PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry, College style

WyoBowhunter
07-09-2011, 12:41 AM
I am on a "College" budget and am planning on going on a high country mulie trip in the mountains of Wyoming and am looking at getting some inexpensive gear. I don't know if its possible to get what I need to attempt a backcountry hunt this year with my budget but I am looking for some honest opinions. I have a stove, GPS, sleeping bag/pad. I would need a tent/bivy, pack, and any other recommended gear. My budget couldn't be more than $500, and I would like to stay much under that. Used equipment or new. Any advice, or help would be much appreciated. Thanks and happy scouting/hunting!

Jerry
07-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Check craigs List. Believe it or not I've scored some good equipment off there for very reasonable prices. Like always it is buyer beware, but deals can be made!

jenbickel
07-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Craigslist in Wyoming isnt nearly as good as it is in other states.. You can find some stuff on there but not much around here.. I would be watching garage sales and stuff like that. Here in Sheridan there are always garage sales with hunting stuff. Maybe Ebay also?

Bitterroot Bulls
07-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Buy a GoreTex USMC bivy (I got one off Ebay for $60 shipped), and although they aren't the most comfortable shelters, they are light, durable, and effective. Find a used pack. Maybe somebody off this site is upgrading and could swing you a deal. Check steepandcheap.com for deals as well. Sierra Trading Post has some deeply discounted gear as well. That $500 won't last long if you need clothes as well, but you wold be surprised what you can find at secondhand stores.

wolftalonID
07-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Pack tents are not hard to come by cheap. Just make sure they have a good rainfly,(some double as a vestibule). And look for bathtub tarp bottoms. I used to have an ozark trail one I paid new for $80.00 and was a two man tent. Used it for 10 years and when I sold it, it was still in great shape.
I saw a tent at cabelas the other day very similar and under 5 lbs for 139.00 (cabelas brand)

I noticed you mentioned a hunt, but did not mention if you have a weapon? It helps to have one when hunting. lol :)
Is your $500 going to be used to buy one?

Boots are a needed Item, and a water container. You can buy water bladders(like camel back bladders) alone without the pack, and put the bladder in any pack you own.
Optics? Weather proof binos of some sort are best, however I made due for a while with a cheap pair of Barskas I got at Big5. They held water enough to support goldfish as pets, but if dry out worked well enough. I paid $15.00

Just some ideas that might help.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-09-2011, 01:59 PM
On optics:

Here are a few bargains if you are just getting started:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-8x30-Green-Ring-Yosemite-Binocular-P12767.aspx

http://swfa.com/Burris-12-24x50-Landmark-Compact-Spotter-P50702.aspx

Both of these optics typically outperform their prices.

pcc2b
07-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I have a eureka spitfire one man tent that works great. It costs about $100 new, but I have seen deals on them down to $60. It is light (3lbs or so), enough interior space to sit up and change clothes, and takes rain like a champ.

Being on a budget just means that you will have to really hunt for deals and do your research on equipment, which can be fun and challenging. Also, later down the road you get to upgrade your equipment based on your experience which is also fun. happy hunting.

SDbowhunter
07-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Try looking at camofire.com and in Cabelas' bargin caves

WyoBowhunter
07-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will look at those. Ha I do have a weapon. I am going to be using my Hoyt Vectrix. I got a camel back but I really need a pack that could pack out some meat. Any ideas?

WyoBowhunter
07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks everybody! You all have given me some great ideas! What about packs that are in my budget, anyone have any ideas?

Bitterroot Bulls
07-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks everybody! You all have given me some great ideas! What about packs that are in my budget, anyone have any ideas?

Check into a secondhand sporting goods store, or craigslist, ebay etc. You can get great deals on an older pack with some dirt on it. I would look for a 5000-6000 cubic inch pack from any reputable backpack manufacturer. Do your best to try before you buy. Occasionally steepandcheap.com will have packs from ALPS mountain gear, but you have to get lucky. ALPS makes inexpensive, but still high-quality gear.

pcc2b
07-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Of course it depends on how long you are going to stay out in the backcountry as to what size pack you need but I bought a cabelas ultralight hunter 5000 (i think that is what it was called) in outfitter camo a few years back when it went on sale for less than $200 . If you dont care about the pack being camo, you can get a good deal on just about any internal frame. You can check out backcountry.com, mountaingear.com and steepandcheap.com for some really good deals also.

07-31-2011, 10:47 PM
I would go to an army surplus and snoop around. There is great stuff to be had that is durable, functional, and budget. Craigslist in Denver is loaded with cheap packs,tents, and other camping stuff. If you are on the southern end of WY it would be worth a day trip if you could get the logistics worked out. JAX here in Fort collins, about an hour from Laramie, has an excellent supply of Army surplus and will ship it to you.