PDA

View Full Version : Socks

bigsky2
07-13-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm looking for some good early season socks to prevent blisters. I need something that will also keep my feet relatively cool. Any suggestions?

miller1
07-13-2011, 10:53 AM
any kind of marino wool.

jenbickel
07-13-2011, 11:19 AM
I love love love Smart Wool hiking socks and Lorpen hiking socks. I have never gotten a blister with either of these and they both have the like wicking material stuff and keep your feel super cool. I'm not big on like bulky socks and these seem just about perfect. They have good padding but they arent real thick or hot but they do keep your feet warm but not too warm.. If that makes sense. :)

307Wapiti
07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I've got a pair of Gore-tex Danner boots that I love and are quite comfortable. But at the end of the day I would always have blisters on my heels. Yes, I do understand that "blisters" and "comfortable" are not readily used together, however, I do still like my boots. I just buy some moleskin and put it on my heels and I don't have any more blisters. I'm sure there are folks that have better ideas, but this works for me.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-13-2011, 01:31 PM
smartwool socks are great. Socks can definitely help prevent blisters, but it is the friction that causes them. Changing how you lace your boots can help prevent heel slip and toe bang. Ask a wildland firefighter about how to lace your boots if you continue to have problems.

T43
07-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I like the WigWam comfort sportsman socks. Not to hot not to cold and comfy.

wolftalonID
07-14-2011, 08:49 AM
I used to fight fires!! lol
Proper boot fit does more for eliminating blisters than any sock will. It needs to be snug on the center of the foot, tight at the angle of the foot(where the foot and heel make a 45* angle. Snug to however you need for comfort up the shin. Too loose on the center of the foot will cause heel slip, and toe blisters. Too loose on the ankle will cause heel slip and twisted ankles from a boot that twists on the foot. Too tight up the shin will cut off circulation and too loose will not support the ankle and heel connection.

Any sock you wear needs to start off snug to the foot. Fluffy loose socks cause unpleasant discomfort all day and if the boot is tight on a loose sock...you wont have a good day.

SDbowhunter
07-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I agree with wolftalonID but a good wool sock is hard to beat, Smartwool Phd for early season and smartwool trekers or hikers for mid to late season. but I wear them year around, me feet don't stink or sweat