PDA

View Full Version : Utah Northeastern Region Deer Tags - 2011

chehaku
05-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Since the Utah DWR Board approved the reduction of 4,000 tags for the Northeastern region in 2011, how many of you that were planning on hunting that area received some bad news that you didn't draw this year? About half of the group that I go with didn't draw.

NoMoreOldNo7
05-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Going to keep an eye on this thread. I think it will be interesting to see how this year and next are going to work out in Utah. I only applied for a point again this year (got four now). With the cut in tags and the real possibility of a harsh winter survival rate I think I may just apply for a point again next year and see what it looks like when the dust settles. Besides it would give me an idea what the draw statistics are for the new units versus the old regions.

I have hunted a few areas in both the Southern and South Eastern regions for the past fifteen years. I'm hoping that these changes will do the state good in regards to their mule deer populations. I know when they finally starting controlling the number of tags issued in each region (back in 2000 or so) it at least helped with a little with the over crowding of hunters. Now I hope these new changes have a positive impact on the quality of the bucks.

I was disappointed when I heard that they cut so many pronghorn tags this year, the number of available tags were almost cut in half (from just under 1,100 in 2010, to around 650 in 2011). I didn't draw this year and figure if the number stays the same it will add ten years to my wait time. Would be worth it if the quality of bucks increases. The herds I have been keeping an eye on for the past five years or so have not had very big bucks, so maybe they should consider something long term just as they are doing with the deer to improve the quality of the herds.

I am all for it as long its about herd improvement and not money. Seems many states are just thinking of money, not the quality of the hunts and herds. Time will tell.

BucDoc
06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
I live in North Eastern Utah, and out of habit always apply for either a rifle or muzzy tag here. Every one in my extended family (8) drew either Rifle, Muzzy or Archery. Hard to find a quality buck anymore, seldom shoot anything. It's mostly an excuss for a good horse ride or two. We enjoy the hunts, but are pretty selective. BucDoc

chehaku
06-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Buc Doc,

Thanks for the reponse and congrats to all that drew tags. How many from your party drew a rifle tag and if you don't mind me asking, what part of the region do you take your horses for a ride?