Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life long dream

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Life long dream

Living in Oregon and only having a once in a lifetime Goat or Sheep tag, my time is running out. Age and physical condition are working against me, but hopefully until such time that I actually draw a tag somewhere, I can live vicariously through some great stories here! Thanks Eastmans!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good luck Jerry in the up coming draws. My father put in for moose goat and sheep for 38 eight years before drawing a goat tag two years ago. Keep on the grind!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hate to do it guys, but I'm going to brag.

I live in British Columbia. I can hunt Big Horn, Stone's, and Dall sheep every year with an over the counter tag. Goat is the same way, every year, over the counter. We do have some areas that are limited entry (controlled hunts) but there are lots of open season areas.

I've yet to put an arrow through any of these fine animals, but I see legal rams and billies every year. Love this place.

It hurts me to move to Alberta next year for my PhD.
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well bro, guess I could rub it in and say something like the last guy. Namely an over the counter moose hunt up here for us old folks doesn't cost a cent and whilst you're looking for that nice bull, you can also drop black bear, caribou, wolf, griz, and any number of other small game such as ptarmigan, grouse, etc. Course you do have to pay $25 for a griz tag, and you do have to be 60, and ya have to be a one year resident. Other than that, never a dime to hunt, fish, or trap. Can't beat that with a large stick. See you flatlanders up here someday...???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ya'll are killin' me!!!
    I'm not too far from getting that "Pioneer' license myself which will make it cheaper too hunt but the tags are just getting harder and harder to draw. If I haven't drawn an Oregon tag within the next 5 years The spouse has said OK to going out of state to get my Ram. Gunsight I will be up there someday to visit you and the other half!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsight View Post
    Well bro, guess I could rub it in and say something like the last guy. Namely an over the counter moose hunt up here for us old folks doesn't cost a cent and whilst you're looking for that nice bull, you can also drop black bear, caribou, wolf, griz, and any number of other small game such as ptarmigan, grouse, etc. Course you do have to pay $25 for a griz tag, and you do have to be 60, and ya have to be a one year resident. Other than that, never a dime to hunt, fish, or trap. Can't beat that with a large stick. See you flatlanders up here someday...???
    First of all, I don't consider myself a flatlander. Second of all, I'm only 23 and have 10 points in sheep and moose. I definitely have the itch to hunt them both, (especially sheep) but I'm willing to wait for both my Wyoming trophies. If I play my cards right, I should have a shot opportunity on a decent black bear every year. I'm sure Alaska is amazing but I will never move out of Wyo.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post

I live in British Columbia. I can hunt Big Horn, Stone's, and Dall sheep every year with an over the counter tag. Goat is the same way, every year, over the counter. We do have some areas that are limited entry (controlled hunts) but there are lots of open season areas.

I've yet to put an arrow through any of these fine animals, but I see legal rams and billies every year. Love this place.

Could we get this guy's membership revoked? Lol! Seriously, that's a sweet perk for residents!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post

Ah come on now, Alberta isn't that bad. BC does have some awesome opportunities though, no doubt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It is nice to be resident, I'll admit that. But I would give my left arm for a game management system like you Americans have. There are 3 conservation officers for an area half the size of Wyoming. I hunt over 175 days a year between spring and fall and I haven't had my licence checked in 5 years. Archery season has the same restrictions on animal size that the any weapon season does and bow season is 9 days. There are no herd management strategies for age class or trophy animals of any species. Our limited draw system is done by hand on paper sheets, and most years results don't come back until after some of the early seasons have started. There hasn't been a comprehensive survey of moose, deer, or elk numbers in my area in over a decade.
    People in SUV's and suburbs will kill more game animals than a man with a bow, ever could.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Gunsight, this flatlander will be up there someday. And to be a BC resident and hunt sheep and goat every year....I think I would be in heaven! Consider yourselves very lucky men.