PDA

View Full Version : Badlands

amp713
02-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Ok so i have been thinking alot about my next pack and was leaning towards the ox frame with a sacrafice strapped to it. anyone here done this? or have any experience with the sacrafice or ox (pack and frame)? just wanted to get some good western ideas on it!

HuntinMontucky
02-24-2011, 10:21 PM
I dont have any experience with that setup, however between 2 of my hunting partners they have 3 Badlands packs, not sure of which ones but all 3 are extremely noisy, you can hear them coming due to the squeeking of there pack with every step! They love the pack but are changing this year due to the noise. I use a Sitka 32, awesome pack, comfy, quiet, heavy duty!

killz
02-24-2011, 10:50 PM
i agree with the noise. i have the sacrafice. i like the setup pockets, weight, room, etc. but im sure you can find one similar with less noise.

rezavoirdog
03-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Badlands 2200 is the best pack that Badlands has ever made.

RUTTIN
03-06-2011, 04:43 PM
+1 on the 2200, pack is comfortable, quiet and can haul a nice load.

03-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I like the OX frame a lot but I wish they made a meat hauling frame attachment for it. I've seen some that other companies make and they are nice but Badlands has that sweet warranty. Most of their stuff is nice, some over designed in my mind. I don't need 20 specialized pockets when 4 will do.

pat_estvold
03-08-2011, 10:23 PM
+1 on the 2200, pack is comfortable, quiet and can haul a nice load. I have the same pack in max-1 and love it

Grizzley
03-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Badlands are too noisy! Mystery Ranch...Crewcab! You will never need another pack.

mattm
03-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Just picked up the MR crewcab. Hiked with it today. It is the best fitting pack I have ever owned. My body type doesn't fit the typical packs that are out there. The MR fits like a dream! My advice on a pack would be to try as many as possible. Find the one that fits you and your functions and go with it. Good luck!

307Wapiti
03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I've had the Badlands 2200 for the last three seasons now. I helped pack out 2 sets of elk in it last year, and it held up very well considering I put well over 80# in it at a time. It's a pretty nice pack, and like was said the warranty is good for peace of mind. I also own a Kelty RedCloud pack for backpacking, and the Kelty is far more comfortable. And allegedly the mesh back on the Badlands is supposed to help keep me from sweating, and to say the least . . . it doesn't. If it was more comfortable I would rave about the Badlands, but as it is I think my next pack will be an Eberlestock.

zachbow
03-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I have a Mystery Ranch Crew cab and a MR longbow. Love them both, but are you honestly saying that the Mystery Ranch is quieter than the Badlands? I love my MR pack, but being one of the loudest on the market is its only downfall.

wolftalonID
03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
The squeeking can be a benefit though too.
1) It lets you keep tabs on your partners behind you without you having to keep looking back.
2) Large predators will be intriged by the sounds that resemble distressed prey and come in closer to investigate.(although this part is only good if your out hunting for a large predator).

Twojump
03-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I've got 2 Badlands packs and neither one squeaks... but I do like the idea of the OX frame and the Sacrifice pack. I heard the Sacrifice is noisy because of the material they used.... but my pack would be tight with all the stuff in it so how could it be noisy?
I Like your idea...

RUTTIN
03-13-2011, 01:43 PM
If you have a pack whether it may be a badlands or other pack and it is squeaking, pull out the internal frame if that is what's making the noise and wrap with athletic tape. Replace and most of the time the squeak is gone! Give it a try.

mthuntress
03-15-2011, 03:51 PM
I use the badlands superday and 2800{QUIET I think}...I love them and have been looking at the Ox.
I would STAY AWAY from the Sacrafice it's NOISY!!!!!!

brewdog
03-18-2011, 07:26 PM
I've owned 2 badlands and absolutely love them. I haven't had any issues with noise and their customer service is second to none.

Graylight
04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
In my opinion, Badlands makes a great pack... They are built well and while they had a few problems with zippers last year due to weak metal, they have fixed it since.

I love the 2800 and 4500 models, I don't have any noise coming from either pack... My wife uses the diablo and the hyper hydro, no noise from those either...

In all reality, if you are stalking in with your pack on anyhow... Good luck with that... I have yet to shoot even one animal with my pack on... Unless you are rambling through the woods and stumble on to a shooter on your way in or out, my pack has usually hit the dirt on a stalk several hundred yards before noise from it even becomes an equation...

Lot's of great packs out there and every pack fit's each person differently, just like a bow find what you like best...

Scott S
06-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Realizing that I am bumping an older thread, I also have and use the Badlands Superday and a 2200. I love both of these packs and they make no noise at all for me. Mine are 2008 (Superday) and 2009 (2200) models.

trophyhill
12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Badlands 2200 is the best pack that Badlands has ever made.

i don't know about that personally because i haven't tried their other packs. i love my 2200. i've hauled 2 elk out with it and a mule deer. it also makes a great day pack. i have no trouble shooting with this pack on.

elkmtngear
12-14-2011, 07:35 AM
I like my Badlands Superday (http://elkmtngear.com/blog/badlands-superday.html), I lash it to an external frame, and it is big enough to hold most of my spike camp. When I offload my gear, it is compact enough not to be a pain when I'm hunting.

Best of Luck,
Jeff

jjenness
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I also have a badlands day pack and have found it to sqeak quite a bit. I have used it for 4 years now, and the older the pack gets, the more noise it makes. I am finding myself only using this pack when it is raining due to the water that gets on the pack makes it stop squeking. More and more I am using a larger pack with less gear for packing into it those day long trips that I don't plan on staying the night in the woods. But, with the larger pack I am able to take more essentials with me so that if things go south I have what I need to spend the night under the stars.

pronghorn
12-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I have two 2800's that I have used for several years. They are solid packs and have never squeaked. Both packs hold the weight of the meat close to the spine and as a result haul meat very well.

ID_MW
12-24-2011, 04:44 PM
I bought an Ox frame because I found one on sale. When I tried it on, I found the waist belt was made for NFL lineman. I called Badlands to see if I could trade the waist belt in for a smaller one, and was told it only came in one size (bummer). It seems like all my posts lately have been negative attributes of products I have used; must be the Scrooge in me... Bah Humbug! Using a Mystery Ranch NICE Load Sling now and really like it (hey,that was nice!). Happy Holidays!

Haisen
12-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I just got a smaller waist-belt for my badlands 4500 pack. I had to talk to three or four different representatives at Badlands customer service before one finally said they could cut one down a few inches to fit my 28" waist. You are right about the packs being built for bigger framed individuals. I just got a Eberlestock Just One pack and that one fits my smaller frame much better than the Badlands, not to mention the torso length is far more adjustable.

Merry Christmas!

Lone Ranger
01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
I have 3 Badlands packs for different types of hunting and none of them squeak. I have the 2200 for out West and a Super Day and a Pursuit for here in Texas type hunting. I think they are "first class" and the best pack on the market. I wouldn't trade mine for any other brand!!

WyoBowhunter
01-29-2012, 09:38 AM
I have a badlands 2800 that I strap to a alps mountaineering frame. It works great! I liked the ox frame but not the price. It feels like it could be something I would set on a shelf. What did you end getting?

CasNed
02-10-2012, 06:27 AM
I went to the store yesterday and tried on the 2200, 2800, sacrifice and the ox with and with-out pack. Before going I thought I wanted the sacrifice but it is really noisy and didn't fit as well as I had hoped. The other three packs felt and would work great, all depends on what type of hunt your looking at (daypack, 3-day, 5-day). Personally I think I am going to give the ox with pack a try, really was impressed with the option to slide some meat in close to your back and still pack out your camp. I own an eberlestock x-1 and j-107, both work great as well. There is no perfect pack out there, most of us our gear junkies and will just keep buying more.