PDA

View Full Version : Advice on frame pack

ssliger
06-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I was wondering what kind of frame packs you guys use for hauling meat? I have a pack that i use to hunt out of and take the first load to the truck. But i want to buy a frame pack just for hauling meat. I noticed there are a lot packs out there, which ones do you guys prefer?

RUTTIN
06-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Badlands OX!

coyhuntermn
07-19-2011, 08:38 AM
The cabela's alaskan frame pack is really hard to beat good price and excellent padding and ventilation. I packed out a 900lb 6x7 and the hind quarters had to be close to 150. I may be off a bit but it was way way more than any other elk I had ever packed but even under that much load it was still not bad my old pack would have been cutting my shoulders bad with much less than that.

wolftalonID
07-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Try looking at the Kelty Cache Freighter Frame pack. $99.99
It was designed to haul and haul heavy. The thing that I really was drawn to on this pack was the meat shelf had metal folding supports and not webbing straps. A very solid design. It also has a full blaze orange rain cover stored in a pocket right under the meat shelf. REALLY nice to have a nice blaze orange cover over a pack when your packing horns out....it makes it normally a safer hike out and less likely to get shot at due to your nice trophy set of antlers on your back.(less likely as in some states its still a crap shoot till your safely home!! lol ).

The waist belt is massively padded and transfers the weight so well. The shoulder straps are thick and it has great load lifters built into the back harness. Of coarse it also has a mess back panel that is adjustable to allow a near perfect fit for just about anyone.
The best part is the kids love to be the training weights on spring and early summer hikes.

Morrison4375
07-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Hornhunter Hybrid Curl Frame Sweet Pack

MT backcountry hunter
07-21-2011, 06:41 PM
If you want the ultimate frame pack take a serious look at Barneys from Alaska. Your gonna pay a hefty price for one but that is the by far the best pack frame out there.

fatrooster
07-24-2011, 09:09 PM
MT backcountry hunter, I was curious about the Barneys backpacks that you mentioned above but I could not find them on the internet. Do you have a website?
I recently looked at a couple of backpacks at Sportsmans Warehouse in Twinn Falls, Idaho and tried a few on. I'm not really interested in getting a Badlands Ox but it was very comfortable. One tag said that it weighed in at 9 lbs and another tag said a little over 6 lbs. If I was in the market I would check it out. fatrooster.

MT backcountry hunter
07-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Here is a link to their website, http://www.barneyssports.com/ The couple of buddies that own them gave them a call just to get a frame as that is not listed on their site. I would spend the extra money and get a pack frame that you can adjusted to your torso size, its gonna make that pack ride a lot more comfortable for you.

pjcdad
07-26-2011, 09:49 PM
I have a Barney's frame and believe it is the best out there. I have had 2 different cabelas frames, Dana Design Shortbed and several internal frame packs. I don't know the technology behind it all but do know which one carries heavy loads the best.

Jon Boy
07-31-2011, 08:08 PM
I just bought the alaskan pack frame by cabelas. Its incredibly light and incredibly cheap. Im sure its not the comfiest pack but it will pack out more weight than I can carry.

henkesean
09-26-2011, 05:01 PM
I would also go with the Kelty Cache. It worked excellent carrying a super heavy load that i couldnt even pick up on my own very comfortably.

Dooger
09-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Bull Pac.....

Hillbilly
11-25-2011, 04:36 PM
I also use a Barneys pack( feighter frame and Kevlar bag). Ive used it to haul moose and caribou and can say it is by far the best for hauling heavy loads. You would be hard pressed to find a guide in Alaska not using one. Its not cheap but is built to last a lifetime.

Ikeepitcold
11-25-2011, 07:09 PM
I've used the Alaskan Frame for years. Very adjustable and not heavy at all empty.

elkmtngear
11-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I like the Cabela's Alaskan Frame, because it is easy to strap my Badlands Superday (http://elkmtngear.com/blog/badlands-superday.html) and other gear to it, I can haul in a spike camp good
for 5 days, and keep it under 45 pounds. Great frame for meat hauling, I've had mine for years.

Best of Luck,
Jeff

sethkuhl
11-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Eberlestock just one- Packs everything you need for a hunt, have fit whole deer in it and also an elk quarter and cape. Don't have to go back for pack just unzip it and start loading. A buddy got me onto mine and will never leave for a hunt or a hike without it now!

Montana
12-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Cabela's Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame.... By far. Extremely light weight (for the quality), and you can put heavy loads on it. One thing to be aware of though, it is a little noisy on light loads. i use it as my day pack, just in case. That is one complaint. But when something is on the ground I am so thankful to have it. The last buck I shot I didn't have it, I used another high end pack with hot reviews but it was not an external frame and never again will I do that.

Montana
12-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I should note... There is one pack that does have my attention. the Mystery Ranch Nicely pack. Anyone have or know someone that does have that? But again, non external pack... soooo....

dcestnik
12-04-2011, 09:23 PM
The cabelas frames are very sturdy, light and will haul more than you can. Perfect for base camp pack but too awkward and noisy to hunt with. Horn Hunter's Full Curl system is a really good compromise.

vince
05-24-2014, 12:09 PM
I'll be using a Kuiu this season.
They are on sale right now and at the sale price aren't much more than the Cabela's frame pack.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

woodtick
05-24-2014, 10:33 PM
I'll be using a Kuiu this season.
They are on sale right now and at the sale price aren't much more than the Cabela's frame pack.

That's a great pack Vince, my buddy runs one it took me forever to convince him to make the price jump from a Badlands. He loves his and I think any body that tries them will love theirs also.

vince
05-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty excited.
Been a long time since I had a new high quality pack.

NVBird'n'Big
05-30-2014, 03:20 PM
I guess it was a while back that this thread started but nobody has mentioned the new Eberlestock F1 Mainframe. Looks like a pretty sweet option for those looking for a frame pack. Good write up in the last EBJ. I have my heart set on an internal frame pack like most if us here talk about but this new one interests me.