Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado elk, units 501, 67

I have one preference point and am wanting to a do a 2nd season rifle hunt in Colorado this October. I have never hunted there (I'm an Idaho resident) and am looking for a unit with a lot of public land, I'd like a find a unit I can go to every 2-3 years for archery or rifle hunt and really learn the country. I am a backpack hunter and like to hike back into the backcountry away from the crowds. I am more into the experience, the meat, and being outdoors than trophy hunting. Right now I am looking at units 501 and 67. Any suggestions or comments about these units would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have looked into 501 a little bit. What I have found out is its rugged country with elk scattered high during archery season with them wintering in the west central part of zone around Crawford. It is tough but a fair chance at a fair bull. There is a muzzy season also that may be appealing. My brother lives in Denver so he is going to check it out this spring.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Rugged country is what I'm after. Because of some military obligations I can only make the 2nd rifle season this year although I prefer archery so I'm wondering what the high country will be like that time of year. Obviously can't predict the weather but curious as to what its usually like last week of october in that area.
    Thanks for info walleyed I appreciate it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We fish Pauline creek a lot in 67. We have seen a lot of elk in the area. There is a canyon in Pauline that could be pretty good as well as around all the creeks in that area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My buddies and I hunt 501 every year. It has some very rugged country and some country not so rugged, which is where you'll find most of the crowds. Be prepared to use the packframe and you'll find your animals. As little as 1-2 miles off the main roads and you'll vertually be by yourself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey thanks for the info Dito and Graybird I appreciate it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Graybird I was wondering if 2nd rifle season if you can usually(i know you can't predict the weather exactly) still get up high and off the roads or does the snow push everything down by then? I'd like to archery or 1st rifle hunt it but because of military obligations I won't be able to go until 2nd season.
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Congratulations
    grok34,

During the 2nd season, there shouldn't be any problem getting away from the crowds and I would think that snow shouldn't bother you too much. As you know, Mother Nature always likes to throw a wrench into the gears every now and then, but you never know when. I'm lucky that a couple of the guys I hunt with have been hunting this unit for numerous years; therefore, we're pretty dialed in to where we need to be, within reason from year to year.

However, I was talking to the resident game warden and he mentioned a large herd (~200-300 head) on the western boundary of the unit, which has some steep country. We've never hunted there but I would guess with a little hard work, you could probably get dialed in within a few weeks of scouting and some hard hunting.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unfortunately my scouting will be limited to map work, googlearth, phone calls and forums like these. I just got my Pike and Gunnison national forest maps in the mail to help me narrow down some places I might try. Calling game wardens and local biologists is my next step. So far from early impressions the Lost Creek Wilderness area looks like it might be what I'm looking for if I got with 501. A place to get away from the crowds and not compete with 4 wheelers.
    Thanks again for the info Graybird, if you ever come to Idaho to hunt let me know I'll try and repay the favor!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ditto, do you see any good mule deer while fishing in unit 67. I plan to draw third season. I have a place near Antonito and poachers have hurt our good deer that were nearby.