Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrain Terms

Thanks
    As a mountaineer and a climber I would call a spire a "spire", or a "tower". A cliff of moderate size, 50'-400', with no defined summit is a crag. Cliffs larger than that are called "walls", or "big walls". Many of the cliffs on the hike up to the Grand Teton are called crags in the climbing guide. Only the actual mountains have proper names, or some of the spires attached to the peaks. The rock outcroppings at City of Rocks in Idaho would all be called crags. This is a spire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0701.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	1383

Thanks
    here is a cragClick image for larger version. 

Name:	complete file 139.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	1384

Thanks
    More high alpine spires. The Saber is in the middle. Located in Rocky Mountain National ParkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0728.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	1385

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    True that T43....

Foreigner? Im roughly offended :O lol
    Born in Austin...just call McCall Home...if you lived here you would understand.
    No offence intended! I've been through McCall the last 2 years I've been to Idaho and I completely understand why you would want to live there. Idaho is beautiful and McCall is too. I ate breakfast at the Pancake House and Christmas Shop one year and Dinner at Lardo's last year. We hunted the Middle Fork the first year and McCall last year.

2 years ago was the first time to hunt elk and the first time to go into the mountains period. The Middle Fork broke me in very quick and humbled me too. We hauled our horses from Texas with no idea what we were getting into. The drive from Yellow Pine to Big Creek pulling a horse trailer was an eye opener. But, I fell in love with Idaho.