View Full Version : New Mexico Draw

05-24-2011, 06:08 AM
Looks like I will be hunting unit 52 for mule deer and bear. Anyone have any suggestions for unit 52? I have seen a really good bear and a really good mule deer in unit 52.

05-24-2011, 08:03 AM
I didn't think the results were supposed to be up until the frst week in June.

Doe Nob
05-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Musta got a landowner tag. Never been in the unit, but good luck, take lots of pictures and post the aftermath for us!

05-24-2011, 09:20 AM
I believe a LO tag for deer would be ranch only and a bear tag would just be over the counter until the quota was filled.

I have seen some deer in unit 52 that were absolutely huge, find some feeding areas that are tucked away and surrounded by lots of thick forest

05-24-2011, 11:52 AM
How did you find out. I went to the New Mexico game and fish and my account is still saying "pending".

05-24-2011, 02:14 PM
mine says pending also...

05-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Tell us your secret, whats your in? How did you figure your drew?

05-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Mine says pending also, but I saw a list that only had my third choice on it. I knew I was dreaming on the first and second so when only third choice was listed I just assumed. I may get disapointed again on june 8th.
Mrelite, you are spot on.

05-24-2011, 07:33 PM
I have an app for bear in the Jicarilla yet. I always hunt/kill in Ne. thats still on.

05-24-2011, 11:42 PM
I hope you are right because I seen a list that showed only my second choice. Question for you, was your third choice the highest tag price you applied for? I applied for a standard hunt for choice #1, a high demand hunt for my second choice and a standard hunt for choice #3 and like I said I found a list that only shows my second choice hunt number. I assumed that it showed the hunt code have referenced the highest upfront fee paid, I hope I am wrong and drew my second choice, I would be a happy camper (and would be hunting a great New Mexico Elk unit too come October 22nd).

05-25-2011, 05:01 AM
My third choice was a standard hunt, any legal weapon. This is not a high demand hunt and for good reason, there are not a lot of deer. I would expect to get drawn. It is my back yard.

06-05-2011, 10:02 PM
OK guys. You know we're gettin down to the wire. Time to get serious. I just emptied out my inbox of all my Match.com e-mails. All clear for NM!

Doe Nob
06-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Well I hope u have more luck in the draw than u did on match.com!

06-06-2011, 12:59 PM
If they are not hot I tend to get lazy and let them pile up there without replying. :)

06-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Best of luck to all, the moment has arrived!!
No matter what I still get to hunt Oryx and there is a good chance I will get my deer tag which is a Sept and a January hunt this year, If I can get lucky and get a BHS or a Elk tag it sure would make the year spectacular.


06-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Drum roll.........................good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Got my 2nd choice draw for mule deer in unit 52, also bear tag. Waiting on Jicarilla bear draw. I will go to Nebraska deer hunting and Arkansas bear hunting for the big bear. All in all prety pleased.

06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Congratulations! The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish is notifying you that you were successful in drawing a 2011 - 2012 hunting license for the following hunt code(s): ANT-1-103


Doe Nob
06-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Mule deer archery 37 - unguided NR, 3rd choice.

07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Recieved deer license yesterday and today the forest is closed due to fire danger. Our house in Colorado is under strick fire restrictions. We need rain.

07-01-2011, 09:10 AM
I got my Unit 2b Middle Rifle Tag in the mail yesterday and Dad got his in the day before. Time to get a gameplan together.

Doe Nob
07-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Pray for rain, can't scout now, fires and forest closures all over!

07-04-2011, 09:02 AM
I'll be bowhunting in unit 45 and they have the whole unit closed. However, the Pacheco fire is under control and they've gotten rain the last 2 nights. Called to get some trailhead information from the forest service and they thought the closure was their ticket to not having to help me! They said, well it could still be closed in September. Ya right. I never did get any information on the access around that TH. Figure I'll just drive up there and see how far back in I can get.

07-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I don't think you'll get too far if you come in the near future. We're going to have to get some major rains for anything to change.

07-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Well I can't go anyway, I had a little set back, open heart surgery.

Blue Skies Hunting Advent
07-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Well I can't go anyway, I had a little set back, open heart surgery.
Hope you get feeling better soon.

07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
sorry to hear that xtreme, hope you get better soon.

07-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Well I can't go anyway, I had a little set back, open heart surgery.

Woah! You mean this is something that just happened in the last 2 weeks???

07-15-2011, 09:13 AM
good news guys, i heard on the news this morning that fire restrictions were lifted down south in the Gila so hopefully the north will follow shortly...

07-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Yep, wasn't expecting it. I might get in a little scouting in early august. I do have some young friends that live in Antonito who will help me.

07-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Well sounds like a good time to have friends that can help salvage what you can of your hunts. Hope they both work out for you. Just take it easy and stay disciplined as to what the doctors say for limits.