent about to try to activate a new legislation to allow people to be part of the cull process when they dont need to. Other national parks, such as Teddy Roosevelt in the dakotas and even Grand Teton just north of Jackson have "reduction programs" in place. I dont believe you will ever see that occur in Yellowstone. The antis would go ballistic...

AT Hiker
02-14-2014, 08:23 PM
They have been culling the bison herd every year in yellowstone for many years. This isnt a new thing, just getting more recognition for some reason this time. . It is illegal to hunt inside Yellowstone, and they arent about to try to activate a new legislation to allow people to be part of the cull process when they dont need to. Other national parks, such as Teddy Roosevelt in the dakotas and even Grand Teton just north of Jackson have "reduction programs" in place. I dont believe you will ever see that occur in Yellowstone. The antis would go ballistic...

When Teddy visited Yellowstone his intentions were to hunt and take back some taxidermy samples, after he caught heck over it he decided against it (at least it was not documented to my knowledge). He did skin a few rodents for the taking though!

IMO a proper wildlife management plan could be instated for places like Yellowstone, all it would take is proper ethical legislation and the backing of major wildlife groups. If we can re-introduce a extinct animal then we can save the ones already there, EDUCATION is the key but man do we lack that nation wide.

mnhoundman
02-14-2014, 08:56 PM
When Teddy visited Yellowstone his intentions were to hunt and take back some taxidermy samples, after he caught heck over it he decided against it (at least it was not documented to my knowledge). He did skin a few rodents for the taking though!

IMO a proper wildlife management plan could be instated for places like Yellowstone, all it would take is proper ethical legislation and the backing of major wildlife groups. If we can re-introduce a extinct animal then we can save the ones already there, EDUCATION is the key but man do we lack that nation wide.

Well said AT hiker! Unfortunately our government isn't that smart!!

packmule
02-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Great opportunity to create some more auction tags.

AT Hiker
02-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Well said AT hiker! Unfortunately our government isn't that smart!!

No joke!

But it is OK to catch and kill every lake trout in Yellowstone (because they are invasive species) but we cannot soundly manage our other critters? Our countries leadership has over dosed on stupid pills for sure!

Musket Man
02-15-2014, 07:04 PM
The first step to managing Yellowstone would be to get rid of the non native wolves that were introduces there that have killed most of the elk and moose.

packmule
02-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Yep...reducing predation is always toward the top of management goals. I wouldn't shoot them though, they should be trapped and dropped off in D.C.

Bitterroot Bulls
02-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Ummmm,

They have been doing the hazing/slaughter deal with the tribes for decades. I am not super upset about it.

As far as how real the brucellosis threat is, it is hard to say. The "no-slaughter" side says, "There has never been a case of brucellosis being passed from bison to cattle! Let them roam!" while the ranching side says, "There has never been a case of brucellosis being passed from bison to cattle! Our hazing/slaughter program is a success!"

One thing is for sure, bison are pretty resistant to wolf predation!

Musket Man
02-15-2014, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't shoot them though, they should be trapped and dropped off in D.C.

Cant take the risk of them getting loose before they get there! need to put a good bounty on them and get out of the way like they did years ago

packmule
02-15-2014, 08:10 PM
That would likely be the best option....or do them like we do hogs here and chase them down with a helicopter and shoot them.

What are fence laws up there that makes it hard to separate bison from cattle?

Musket Man
02-15-2014, 08:16 PM
What are fence laws up there that makes it hard to separate bison from cattle?

Most Buffalo dont care for fences much. I expect its some of the problem the ranchers have with them.

packmule
02-15-2014, 08:19 PM
That's would be my issue with them, have to go to pipe fences to be effective or put a lot of heat on them.

Musket Man
02-15-2014, 08:27 PM
barbwire dont mean much to a buffalo. Anything else costs tomuch (for a rancher anyways). We used to train cutting horses with buffalo, even those arent quite domesticated yet. lol

packmule
02-16-2014, 09:14 AM
They pay attention when they get lot up like a Christmas tree. :D

Here's a story about a rancher tired of them down here.

http://m.gosanangelo.com/news/2010/jan/29/51-buffalo-killed-after-they-strayed/

Musket Man
02-16-2014, 07:24 PM
51 is alot of buffalo to kill. It sounds messed up but I imagine there is another side to it too.

packmule
02-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Yeah, they kept tearing down the fence and getting on the neighbor's fields and messing up their fences.

Musket Man
02-16-2014, 07:54 PM
I figured it wasnt the first time it happened.

packmule
02-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Oh no, the other side of the story was that it was a regular deal and it was the best way to send a msg.

When we're in Jackson I see that the ranchers have dropped down a few of the top poles on their fences to keep them from laying them over.

Musket Man
02-16-2014, 08:09 PM
That should get the point across!

ivorytip
02-16-2014, 09:14 PM
ive seen buffalo several times outside of the park in with cattle in the island park and surounding area. as far as fences go, those big beasty animals can jump over your typical western cattle fence. i watched one by one as 3 big bulls walked up to the fence, bumped thier heads, lifted head up and jumped over the fence. there is no reason that we dont know 100% sure that buffalo can or cannot pass on bruc.... to cattle. we have beefalo farms all over the place. lets get a bruc buff in with a cow and test it out and see the results. id love to be able to hunt buffalo, but also know that if they were free ranging it would hugley impact the feed for our cattleman and nobody needs that.

Musket Man
02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
One of these years Im gonna buy a buffalo for the freezer!

packmule
02-16-2014, 09:42 PM
They're pretty tasty.

Musket Man
02-16-2014, 09:53 PM
We used to have some we trained cutting horse with and we butchered a couple. They were really good!

Shot the first one in the head just a bit low with my 22 mag. That buffalo just shook its head and blood started coming out its eyes. 2nd shot got it done!