PDA

View Full Version : Fort Hood.

Musket Man
04-02-2014, 07:01 PM
1 dead, 14 injured in another Fort Hood shooting today. They think the shooter is dead too but its not confirmed yet. What is wrong with these people..........

http://news.yahoo.com/official-1-dead-14-injured-fort-hood-shooting-232511359.html

Colorado T
04-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Just heard they confirmed the shooter dead, killed himself. I just don't understand it!! I am worried what its going to be like when my kids get older and they start having kids. Just is getting worse and worse!!

Musket Man
04-02-2014, 07:32 PM
I dont get it either. Right or wrong I can see why some people kill another person but this opening fire on random ppl makes no sense at all to me. Especially in the military.

velvetfvr
04-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Mm, the world is crazy. And the kids in today's high school aren't all that bright either.

Musket Man
04-02-2014, 09:02 PM
The 1 that did it was 34 and in the army. Now it says he killed 3 and himself. I dont know any more then that but it aint right when a guy wearing your uniform turns on you like that.

packmule
04-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Ppl are crazy.

marcusvdk
04-03-2014, 01:46 AM
just crazy.

Ikeepitcold
04-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Just saw this on the news. What a sad day. They said he was being threaded for mental issues from being deployed.

Colorado Cowboy
04-03-2014, 08:27 AM
The really sad thing (in addition to the dead and injured) is that this was probably preventable. We have a broken system when it comes to background checks. He bought the handgun recently off post. As soon as he started the evaluation process and treatment for depression and possible brain injury, the Army should have notified the FBI (who does the background checks) to indicate his situation and keep him from passing the background check as he obviously lied on the background form he filled out.

A really sad deal for sure.

Retterath
04-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Sad deal, just dont understand why people do this. Wish they would seek out help before even thinking of doing such a thing.

25contender
04-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Very sad day. Called my brother make sure all was ok he is stationed at Ft Sam Houston as he frequents the Ft Hood Medical Center regularly.

Musket Man
04-03-2014, 11:31 AM
The really sad thing (in addition to the dead and injured) is that this was probably preventable. We have a broken system when it comes to background checks. He bought the handgun recently off post. As soon as he started the evaluation process and treatment for depression and possible brain injury, the Army should have notified the FBI (who does the background checks) to indicate his situation and keep him from passing the background check as he obviously lied on the background form he filled out.

A really sad deal for sure.

CC, I have to disagree. If everyone with PTSD was handled like that 1/2 of returning vets would fail the background check and not be able to buy a gun, including my self. It would also keep alot of vets from seeking help because they wouldnt be able to pass a background check or buy a gun once they did. There has been some talk about this and Im very concerned they will try to make everyone that has sought help for PTSD automatically fail a background check. Back ground checks dont do whole lot of good anyways. If someone like that really wants a gun they will get 1 weather they can pass a background check or not. Anyone that knows they wont pass a background check will get their gun another way, there not going to go through an FFL dealer. All background checks do is cause honest law abiding people problems like delaying me 4 times out of 5 so I have to make another 25 mile trip to my FFL to get my gun a few days later.

xtreme
04-03-2014, 11:51 AM
PTSD is real. My friend, a viet vet has it bad, but thanks to the VA he is being treated. I returned from Viet Nam with some problems and was never treated for it. I feel lucky to be able to weather the storm. My viet friend thought the VA turned him down so he did nothing. A hunting partner brought him to visit from 130 miles away and I made sure he got help. Now he has all the symptoms of agent orange, too. Just saying I can see how a vet can get out of control, they need help and somehow the ball was dropped at Ft Hood

shootbrownelk
04-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Sad deal, just dont understand why people do this. Wish they would seek out help before even thinking of doing such a thing.

He WAS being diagnosed is what they said on the tube. Seeing it's the Government, evidently they didn't do it quickly enough.
P.T.S.D. they said, he was a Truck Driver for Crissakes.

Don K
04-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Sad day all the way around..........

Musket Man
04-03-2014, 08:03 PM
He WAS being diagnosed is what they said on the tube. Seeing it's the Government, evidently they didn't do it quickly enough.
P.T.S.D. they said, he was a Truck Driver for Crissakes.

I dont know what he actually did but transportation guys were targeted quite a bit over there. One of the most dangerous jobs really.

CrossCreeks
04-04-2014, 09:27 AM
A man once told me " for some people this world will never be right for them " maybe it applies , I don't know. When someone makes sense of these events let me know. I pray for everyone involved and their families.

HuskyMusky
04-05-2014, 03:36 PM
on a side note, do you guys see all these commercials to donate and help these disabled veterans get help/care they need??

We send these guys to war and then we don't take care of them when they get back??

Musket Man
04-05-2014, 06:19 PM
on a side note, do you guys see all these commercials to donate and help these disabled veterans get help/care they need??

We send these guys to war and then we don't take care of them when they get back??

You may die before the VA gets anything done for you. I have been fighting claims for nearly 6 years now and they are still not resolved. The last guy that evaluated me nearly got his teeth knocked out for turning things I said around and calling me a liar. The VA hospital has done nothing to really help me and made me so mad at 1 point I didnt go back for 2 years. It is actually in my medical records that ''I felt like a cow being run through the auction" by 1 VA doctor. Vet center isnt any better. My councilor abruptly left in January due to terminal cancer and they didnt even call and tell me my appointment was canceled before i drove 65 miles to get there and have not even called to schedule me with someone else like they were supposed to. SO yes there are some serious problems with the VA system and getting vets the help they need.

Colorado Cowboy
04-05-2014, 06:47 PM
The Va is completely a battle....you against them. When I got out in 1965 I had to go to the VA to be "evaluated". They told me I had a service connected disability...rated at 0 disabled. I thought fine, at least I'm on record. 25 years later one of my engineers was a VN vet and he told me to go back at get another assessment. I did and it was 10% so I got some monthly benefit. Later my knee got worse and back I went, 3 different times....no change. I finally got a DAV rep to help me and we actually went to Federal Court and won. VA reassessed me again and upped it to 40% retroactive for 30 years. I actually had to write my local US Congressman to get them off their ass even after we won in court. Finally got a lump sum settlement and a monthly benefit.

The only way you get the VA to settle is after you fight for everything you get. I thank the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) and am now a Life Member. Without them it would never have happened. The VA tries to wear you down so you just get frustrated and go away! Sad deal for sure.

Musket Man
04-05-2014, 06:59 PM
I been using the VFW and sometimes I wonder how much they are actually helping. Alot of the trouble is every time you appeal a decision it takes another 2+ years to get another decision thats wrong. It never ends. If it dont get done right this time Im going to get DAV or someone to go after them.

Colorado Cowboy
04-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Without the DAV Lawyers (who didn't charge me anything) going to Federal Court and winning, I probably would still be fighting the VA.

Musket Man
04-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Did DAV get a % of the settlement? I know some of them do. Not that I would really mind at this point. I was already in it with the VFW when I found out about DAV of I might have looked into them more. Alot of the trouble is you have no idea how to go about these things when you start out or who will actually try to help you. If I knew what I know now when I started this I think would probably would have gone alot differently.

Colorado Cowboy
04-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Did DAV get a % of the settlement? I know some of them do. Not that I would really mind at this point. I was already in it with the VFW when I found out about DAV of I might have looked into them more. Alot of the trouble is you have no idea how to go about these things when you start out or who will actually try to help you. If I knew what I know now when I started this I think would probably would have gone alot differently.

I pretty much had the DAV as my advisor/advocate for about 25 years. They kept telling me that my rating of 10% was way under what it should be. I had a VA Dr. tell me the same thing. Once we went to court and got the remand, after the new physical, the VA offered a settlement at 40%. The DAV rep told me that this was a fair appraisal and that about all I could expect. So I accepted it. I am sure I could not have done this on my own. Pretty sad that they make it so difficult to understand the system, no wonder a lot of deserving vets give up. That's the way the VA wants it....IMHO.

Musket Man
04-06-2014, 12:17 PM
I think thats what the VA wants too and they hope we will just give up eventually. I think 1/2 of their backlog problem is from them not handling cases right the first time too. The whole process is a night mare.

Musket Man
04-06-2014, 08:06 PM
"Lopez' mother, Carmen, an emergency room nurse in their hometown, died of a heart attack in November. A month earlier, Lopez' grandfather had died in Guayanilla."

"Lopez attended the funeral but was disappointed that it took about five days for his 24-hour leave to be approved by the military."

"Before Wednesday's shooting, Lopez stopped at the post's personnel office to pick up a leave form, according to the sister of one of the soldiers injured in the attack. The soldier was told he would have to come back later, Otis said.
"And apparently I guess he didn't want to hear that, so he came back and just opened fire, " Otis said."

Certainly no excuse for what he did but this kinda stuff is pretty standard for the army and their is no reason for it.

Againstthewind
04-06-2014, 08:35 PM
I am really sorry to hear about the problems that seem to be common with the VA and the military system. That is a very sad situation in Ft. Hood, too. I have heard that PTSD, brain injuries, and other mental disorders are pretty common and not dealt with very well in general by civilian or VA medical personnel. I am sure there are good ones, but private sector medical care isn't always up to par either. I wish I had a solution to offer or something. Self medicating seems to be a pervasive problem with psychiatric disorders and problems, too. That can be a bad deal. Then it might take just a little shove to go over the edge. Doctors are very smart people, but their training is in medicine, not administration. There is a suicide prevention push in my state lately, and one area of emphasis is just getting it out there and talking about the problem hoping that people or people close to the problem will come get get help instead of trying to deal with on their own. I don't know if that would help or not in this type of situation.

Colorado Cowboy
04-06-2014, 08:55 PM
When I was in (50 years ago!) no such thing as being diagnosed with PTSD. I think most returning combat vets from VN who had problems spent their time trying to drown away everything with booze.

Musket Man
04-08-2014, 12:18 PM
I have known some VN vets that did exactly that for most or all of their life after they came back. PTSD hasnt really been recognized until recent years.

shootbrownelk
04-08-2014, 04:20 PM
I have known some VN vets that did exactly that for most or all of their life after they came back. PTSD hasnt really been recognized until recent years.

I guess in WW2 they called it being "Shell-Shocked". Whatever the hell that was supposed to mean. These days the shrinks have a name for anything that ails you mentally.

shootbrownelk
04-08-2014, 04:25 PM
I dont know what he actually did but transportation guys were targeted quite a bit over there. One of the most dangerous jobs really.

You're not defending a murderer are you MM? So he had a dangerous job, he killed 3 people and injured a lot more. There's no excuse on earth for what he did. I do agree that the VA takes some blame for this.

Musket Man
04-08-2014, 07:34 PM
You're not defending a murderer are you MM? So he had a dangerous job, he killed 3 people and injured a lot more. There's no excuse on earth for what he did. I do agree that the VA takes some blame for this.

I have not defended this guy in any way and never will. There is no excuse for what he did. That was in response to your post that sounded like you didnt think truck drivers could be in any danger or have PTSD, which is not true.

Colorado Cowboy
04-09-2014, 08:05 AM

I don't believe the VA has any or should take any blame for this. The guy was on active duty and had no connection or dealing with the VA. The VA's role is to assist and help Veterans, not active duty personnel. If ANYONE dropped the ball, it was the active duty people on post at Ft. Hood, and I'm not sure any of them did.

shootbrownelk
04-09-2014, 08:36 AM
I have not defended this guy in any way and never will. There is no excuse for what he did. That was in response to your post that sounded like you didnt think truck drivers could be in any danger or have PTSD, which is not true.

That's not what I meant, truck drivers were targeted that's true. But according to the news media he wasn't.

shootbrownelk
04-09-2014, 08:37 AM
I don't believe the VA has any or should take any blame for this. The guy was on active duty and had no connection or dealing with the VA. The VA's role is to assist and help Veterans, not active duty personnel. If ANYONE dropped the ball, it was the active duty people on post at Ft. Hood, and I'm not sure any of them did.

You're probably right Cowboy, you know more about the VA than I do. I was just repeating what I heard & read in the news.

Musket Man
04-09-2014, 06:40 PM
I cant see how this would have involved the VA in any way since he was on active duty but its probably not much different when your on active. They could have atleast gave him a week off when his mother died. I doubt it would have made any difference in his unit if he was gone 2 days or 2 weeks.

sneakypete
04-09-2014, 07:06 PM
The sad thing is that our government isn't doing enough for our warriors coming home! This guy had issues, and I'm not sticking up for him either. I'm a father of a soldier w ho made it thru Iraq with one Purple Heart and is doing just fine. God bless the ones affected by the terrible loss of life.