PDA

View Full Version : Arrows for bear

T43
05-19-2011, 09:37 AM
I have done a lot of reading about what people think is the best arrow for elk but it just dawned on me. I could be presented with a chance at a bear as soon as this weekend if everything works out. I just planned on using the arrows I have that I was going to take elk hunting but I started thinking, is there a better option? My current set up is about 413 grains including 100 grain G5 Strikers. I'm wondering if I should look at something heavier. What do you use?

Maxhunter
05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I use the same arrows that I hunt all western game. You'll be fine with you're current set-up. I'm going brown bear hunting this fall and will use my 400 FMJs at 417 grains with 100 grain 2-Blade Magnus buzzcut. I have a friend that lives up in AK and he said my set-up would be more than enough he's taken 5 brown bears with 60lb bows. I've always got pass-thrus on elk so it'll be more than plenty for a black bear.

bearfeeder
06-08-2011, 07:54 PM
I been using G-5 Montecs with Carbon Express Maxima Hunters on Alaskan Black Bears for years ,with good sucess,One 7' with 19 15/16 skull and one 6'4" with 18". and quite a few 6 footers.Most expire a lot easier than a Whitetail,if you wait for a broadside shot.I have seen them go forever with a single lung shot.

OR Archer
06-08-2011, 11:23 PM
What you are using is more than enough for a black bear or even a grizzly.