PDA

View Full Version : Need new raingear (lightweight)

northforkecap
05-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Time to buy new raingear. I have been using a less expensive Columbia version I bought many years ago and it finally gave up the ghost during a late season blacktail hunt. I hunt the Eagle Caps here in Oregon for elk in Sept and generally like my raingear to be lightweight and quiet as possible.
Thoughts and input are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

6mm Remington
05-31-2011, 07:03 AM
I like the lightest weight garment that River's West makes. There are three different thicknesses of jackets they produce and they are very quiet, tough, well made, and have lots of features like removeable hoods, zippers under the armpits, longer tail on the back, etc. Also these are made out in Seattle area so those folks know about rain out there!

SDbowhunter
05-31-2011, 07:05 AM
you looking for camo raingear or a solid color ?

dp1077
06-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Might want to check out the Chugah series from KUIU.Comes in Vias camo or solid colors.

OR Archer
06-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Under Armour Stealth rain gear is awesome stuff. Lightweight and packable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=2457110148

SDbowhunter
06-05-2011, 08:20 AM
When I don't need a camo rain jacket, I use a First Ascent Frontpoint jacket, its so lightweight and packable, you could probably fit it into a coffee mug if you tried hard enough, and I've stayed dry in multipule downpours. It's a three layer hardshell with softshell qualities in the torso so it breathes really well, you can move around and it blocks the wind. And best of all, it doesn't make that crinkle sound when you wear it which is so common on raingear.

northforkecap
06-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm looking for camo gear for bowhunting. Thanks!

northforkecap
06-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the input, everyone.

Green&Gold
06-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Eastmans had a rain jacket review in a couple months back. For my use, I got the Cabelas space rain suit. It's one of the lightest models I could find and its camo. The drawback will probably be its durability - I wouldn't want to go through lots of thick or thorny cover with it. I'm guessing that would be a problem with all the ultralight rain gear, thought.

Rob P
06-21-2011, 02:19 PM
I use a cabalas space rain jacket and gamehide pants. I wouldn't think space rain pants would hold up too long. For the price you can't beat it.

cali_hornhunter
06-21-2011, 02:28 PM
i have the cabelas space rain jacket and pants in seclusion 3d it works great to keep u dry for a few days but eventually you'll get wet but thats if your in a downpour for days straight but other than that its great super quite for bowhunting

worx53
07-18-2011, 07:51 PM
sitka- expensive but simply the best.

coyhuntermn
07-19-2011, 08:11 AM
what about the Russell Outdoors L5 anyone used them? They were in the Eastmans review also and about the same price as the Space rain but appear more durable. Full length zippers on the pants worry me great to get them on and off but appear to be stiff and may make extra noise when walking can anyone comment on that?

KimmesFarms
07-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Just picked up a Russel Outdoors L5 Cyclone today. Gander has them for 50% off. It seems very light and packable.

jriggs
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
+1 for the Sitka...i have the Stormfront Lite jacket and pants. they are $$$$$ but hands down....keep you dry in the craziest of rain storms...all day long!!!!

twp1224
12-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm in the market for lightweight camo as well. Does anyone have actual weight of the raingear they use? I'm looking at Golite and Montbell pants and jackets because they are really light (around 10oz each). Sitka runs around 25oz for the jacket alone. I know Sitka is built for hunting, but i'm looking to stay dry with as little weight and space in my pack. KUIU is lighter 17-22oz, but do they pack down? Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Colorado Cowboy
12-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Probably don't need to tell any of you this, but I will anyway. I bought the lightweight stuff from Cabelas that was mentioned. It is really good and super quiet too. I made sure that I got to my closest Cabelas (Grand Junction) and TRIED them on. Size that is listed on the label doesn't necessarily mean it will fit over your clothes, especially a heavier jacket. Just my take.

Conrad8899
12-19-2011, 08:28 AM
I am happy with my cabelas space rain. I dont think it would hold up to the brush. My brother bought the russell outdoors cyclone jacket and pants. Thay seam to be really nice. I really liked the full length zipper legs.

Bitterroot Bulls
12-19-2011, 09:09 AM
I am happy with my cabelas space rain. I dont think it would hold up to the brush.

I bought some Space Rain stuff a few years ago. I was bowhunting, it started to rain, I put on the pants, and three seconds later a small twig ripped a huge hole in them. They went straight back to Cabelas, who took care of me with a full refund.

Maxhunter
12-24-2011, 06:58 AM
I have the KUIU Chugach and it's well worth the money. The seller for me was the pit zips which makes a difference when hiking. It also compacts pretty small.

ID_MW
12-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Used to have the Cabela's space rain top and bottom, but they ripped easily and didn't breathe well. Have the Stormfront lite from
Sitka now, but wish it had pockets and pit zips; pretty noisy as well. I guess the search for the perfect packable rain jacket continues. Thanks fellow forum members...

High Country
12-28-2011, 02:22 AM
I have the KUIU Chugach and it's well worth the money. The seller for me was the pit zips which makes a difference when hiking. It also compacts pretty small.

I have this jacket as well. Its the 1st jacket I have had that is truly breathable. Was on a hot July bear hunt with lots of rain. I stayed dry and the inside condensation was minimal. Great jacket.

Bitterroot Bulls
12-28-2011, 02:14 PM
I finally abandoned all camo rain jackets. None of them breathed well enough. Gore Tex just doesn't cut it when you are really working.

Finally I just went to backpacking gear and found the REI Kimtah jacket. The eVent fabric breathes. Really! It breathes so well it doesn't need pit zips. It is light (my medium is 14 ounces) and packable. The fabric is soft when broken in, and reasonably quiet, for a backpacking shell. It is also pretty durable stuff.

A hunting clothing company really needs to start using eVent in their rain shell products.

Drhorsepower
12-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Companies like rei, north face, mountain hard wear, etc. just need to come out with camo versions and they would dominate the hunting industry. I love my rei and north face stuff. I just wish it was camo:)

brandenbowhunter
12-29-2011, 07:04 PM
New Under Amour stuff is really good! I have a buddy who is all about light weight..and he digs it...I got to paly with it...like it

brandenbowhunter
12-29-2011, 07:05 PM
The KUIU is awesome too...but more than the UA

Bitterroot Bulls
12-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Polartec has just come out with a new waterproof breathable fabric that is supposed to breath like event, and feel like a softshell. It is called neoshell. Sounds like a great hunting shell fabric. We will have to see what happens.

Here is the info. Some big names are making garments with this stuff. But, oh so pricey.

http://www.neoshell.com/

Midwest to Outwest
12-30-2011, 10:53 PM
I have had the Cabelas Lightweight camo raingear for quite a while(probably 5 years or more.) It has lasted far beyond what I expected it to. It has seen a lot of action: Missouri, Wisconsin, Montana and the Arizona desert. Its probably due for retirement but as of last week still holds out an all day off/on rain. Tougher than it looks.

brandenbowhunter
12-30-2011, 11:33 PM
good to know

squirrelduster
12-31-2011, 05:30 PM
+1 on the Kuiu gear. Very light and pack able. Breathes really well, I usually get wetter from sweating than rain. Pretty tough, no holes yet and I hunt on the north coast of California for hogs. Worked really well on an antelope hunt in Wyoming last year. The only drawback is it isn't as quiet as something like the MT50 gear but then again it doesn't soak up water like a sponge. Shake it out when you get back and it's dry in just a bit instead of the next day. I have not been wet in it yet and that is a first for me.
The use high quality fabrics and the sewing house of Arcteryx. I had the Sitka gear and gave it to my brother. Kuiu is awesome stuff. I now have a bunch of their gear and have liked it all, it actually performed the way it's supposed to.

High Country
01-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Polartec has just come out with a new waterproof breathable fabric that is supposed to breath like event, and feel like a softshell. It is called neoshell. Sounds like a great hunting shell fabric. We will have to see what happens.

Here is the info. Some big names are making garments with this stuff. But, oh so pricey.

http://www.neoshell.com/

The KUIU fabric is good stuff. Check out their website and blog. They did a lot of homework trying what Sitka did to the next level. Plus your putting your dollars toward a hunting company who supports the industry and conservation, unlike the anti hunting stances of the other guys.... Just a thought.. : )

Bitterroot Bulls
01-02-2012, 07:56 AM
The KUIU fabric is good stuff. Check out their website and blog. They did a lot of homework trying what Sitka did to the next level. Plus your putting your dollars toward a hunting company who supports the industry and conservation, unlike the anti hunting stances of the other guys.... Just a thought.. : )

Thanks High Country. I am familiar with Kuiu, and have some of their products. I really think they are going about it the right way. I have high hopes they will look at fabrics like eVent and Neoshell for their products to keep raising the bar for hunting clothing.

jay
01-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I also have the Under Armour Camo raingear. I love it, its been through it all and has held up just like advertised. I like it so much I tend to use it like regular camo and not just raingear.

squirrelduster
01-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Kuiu Chugach rain gear is made with the same membrane as EVent.
It is super breathable and very water proof. Great stuff and tough too.

Bitterroot Bulls
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Kuiu Chugach rain gear is made with the same membrane as EVent.
It is super breathable and very water proof. Great stuff and tough too.

If it is eVent, I am in!

My eVent jacket is truly waterproof and breathable, unlike Goretex, which is only waterproof, in my experience.

Kiwininja
01-10-2012, 05:28 AM
I'm a Kiwi boy and the weather in New Zealand is always unpredictable (Hence the song 'Four seasons in one day' Crowded House) ..And I'm a huge fan of our brand here 'Hunters Element' ...no harm in checking it out at least ..")
[URL="http://www.hunterselement.com/products/barrier-layer/205-xtr-pacstealth-jacket"]

Kiwininja
01-10-2012, 05:36 AM
As you can see I am an amateur at this link stuff ..lol ")
http://www.hunterselement.com/products/barrier-layer/205-xtr-pacstealth-jacket/

tensleep
04-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I need new rain gear and need advise since this stuff is too high price to sit in the closet.
Looking at Cabela's MT 050 Quiet Pack, Kryptek Koldo and Kuiu Chugach. Would like something that is light enough for all around backpacking, mountain hunting mostly on foot but good if tough enough to deal with horseback and brush; quiet enough that I would not have to take it off if I needed to do a quick stalk. One other problem is I am 6'3" and have a 35-36 inseam. Which of these (or other suggestions) would be the best compromise. I do have water repellent shells, probably good enough if warm, just not enough for long, heavy rain when colder.
Thanks

xtreme
04-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Anyone use the Helly Hanson raingear? While planning a trip to Alaska, I was told to bring Helly Hanson or don't come

High Country
04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Helly Hansen Impertech is the stuff most of us Alaskans use when not backpacking. If weight is a consideration quality stuff like the KUIU Chugach and other Goretex / eVent type products is the way to go.

huntabsarokee
04-26-2012, 06:00 AM
I have the Helly Hansen and its great for keeping you dry but it doesn't let much moisture out and its on the heavy side. Its my sit all day in the tree stand rain gear or fishing rain set. I just sold some older MT050. I liked in that you could hunt all the time in it if you wanted but when it got wet the outer fabric stayed wet. If going home each night no big deal but if on a tent type hunt forget it. I am getting some type of event shell next or the KUIU.