PDA

View Full Version : Wolves ?? Anyone have any success with those tags ??

Skybuster1329
06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Just was wondering if anyone has had any luck filling those Wolf Tags ........

SDbowhunter
06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
plan on getting an otc MT wolf permit

Bitterroot Bulls
06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
On the first try, Montana Hunters filled the quota in no time. Hopefully it will be similar this year, only the quota is much larger.

SDbowhunter
06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
yes hopefully the quota will get filled

T43
06-28-2011, 08:53 AM
I plan on having a tag in my pocket all season. If an opportunity presents itself I'll fill it. Otherwise I figure I'll make sure there is meat in the freezer before I go out looking for one. In a perfect world I would fill my elk, deer, antelope, bear, lion and wolf tags but I'm not counting on it.

wolftalonID
06-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Nothing in Season here yet..still waiting on the final plan for our hunt this year.

I was up north of here talking to a guy this weekend. He mentioned he saw over 17 wolves where he lives three winters ago....last winter however he didnt see even one!!!! Sounds like they are already becoming more rare!! :)

Elkoholic307
07-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I wish that were true but I highly doubt it.

WYrider
07-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Wasn't Montana already triing to shoot wolfs from a helicopter. I thought i read something in the newspaper a while back about it. Although it was costing to much money and they wernt shooting as many as they thought.

wolftalonID
07-10-2011, 09:21 AM
I believe that was Idahos Fish and Game up north near the Montana Boarder. Idaho Fish and Game did finally do a press release on their proposal for the 2011 wolf hunt.

ready for this? ok sit on down because if your not, the jumping up and down will be awkward....

NO QUOTA!!!!! I believe it will still be one tag, possibly a second but thats not set yet per hunter. No unit quotas...no limit on kills, as the director said they didnt think a quota or no quota was going to put a big dent this season in the population!!!! WOW!!!!

Thats how you tell Defenders of Wildlife thanks for 2010...now go suck rocks!!! hahaha

Jon Boy
07-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Wow I cant believe theres no quota. The wolves are about to get the snot kicked out of them!

trkytrack2
09-15-2011, 10:42 PM
There's always been a saying in the USMC........Kill'em all.....let God sort 'em out!

thump&dump
09-16-2011, 09:19 AM
I know this post has been on here a little while, but now the hunts here in ID have began. I read an article in the post register here in IF that said a guy pounded 2 within a couple of minutes. He called in a pack, missed the first shot and thumped the next wolves and he said the others hung around and if he had mare tags he could have gotten the whole lot of them. so thats pretty sweet. I know on the fish and game website it shows a few have bit the dirt I hope the death toll will continue to rise on these critters!

Bitterroot Bulls
09-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Some bowhunters in MT have already connected. I know I am ready.

wolftalonID
09-16-2011, 09:05 PM
I head out tomorrow for a week with two other eastman forum members....elk hunting here in Idaho.
We will be hauling rifles for those lowly wolves. I believe we all will have tags for those critters.
I am so almost tempted though to try to take one up close and personal with my bow though!

Pics will be posted of coarse!! Wish us luck guys!

MT backcountry hunter
09-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I had a friend miss a wolf with his recurve here in MT this year. Came into a water hole he was sitting over for elk and sent it right over his back. He was so disappointed, you woulda thought he missed a 400" bull!

sjsmallfield
09-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Good luck to all! Can't wait to see those pics!!!

sigpros
09-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Looking forward to the pics guy's. I will buy a tag if I can everytime I go out west. These things have reaked havoc on the game animals.

Ikeepitcold
09-21-2011, 04:25 PM
That would be awesome! Go Idaho! I think it would be nice for a change that Idaho gives a ton of tags for the wolf and maybe back off of the over the counter deer and elk tags. The areas I've hunted for years have been horrible for the past few.

bullelk
09-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Two guys I know filled a tag in Idaho last weekend. Both were black ones, one a 100 pound female.

Joe Hulburt
09-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Here is some incentive. Sad story.......

http://wallowavalleyonline.com/wvo/?p=9187

BSeals71
11-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Any more wolf kills!?

Ikeepitcold
11-25-2011, 08:31 AM
No Quota! Wow Go Id! Maybe I will hunt there sooner then I thought.

iD hunter
11-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Does anyone have any info on good wolf hunting spots near Boise ID? It seems like I always see them near town here when the season is not open. I figure that giving up wolf hunting spots is not like giving up your favorite elk or deer spots because they are pests, not prized trophies. Any advice people can give me would be great.

Joe Hulburt
11-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Here is some incentive. Sad story.......

http://wallowavalleyonline.com/wvo/?p=9187

I got one! It may well have been one of the wolves that ate these hounds. I will post the story and pics soon.

Bitterroot Bulls
11-26-2011, 10:15 PM
That's the way Joe!

Looking forward to the tale ...

Colorado Cowboy
11-27-2011, 03:35 PM
I sure hope all you people kill a bunch of them....that way we won't have to put up with them here in Colorado. I guess thats just wishful thinking, as I believe it is only a matter of time before they are here too!

Pronghorn73
11-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Good job Joe!!!

Ikeepitcold
11-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Very sad to read about the hounds. I think these stories are going to become very common. What is going to happen when they start doing this to our kids while camping.

Joe Hulburt
11-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Very sad to read about the hounds. I think these stories are going to become very common. What is going to happen when they start doing this to our kids while camping.

My sentiments exactly! When I read that story a while back I replied I would make a trip and do what I could to help with the situation. Little did I know that in less than 3 hours hunting I would get the chance. Here she is!
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn144/joe222_2008/IMG_0192copy.jpg
I can't post the best photos or go into much detail as my son in a journalism major in his senior year and he is going to try and get an article published about the hunt. I can say that we caught the wolf doing what wolves do and what they had would result in a taxidermy bill for a lot of us...

sjsmallfield
11-28-2011, 11:13 AM
You the man Joe!!! Love the photo.

In God We Trust
11-28-2011, 11:57 AM
That is awesome!

Reflex
12-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Wow, those things are big! Congrats and let's drop a few more of those critters!

wolftalonID
12-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Well my 2011 Tag is coming to a close on the dang things. Good thing the season lasts till March!!! But that said I have to buy another tag to keep it real.
For those interested in taking out a wolf or two, the jct of warmlake highway and SouthFork road has had tracks like crazy going through there. I have twice now spent time there and found so many tracks. Just not yet able to put eyes on whats makeing the tracks.
Yesterday I got to see a rare but cool treat! Some HUGE tracks from a nice tom. Made the wolf tracks look like puppy prints. Maybe that ol boy will do us a favor or two this year!! lol.

IdahoHombre
12-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Well my 2011 Tag is coming to a close on the dang things. Good thing the season lasts till March!!! But that said I have to buy another tag to keep it real.
For those interested in taking out a wolf or two, the jct of warmlake highway and SouthFork road has had tracks like crazy going through there. I have twice now spent time there and found so many tracks. Just not yet able to put eyes on whats makeing the tracks.
Yesterday I got to see a rare but cool treat! Some HUGE tracks from a nice tom. Made the wolf tracks look like puppy prints. Maybe that ol boy will do us a favor or two this year!! lol.

Did you try calling at all? I put off buying my wolf tag, knowing I would have time to hunt them after the New Year. Good luck up there ~

wolftalonID
12-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah. This trip up I was calf calling in one area and doing some distress puppy yelps too. Also I had my lil dog with me as visual bait while I sat back still and let her run about playing with sticks and stuff. She is extremely voice command-able in the woods and has been a great hiking buddy on many outings. Understanding that these animals are constantly roaming, its not easy to place their location sometimes. Guess the next step will be getting some trail cams set up!!