PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Section, should we add one?

ScottR
03-18-2014, 12:47 PM
I go back and forth on this, for multiple reasons. However, I want to hear what you guys have to say about adding a sub forum just for this.

If we go this direction I don't want it to turn into a chest pounding match or anything of that sort. I want it to be about what real world middle class guys do to stay in shape for the hunt. For instance, if you are a jogger how many times a week, what distances, and how long did it take you to get there?

What are your thoughts on this?

Timberstalker
03-18-2014, 12:56 PM
I'm good without it.

NVBird'n'Big
03-18-2014, 01:40 PM
I think it would be good, the fitness challenge threads in the past have been very popular. A central location for training threads would be nice and might encourage more talk about it. Threads wouldn't get lost buried in Other or Back at the Tailgate as well. It's something most all of us do getting ready for the season and a section that could get to more specific topics could be nice and motivational.

Kevin Root
03-18-2014, 02:23 PM
I kind of like the idea. With the focus being more on information, helpful, inspirational and motivational would be awesome. I'm not wanting it to be something where I'm competing with anyone. I just want to be able to get up and down the mountains better to help me hunt out there and enjoy the outdoors as long as I'm able to.

Umpqua Hunter
03-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Nah…I've killed some of my best animals when I was in lousy shape, including my avatar ram on a solo backpack hunt. Just took it slow and steady. My dad just taught me to never give up.

ScottR
03-18-2014, 03:26 PM
This is the idea behind mountain fitness IMO. It's all about getting to the place you plan to hunt and then recovering quick to be able to make a stalk when you find the animal you want to harvest.

NVBird'n'Big
03-18-2014, 03:29 PM
I kind of like the idea. With the focus being more on information, helpful, inspirational and motivational would be awesome. I'm not wanting it to be something where I'm competing with anyone. I just want to be able to get up and down the mountains better to help me hunt out there and enjoy the outdoors as long as I'm able to.

Exactly, no competition stuff

Ikeepitcold
03-18-2014, 04:09 PM
I'm on the fence. I say give it a try and see where it goes. If it turns in to a crap show remove it.

jjenness
03-18-2014, 04:50 PM
I like the idea. It is nice to get some motivation every now and then from like minding people. Agreed that it shouldn't be about competition, but more about every day Joes and what we do to stay fit, if anything:D.

rcfireninja
03-18-2014, 04:52 PM
I'd like to see what others are doing to get in shape for backcountry hunts. Would let me know if my plan is on the right track.

westenvy
03-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Give it a try. I'm always looking for new ways to keep in shape.

25contender
03-18-2014, 05:27 PM
I like the Idea. As I get older I realize the training I do is as much about strengthening parts of my body so I don't get injured while in the back-country as well as general endurance and cardio training. Would be nice to have the threads in one place.

Work2hunt
03-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Sounds like it worth a try and I'd be interested to see what others are doing and the progress they are making in there goals.

d.kerri
03-18-2014, 08:20 PM
A guy named Cameron Hanes has a bunch of stuff on fitness. Very motivational stuff. He ties his archery stuff into his workouts in pursuit of becoming "the ultimate predator." He's worth checking out.

marcusvdk
03-19-2014, 02:04 AM
I would be fine with a fitness section as long as it doesn't become a competition or beat down session. The other thing you could throw in that section would be like a safety section on what to bring as far as first aid supplies and ways to treat/procect injuries you get in the field. of course just an idea!

RockChucker30
03-19-2014, 07:44 AM
I think to make it a success you'd need a moderator with a lot of knowledge to post frequently and educate. If you find the right person it would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR
03-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Stay tuned, we are going to add it.....

ckink65284
03-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Cool. I like the idea of sharing workout and nutrition information. Helps keep me motivated. I look forward to it.

buckbull
03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
A guy named Cameron Hanes has a bunch of stuff on fitness. Very motivational stuff. He ties his archery stuff into his workouts in pursuit of becoming "the ultimate predator." He's worth checking out.

Yep, Cam used to be the bowhunting editor for Eastman's as well I believe. He is certainly in the older Eastman DVDs I have.