PDA

View Full Version : Electrochemical Gun Cleaning

307Wapiti
06-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Does anyone have any experience good or bad with the electrochemical gun cleaning kits out there like the Outers Foul Out kits or the like? I've got an old Remington 788 in 22-250 that I got from my old man. It used to remove rabbit heads past 100 yards but now I can't get satisfactory groups with it. I've gone several rounds of cleaning it and I get a ton of copper fouling out each time but the groups have yet to improve. I'm thinking about purchasing one of these kits to get the bore "clean" but at over $100 I'd like to know if they're for real or not.

wolftalonID
06-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Two cheaper methods would be.
1) Foaming bore cleaner
2) Gunsmith with the electro gizmo.

bCHunter666
01-18-2015, 11:43 AM
I have one and they work really well but you have to get the barrell prepped by leaning and making sure there is no grease or oils in it. Then just follow directions and the rod will come out brown with all the copper attached to it. Having said that, you can go to a hardware store and get some 10% ammonia and accomplish the same thing. Might not be as sexy, but works. Just don't let it sit in the barrel but 5 min, and clean it with normal hoppes after followed by one oiled patch and two more to dry.

Does anyone have any experience good or bad with the electrochemical gun cleaning kits out there like the Outers Foul Out kits or the like? I've got an old Remington 788 in 22-250 that I got from my old man. It used to remove rabbit heads past 100 yards but now I can't get satisfactory groups with it. I've gone several rounds of cleaning it and I get a ton of copper fouling out each time but the groups have yet to improve. I'm thinking about purchasing one of these kits to get the bore "clean" but at over $100 I'd like to know if they're for real or not.

Tim McCoy
01-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Before I bought any new cleaning tools, I'd give an ammonia based solvent a try, if you have not already tried one, just be careful as others have stated. For copper, I switched to KG-12, it does not have the ammonia barrel damage draw back. There are some copper tests where it was rated very well. So far it works. A gunny with a bore scope is another idea. You could have a wore out barrel.

In God We Trust
01-18-2015, 12:49 PM
I just bought he KG rifle/pistol pack from their website. It was 31.00 and the shipping was13.00. I thought shipping was a little steep but every where I have looked on reviews people swear by their stuff. Does anyone know if their lube is good enough for AR's as well?

woodtick
01-18-2015, 01:40 PM
I can agree with these guys in the KG12, I've also used Montana Extreme 50BMG solution it's a heavy ammonia product so some care should be exercised but it won't do any damage as long as it doesn't sit in the barrel for extended amounts of time. It's about all I use to get the fouling out of my 338 lapua that those 300gr matchkings leave behind.

laxwyo
01-18-2015, 02:36 PM
What do you guys think of frog lube?

Tim McCoy
01-18-2015, 02:45 PM
What do you guys think of frog lube?

Sorry, don't use it, so no opinion. Most of mine are bolt guns, so lube is not hyper critical vs an AR style DI platform that likes to run wet. My semi's are an AK, I don't think it cares much about lube and an old mini-14 that just runs similar to the AK. Just have them for the kids to go thru ammo. I do use zero friction oil because it comes in a nice squeeze bottle with a thin metal probe style tip which makes using small amounts easy. When it runs out, I'll refill it with whatever I have or can find.

missjordan
01-18-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm not too sure what brand we use but it's a style of foam cleaner that works extremely well. The foam sinks into every nook and cranny and sucks out all the grime

libidilatimmy
01-18-2015, 08:25 PM
I can agree with these guys in the KG12, I've also used Montana Extreme 50BMG solution it's a heavy ammonia product so some care should be exercised but it won't do any damage as long as it doesn't sit in the barrel for extended amounts of time. It's about all I use to get the fouling out of my 338 lapua that those 300gr matchkings leave behind.
I've used the 50BMG solvent quite a bit and it works well. I recently started using the Sharp Shoot R products and have been impressed. It's a foaming cleaner and pulls everything out of the bore. I tried it on a rifle that I had cleaned with my old process and pulled a BUNCH more copper out of it

Colorado Cowboy
01-24-2015, 06:50 AM
I've used the 50BMG solvent quite a bit and it works well. I recently started using the Sharp Shoot R products and have been impressed. It's a foaming cleaner and pulls everything out of the bore. I tried it on a rifle that I had cleaned with my old process and pulled a BUNCH more copper out of it

My experience too.

WYcoyote
02-09-2015, 06:44 PM
I have the Outer's Foul Out unit and it works very well on heavily fouled neglected old rifles. Cleaning them the conventional way may do more harm than good. Saves on elbow grease.
Is it worth it? Yeah, I'm glad I have one.