PDA

View Full Version : EHJ Photo Spreads

ScottR
04-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Hey all, we have been working on some photo spreads and wanted to share them here for some feedback. What do you guys think? Please be candid, do you like this type of format and story?
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d1jLS8zDnCw/U0XIYtmC1FI/AAAAAAAAAGI/dNfbB7mcldg/w791-h538-no/Cody+Voermans+Spread.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KU0XmPq4dxw/U0XMpgLjsiI/AAAAAAAAAGs/Jlyt92kl4_o/w897-h610-no/Cody+Voermans+Spread2.jpg

Alabama
04-09-2014, 05:10 PM
There is only 1 God. I know you don't mean disrespect but I just don't like it. The pictures look great.

Cobbhunts
04-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Bama....unless your talking Greek God(s). Or any of the countless religions across the planet that each have their own version of a "God"....

But I do agree that I would leave that out of the piece. Everything else about it looks great.

And by the way....I have one God Bama, so I do know where you're coming from.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

packmule
04-09-2014, 05:44 PM
I like the pics that go along with the story and their layout, on the fence about the background.

Musket Man
04-09-2014, 05:52 PM
I dont like it. It makes it harder to read and its to flashy or something and gives me the feeling its a high dollar hunt and the guy is rich and the hunt would be out of reach of most hunters. It kinda reminds me of hunting illustrated.

mnhunter
04-09-2014, 06:13 PM
I would prefer Eastman's not consider stories that aren't DIY. I am OK with stories that are on the family/friends ranch, but I would like to see stories stick to the idea of DIY and not paying big $$$ for access. I would rather read about how hard a guy worked, the hours spent scouting, family trips camping in the area, family out hunting together, back breaking pack outs, etc. I will be honest the first thing I look at on every story I read in Eastman's, is if it is DIY and public land. I could care less how big the animal is if it was on a guided hunt, I have nothing against guided hunts, but it doesn't interest me to read about them.

RUTTIN
04-09-2014, 06:27 PM
I like the look as long as the words are still big enough to read. I like the others love the stories of diy, but some places you hunt require a guide and the animals they harvest deserve as much respect and a place in the magazine too.

6mm Remington
04-09-2014, 06:28 PM
I feel it's just a little too busy. When you have all the colors behind the black print it's sometimes hard to read.

I'd really like you folks to have one story about a kids hunt, or a kid or three hunting with mom, dad, relative, or what have you. No huge animal has to be taken, or even at all, it's about having them out with us and showing the great times we have. Many of those stories are precious beyond description about the things that happen, what they say, and what they do. Plus we are getting them involved in the outdoors, what could be better? This does not have to be written by the kids either, but a parent or friend, or someone else involved in the hunt. The prize or prizes should also go to the kids and not the adult author should that be the case. Anyone under 18 has a chance. Not a bad idea to try and have one article about our better half. That would be great to include one just for them.
David

mntnguide
04-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Leave the pictures to speak for themselves, i don't personally like the look of the text inside the picture.

marcusvdk
04-09-2014, 07:42 PM
I really liked the pictures. The format didn't bug me like it did others but can see what there talking about.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Ikeepitcold
04-09-2014, 07:47 PM
I have to say I don't mind the God part at all. I will say it seems alittle busy with all the background hoopla. It is very creative but I do like more of the pages being filled with story the effects.

Ridgerunner
04-09-2014, 08:34 PM
I think it looks cool but would only have one or two articles like that per issue.

D.Turvey, Jr
04-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the input guys, it's greatly appreciated. We are tinkering around a bit with this type of piece and it will only be in about 75% of the issues as a marquee piece and only one in the line of features in those issues. We felt we needed to take a step without knowing exactly where that step would fall and now we're looking for your input to guide us down the funnel. Look to EBJ 83 for something similar but with some of the things you guys have suggested incorporated into it. Keep it coming guys, we want to give you what you want.

In Cody's piece he took all of those pictures on his hunt, those are not photoshopped other than cutting a few things out. The designer and I were totally blown away when his images arrived in the office and we wanted to try something different. Those northern lights images are amazing! I did some research of the native cultures in that region and that is what native people called the northern lights or how they tried to explain them, thus my titling the piece that. I am a God-fearing man myself but felt it was apropos.

As far as guided vs DIY, most sheep hunts in Alaska (with two caveats, resident family guide or being in the military) are required to be guided by law and everything in Canada is required to be guided, doesn't get more simple than that. So for the guy wanting to hunt Dall's sheep who doesn't live there, he has no choice. And it only serves to follow that such a hunt won't be cheap. I know first hand that Cody saved up for a very long time to be able to go on this hunt. My hats off to him as I know how hard it is to keep the sheep hunt coffers full in the face of other life obligations.

Again, keep the constructive criticism coming. You've had some very helpful ideas thus far.

packmule
04-10-2014, 09:17 AM
It's not that they aren't good pics, they just kind of clash with the other pics. There are some alternative for pics like those that are just too good to not pass up printing.

CrossCreeks
04-10-2014, 11:03 AM
It's different , not bad ,I have no problem with pictures. I think it close to crowding the pages with too much !

jjenness
04-10-2014, 11:11 AM
My only critique would be on the second page where you have the text printed inside of the photos. As we are all taught to read and write from top to bottom and left to right, I find it sometimes confusing when the text is misplaced from its normal place. I have found myself reading other articles in different publications where they did things similar to this, and then halfway through when things didn't quite make sense I realized I was reading in the wrong place. IMO it would help to stagger the pics with text from top to bottom left to right, as I could see myself possibly reading the text in the middle picture first. Just my 2 cents, maybe I need more education. ;)

mnhunter
04-10-2014, 12:36 PM
As far as guided vs DIY, most sheep hunts in Alaska (with two caveats, resident family guide or being in the military) are required to be guided by law and everything in Canada is required to be guided, doesn't get more simple than that. So for the guy wanting to hunt Dall's sheep who doesn't live there, he has no choice. And it only serves to follow that such a hunt won't be cheap. I know first hand that Cody saved up for a very long time to be able to go on this hunt. My hats off to him as I know how hard it is to keep the sheep hunt coffers full in the face of other life obligations.

I completely understand, and I realize that post probably came across more judgemental than I meant it. I have no doubt that at some point in my life I will likely do a guided hunt, and I will probably still enjoy the heck out of it. I think for me it comes down to the reason I read the magazine, and that is to live vicariously through the folks that live out west and get to spend all year living in the country I love so much. My wife and I talk about making the move someday, hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

As for the format, I prefer more of the backstory, and I think with this format some of that gets left out. I want to here all of the detail of the 5-6 blown stalks, the storm that came in and how much it sucked to sit in a tent for 24hrs straight, and all of that other stuff that happens on a great hunt. Pictures do tell a thousand words, but they don't provide much context, and for me to put myself in the shoes of the story teller I need that.

libidilatimmy
04-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I thought overall it was a decent layout. The only thing was with the positioning of the story text making it somewhat cumbersome to read. Some simple suggestions would be to reverse the angle of the cropped black skyline on the first page so the text flows down and to the right making it more of a natural read, and the same sort of idea with the text in the pics along with adding some more contrast to the text vs pic.

D.Turvey, Jr
04-10-2014, 01:11 PM
JJ, mn and lib...all very good points and noted. Thank you. Keep'em coming...

Timberstalker
04-10-2014, 01:25 PM
It looks great, but I personally like less photo shopping. I like to see the background where the animals are taken, for me that's helps tell the story. With all the editing it's hard to know whats real in this layout, for all I know the background in these shots could be from an entire other photographer and/or from a totally differant area in the world. It looks more like an advertisement than an article, looks great, but it doesn't seem very realistic to me.

gonhunting247
04-10-2014, 10:47 PM
I think your traditional lay out is better. It seems like the text takes away from a great picture. Not that bad, just kinda like the other better!

CoHiCntry
04-11-2014, 08:01 PM
It's eye catching for sure! I don't care for the text in the pics as others have mentioned. HF does that all the time and it makes it hard to read sometimes. I don't know how everyone else feels but I've read so many trophy hunting stories that they are getting kind of boring. I personally am getting to where I would rather see more great pics and read shorter stories. Maybe I just get to many magazines?

Kevin Root
04-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Well, I got my issue of the actual magazine in the mail. I come from a place of thinking that it is good to try and create new things to stay innovative or stay on the cutting edge of your industry to keep customers buying and also wanting your service or product. To do otherwise leads over time in competitors passing you by most times and taking over your marketshare.

If this was a hunt I was on, I'd wonder how best in a creative way to use some of the astrophotography photos I took as part of showing and telling the story of my hunt. If I had seen the northern lights while out hunting and captured them on film, I'd have done something creative myself with the backgrounds perhaps. I'd want one at least for a photo for my wall at home, or my personal digital photo album in conjunction with the hunt photos. It was part of the experience and I'll gather there are not many hunters that will turn in astrophotography photos into a magazine from their hunting adventure. I say well done on the layout.

That being said, as others have already written, it is nice to see the kill of the hunt in the natural daytime background as the background too so I see both sides. I think the goal is bringing out the beauty, awesomeness, soul and emotion of the hunting adventure and experience. When that's done well in an article or story with the written words and photos it's a success at least in my book.

packmule
04-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Perhaps Eastman's could consider a publishing for just submitted photos like those: cool shots of live animals, scenics, story pics that the mag doesnt have room to print, etc.. Keep dead animals out so it's marketable to the non-hunting crowd as well. Maybe 1 special issue a yr, hard cover (coffee table edition) and it cost additional $. People would have to waive rights/royalties to photos if they choose to submit them, but a lot of amateurs would just to say they've been published. It may also get ppl to take better cameras to cover hunts that go in the mag. If run as a photo contest and gear give-away with social voting it'll get a lot of exposure from people trying to get votes. Just an idea I'm throwing out there with no clue on what the numbers would have to be for it to work.

D.Turvey, Jr
04-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys. Crazy thing is those are the backgrounds, the only thing we cut out was a very small portion of sky in a few shots as you can see and the one on the first page was a solid rock wall right behind Cody so we cut it away so you could see him better. I like the suggestions you guys have though, very helpful. We want to give you what you want. I have taken your suggestions into consideration and look to EBJ 83 for some of them to be incorporated in another piece. We will get that one up for your comments after we go to print.

Squirrel tail
04-14-2014, 07:26 PM
im not really a fan of the cropping on one of the photos on the second page I like to see the sky as well as the mountains cropping at the skyline takes away from the image to me