PDA

View Full Version : DIY Euro Mount!

ScottR
07-02-2014, 05:12 PM
http://youtu.be/GA4vHgx7de4
If you have ever wanted to make your own Euro mount, here you go. Simple and cheap!

RUTTIN
07-02-2014, 06:15 PM
That's pretty cool thanks for the vid guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25contender
07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Nice tip on the OxiClean. Love my European mounts!

ScottR
07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
No problem, if you have any questions on this I will have DanP chime in.

Just for clarification sake, you will want to remove the horns when working on an Antelope. We didn't have time to let the horns detach and make this week's video. Considering though, that Antelope are one of several species that with antlers that don't leave the skull the broader picture was worth painting.

Umpqua Hunter
07-03-2014, 11:22 AM
That's a good video. How do you guys like to pull the horns on the antelope. The best I've found is to seal it in a garbage bag for a month and then they slide right off. Sure does stink though!

ScottR
07-03-2014, 11:34 AM
That's a good video. How do you guys like to pull the horns on the antelope. The best I've found is to seal it in a garbage bag for a month and then they slide right off. Sure does stink though!

We do about the same thing. Give it a month or two and it will be ready to slide right off and its easy to remove the nasty stuff.

Colorado T
07-03-2014, 12:08 PM

I always boil the horns. Keep checking them and the horns will come right off, no nasty smell and don't have to wait a month. Definitely scrape the bone once the horn is removed, will be easy to do after boiling.

tim
07-03-2014, 04:04 PM
what tips do you have on removing the brain?

libidilatimmy
07-03-2014, 04:40 PM
I always boil the horns. Keep checking them and the horns will come right off, no nasty smell and don't have to wait a month. Definitely scrape the bone once the horn is removed, will be easy to do after boiling.

I'd be careful boiling antelope horns. You can ruin them, as in the sheaths fall apart, if not extremely carefully. I've always let the head, with no skin, rot with bag over horns, as stated previously. The sheaths will pop right off and boil the whole head. It does stink though so you need an iron gut for the process.

ScottR
07-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Screw driver and latex gloves......

If you mash up the brains, boil a little bit then use the screw driver it will get a lot out.

micropterus79
07-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Scott-great video! I do have one question though. At about 2 mins and 33 sec into the video there is a shot of the head in the pot boiling and the rim of the pot is lined with aluminum foil but I don't see it in any other segments.

Is this to protect the horns from the direct heat or protect your pot from the nastiness? At what point do you add the foil or is it even that important?

Thanks again.

Colorado T
07-03-2014, 07:15 PM
I'd be careful boiling antelope horns. You can ruin them, as in the sheaths fall apart, if not extremely carefully. I've always let the head, with no skin, rot with bag over horns, as stated previously. The sheaths will pop right off and boil the whole head. It does stink though so you need an iron gut for the process.

I learned taxidermy from my dad when I was at a young age and have boiled countless heads with no problems. As long as you check them regularly the horns will come off long before they are in danger of falling apart. You don't have the bad smell to deal with and it also takes care of removing meat and the brains. You definitely don't want to put them to boil and walk away and leave them but you should have no problems if you keep checking them.

Colorado T
07-03-2014, 07:20 PM

Once you boil the head I like to use a piece of wire with a hook bent on the end. Twirl it around in the cavity and it will clean it out pretty well.

pbarheart
07-05-2014, 09:31 AM
I do few of these every year for family and friends, If you don't mind annoying your wife, The easy was is to get a dermestid beetle colonie and let them do the work. They do smell and you have to feed them year round but much easier than boiling. Before I put them in with the beetles a coat hanger with a couple of bends in it and chucked into a drill will "mix" the brains enough to shake most of it out.

Umpqua Hunter
07-05-2014, 11:01 AM
The last couple heads I have cleaned with "low temperature maceration". Basically a 5 gallon plastic pail (get from a hardware store) and a fish tank heater (warms water to about 90). Put the fish tank heater in and put head in. Fill until the part you want cleaned is covered with water. Let sit for a few weeks, checking water levels occasionally. Bacteria develops in the water that eats away the flesh. This is SUPER stinky, but it does not deteriorate the bone/skull. The teeth normally fall out and need epoxied back in. Sometimes some of the nose bones need epoxied back in place too. Final result is a perfect skull though without bone deterioration.

Umpqua Hunter
07-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Once you boil the head I like to use a piece of wire with a hook bent on the end. Twirl it around in the cavity and it will clean it out pretty well.

That's the way to do it. I use a coat hanger. I also sometimes make a sharply bent loop then form it into kind of a scoop like paddle.

Someone needs to invent the "Brainerator" or "Brain-Be-Gone". Dang, you'd probably sell a dozen or two a year.

tim
07-07-2014, 12:39 PM
thanks for the replies on the brain, I have used a piece of wire and a drill, the video just made it sound way easier to remove brains than I have came across.
I like the oxiclean tip.

MSUcat61
07-07-2014, 05:14 PM
I've removed the brain with a garden hose and nozzle. Just spray the water into the hole in the back and the brain comes shooting out.

AT Hiker
07-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Sweet video and thanks for not recommending bleach as a whitening agent!

For the brain, after the low temp boil take a screw driver or coat hanger to pull as much as you can out (mash the crap out of it if you have too). It will take a few heads to figure out how long to macerate before the brain tissue releases from the skull. Borax helps absorb the leftover tissue, plus it acts as a preservative as well.

Kemsal 4 will help with degreasing and also help with the antelope skull odor, its almost impossible to rid the goat smell though.

Only thing I would add to the already sweet video is to spray a clear coat matte finish on the skull, this will aid a bit in keeping the white color longer not to mention a few other minor things like odor and grease spotting.

jjenness
10-01-2014, 12:52 PM
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/jenness_us1/P1060024_zps7fe84081.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/jenness_us1/media/P1060024_zps7fe84081.jpg.html)

So after spending to much money every year on mounts I decided to tackle my own European mounts this year, thanks a lot to this post. So I have done an initial boil, power washed most of it off, and am back doing a second boil to finish off the job. One question I have for all you seasoned DIY taxidermists, is how do you get the brain lining out? The pressure washer blasted all the brain material out like a champ, but now I see there is still the brain lining in there. Will this stink over time? Also, do I need to let the bone dry out before I apply the 40% peroxide paste? Thanks guys. Happy hunting, and boiling!!

Hilltop
10-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Hope you garage is ventilated.... Don't need you hurting yourself doing home taxidermy! In my experience the lining that remains will dry and be odor free. I don't use peroxide so can't help you there. I use truck wash detergents to turn the skull perfectly white.

Colorado T
10-01-2014, 01:36 PM
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/jenness_us1/P1060024_zps7fe84081.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/jenness_us1/media/P1060024_zps7fe84081.jpg.html)

So after spending to much money every year on mounts I decided to tackle my own European mounts this year, thanks a lot to this post. So I have done an initial boil, power washed most of it off, and am back doing a second boil to finish off the job. One question I have for all you seasoned DIY taxidermists, is how do you get the brain lining out? The pressure washer blasted all the brain material out like a champ, but now I see there is still the brain lining in there. Will this stink over time? Also, do I need to let the bone dry out before I apply the 40% peroxide paste? Thanks guys. Happy hunting, and boiling!!

I always use a piece of wire with a hook and the lining will usually separate/peel away from the cavity pretty well. Pour some Borax inside the cavity and let it sit then blow it out, will help with any future bug problems. I like to let the skull dry out before applying the paste. Set out in the sun while paste is on the skull.

jjenness
10-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Hope you garage is ventilated.... Don't need you hurting yourself doing home taxidermy! In my experience the lining that remains will dry and be odor free. I don't use peroxide so can't help you there. I use truck wash detergents to turn the skull perfectly white.

Yeah I got all the windows open, just to much wind with the garage door open. Thanks for the quick reply guys. Appreciate it.

Hilltop
10-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Yeah I got all the windows open, just to much wind with the garage door open. Thanks for the quick reply guys. Appreciate it.

Just giving you a hard time... I grill in my garage and breezeway all the time because the wind coming out of Wyoming doesn't slow down till it reaches Iowa!

Please post a picture of you finished mount... Thanks.

25contender
10-02-2014, 11:27 AM
JJ that is going to make a great European mount!!

bigsky2
10-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Sometimes you can use a needlenose pliers to get the brain lining out, especially on an elk.

Retterath
10-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Great video. Thanks for sharing I'm going to have to try that this year.

jjenness
10-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Ok so it's is almost done bleaching so now it's time to decide whether to build a wall plaque or to build a floor pedestal. Any ideas or suggestions? I am leaning towards a floor pedestal so that I can move it around the house, and also I don't have vaulted ceilings so I don't know if it would look right being fairly low on the wall.

A few reflections about this DIY project. 1st I would haul water out of the house already hot, in a bucket, to start your boil. This will save quite a bit of propane and time. 2nd take the time to clean as much if the skull off prior to boiling. I was lazy here and punched myself in the face for not doing this, figuratively not literally I don't have anger issues. :o 3rd absolutely do not allow the water from the pressure washer, if you use one which I would suggest, to touch the horns. The high pressure H2O blasts the horn white almost immediately, so now I will have a little bit of touch up to do on the bases. 4th use a pressure washer. I have talked to two friends who didn't use one and it sounds like I spent a lot less time, like several hours, cleaning a majority of the skull. 5th use eye protection when pressure washing, enough said not going to elaborate. Lastly, if you have a couple days to spend working on your own mount take time to do this project. I have taken my fair share of big game, but I will truly have a special appreciation for this mount after spending the time to do it. Also even with buying a pressure washer and all the materials, I will have less money into this mount than it would have cost taking it to a taxidermist, and I now have what I need to keep on doing them.

25contender
10-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Hey JJ my wife says I have a addiction!! A few archery bucks over the years!
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/offshore3144/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0904_zpswajbrvd0.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/offshore3144/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0904_zpswajbrvd0.jpg.html)

alaska2go
10-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Wyatt's moose euro mount .. Moose are more challenging than most american big game do to the antlers coming out of the horizontal compared to the top. So i cut the barrel with a 4" grinder to accommodate the antlers to get the majority of the skull in the water.
Notice in the back ground I have another barrel over a fire to preheat the water. I simmer off the majority of the flesh off then a put it in a smaller barrel with some 6 mil plastic to steam the areas I can't boil off. I secure the plastic with some clothes pins and to miniumize steam loss. I also use Borax and some Dawn dish soap to help degrease the skull.

I then pressure wash it. I wear full rain gear and safety glasses while doing this. I let it sit for a couple of days to dry out then prep it for the whitening. The whitening technique i use is simular to the video but i add hair bleach also. I mix it to a thicker paste and carefully brush it on. I let it sit for 24 hrs and gently rinse it off. Voila here it is ..

marcusvdk
10-05-2014, 06:23 PM
Nice room there 25 and nice job on that moose Euro

jjenness
10-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Very cool guys. 25 what are you using for your whitening? Also do you use any sort of gluing agent? A friend of mine mentioned trying to use some sort of lacquer but I am not sure.

25contender
10-05-2014, 08:02 PM
None of them have any whitening agent. If you don't over boil them and pressure wash them good after a year or so they whiten by themselves. Mark
Very cool guys. 25 what are you using for your whitening? Also do you use any sort of gluing agent? A friend of mine mentioned trying to use some sort of lacquer but I am not sure.

Gr8bawana
10-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Why not just suck them out with a straw?
:confused:

25contender
10-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Here is the Elk we got during bow season this year. Danny did a good job.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/offshore3144/temporary_zps29432f01.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/offshore3144/media/temporary_zps29432f01.jpg.html)

Sully
10-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the video. What an easy way to save money.

Orion/CO
10-21-2014, 09:57 PM
I shot this guy on Saturday morning and boiled it today.... and this is how it came out without having to do the peroxide step! I boiled the skull with Borax, Oxiclean, and Dawn (I used a big washtub so it took a long time to bring it to a boil, and then did a low boil for about an hour). I still need to do some touch-up scraping and I might do the peroxide just to even out the whiteness over the whole skull, but I was shocked when it came straight out of the boil as white as it did.

alaska2go
10-22-2014, 10:47 PM
borax is miracle stuff man ..