PDA

View Full Version : Success rate for the backcountry bowhunters.

RobinHood
05-17-2011, 09:03 PM
I wanted to get a thread going to see the success rates of the back country guys here on the site. Obviously some have been at this game a lot longer than others, so their experience is going to affect their success. But this will give those first year guys a little bit of encouragement. Especially is they find it to be a little tougher than expected.

I hope everyone will be honest about their experience and their success rates. Anyone who has even done one backcountry hunt knows it is hard. So there is no need to beef the stats. I will start.

2 backcountry bow hunts- 50%
1st year, skunked with no shots. 4 days 3 night and I struggled through everyday.
2nd year, decent 3pt. No monster but I spotted him, put him to bed, put the stalk on and hammered him at 18
yds. Pretty cool :cool:

T43
05-18-2011, 08:13 AM
I can't wait for this thread to fill up. I recently got my first bow, will be signed off on bowhunters ed tomorrow and will be doing my first back country bow hunt this year. I am actually looking forward to doing a back country hunt in early to mid September as opposed to late October or November. This will also be my first chance to hunt the rut.

Firearrow
05-18-2011, 12:25 PM
CA blcktail 3 years in the Trinites, 0 success. Passed up small ones, and saw 2 NICE 3 points with eye guards.
CO elk. 1 year, and I connected with a nice 6 point bull.
NV deer. 1 year (last year). Nice 3x4.
This year. Hopefully CO 170 class buck, or sheep/goat.

BOHNTR
05-20-2011, 03:09 PM
I had to think about this one. Between CA, CO, and UT I've been on 10 archery back-pack trips for either mule deer or blacktail. I've taken deer on 7 of those trips.

goindeep
05-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Archery- 2 for 4

muzz- 2 for 2

pcc2b
05-28-2011, 04:36 PM
2 backcountry CO hunts in WA's for deer.
2008 saw some jawdroppers, bad weather, 7 days, no stalks
2010 8 days in the flat tops 2 bucks, 15 sheep, 100's of elk, not a single stalk.

hoping to break the trend this year and bring something back to TN!

SDbowhunter
05-29-2011, 05:02 PM
I also am looking forward to my first Backcountry hunt this year in MT, I've done a lot of backpacking and have bowhunted and taken 3 deer with my bow in the last three years. I've had a bow for almost ten years, but picked it up hardcore 3 years ago ! I'm super excited for this fall !

elktracker
05-29-2011, 07:24 PM
This is a great thread, interesting to see how others are doing. I'm 0 for 2 for elk and antelope right now. Hoping to change that this year. I haven't really tried deer with my bow yet but plan to this year. I got my bow in Dec '08 and haven't killed anything bigger than a prairie dog with it so far, I've had a blast trying though. I have passed up a few slam dunk shots on cow elk and had quite a few close calls with bulls varying in size from spikes to 300" 6 points. I've gotten pretty close to some decent buck antelope but haven't got drawn back on anything yet. Bowhunting makes rifle season seem so much easier though lol.

SDbowhunter
05-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Bowhunting makes rifle season seem so much easier though lol.

It sure does, but it sure is rewarding, and fun !

Liv2HntBigBullz
05-29-2011, 10:33 PM
I am 0-1 on CO back country deer.

Put together a great stalk on a beautiful and big 3x3. Had him at 15 yards bedded. Thought now is the time, came up to my knees and drew. It was textbook until he stood up and all I could see was his face looking at me through the brush and no vitals to shoot for! Guess I should have stood up to compensate for the mountain mahogany and curve of the hill. Wanted to burst out in tears as he ran off.

0-3 on archery goat hunts. While not necessarily back country, I do live in the back of my Pathfinder during those hunts.

Hoping this year to break the dry spell and stick a bull with my bow.

Firearrow
06-17-2011, 11:43 PM
2 backcountry CO hunts in WA's for deer.
2008 saw some jawdroppers, bad weather, 7 days, no stalks
2010 8 days in the flat tops 2 bucks, 15 sheep, 100's of elk, not a single stalk.

hoping to break the trend this year and bring something back to TN!

My buddy hunted the Flat Tops last year for rifle 1st season, and his son shot a cow. They didn't see much. They should have hired you as ther guide. :)

Twojump
06-18-2011, 11:20 AM
This will be my 5th backcountry solo bivy hunt... very, very close last year on a 3pt bull at about 40 yds (no shot), but got busted by the Spike in the group at 20 yds...
0-4 right now on bivy hunting....
Shot 1 nice Mulley Buck with my bow out of a base camp in the same general area after I got started bowhunting 5 years ago... and 1 Blacktail Buck in the Coast Range in Oregon
Will get it done this year!

fatrooster
07-12-2011, 10:22 PM
My first year to bowhunt was 2007. Shot my best buck ever which scored about 160" but was 27" wide on the main frame outside spread. He had a sweet kicker which put his outside spread to 31.5 inches. I've hunted bow every year since then with zero success rate. Not because my stalks weren't working out but because I honestly did not find a buck that I wanted to go after. Also, I've been helping a couple of other guys try and get thier first buck. I did however shoot a buck in 2009 that I did not recover. I was bivvy hunting alone, put a nice 160's buck to bed, staked him and shot him. When he heard the shot he jumped and I hit him in the meaty part of the neck. I searched for him for two days and came back in several days later looking for him. I was pretty downhearted when I didn't find him. But I was very happy to see him in 2010 hanging out in the same spot with the same 3-point buddy. Unfortunatley, he saw me at 600 yards and moved over the mountain. This was opening weekend. I never saw him again until the last day in the next canyon and never had a chance to get close to him. He was definitely a more cautious animal. I know his trick now and will try to get him during the muzzy season this year. Yeah, I said muzzy. A friend talked me into putting in for muzzy as one of my choices and Thats the tag I got. Its killing me not to hunt archery this year but I'm gonna make the best of it. By the way, that buck grew a little from 2009 to 2010. I'm guessing that he was a 170's buck last year. Here is his picture.
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/fatrooster/2010deerhunt006.jpg