Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie question

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rookie question

So this upcoming elk season is going to be my 2nd elk season and I am willing to learn anything and everything I can. I have been wondering this for a while and I haven't found an answer anywhere so I figured a forum would be best.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using your red light on your headlamp to help your 3/4am hikes a little easier into the back country? I don't know if this would be completely ridiculous or if it may actually work, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Whatever keeps you from tripping over stuff. I always turn mine off and let my eyes adjust well before shooting light.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unless it is a totally moonless night or heavy timber with no ambient light, I prefer to let my eyes adjust to the dark. That being said there are times when it is so dark or the terrain is so bad that some light is a must. I agree with Bitterroot, anything that you are comfortable with is good. The military still uses red light so it can't be bad.
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys-

Using your red light helps maintain your visual purple at night and I think I will use it sparingly. My main concern was whether or not elk could see it or if it would spook them easily...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonette View Post
    Thanks guys-

Using your red light helps maintain your visual purple at night and I think I will use it sparingly. My main concern was whether or not elk could see it or if it would spook them easily...
    Interesting question!! I've never used red light where an elk may have seen it, but used sparingly I doubt it would be an issue.
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll let you know in two days I'm heading into the backcountry for a break and I all was bump into some elk.
    Can you handle the challenge.... hunt hard but safe!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The elk can see very well at night..red lights would be seen by them quite easily. Being they are so different than white, it would be interesting to see how they react to the color differences though. Keep us posted Jen
    I hunt because......
    Check out my shops website!!! www.blackvelvetcustoms.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am going to comment on this from my military experience. Using darker lights like reds do not allow your pupils to dialate and contract as much taking less time for you to see clearly and adjust. One advantage of using it. Will elk see it? Without a doubt. It is still light. We used colored lights on the flight deck for the reason I stated above and also that the colored light is absorbed into the atmosphere much easier. This making it less visible at longer distances. White light you can see for miles when unobstructed but a red not so much. I use red lights when hunting to preserve my night vision and to also allow the light to not be seen at longer distances. When you turn it on at first it is hard to get used too but after a few minutes your night vision corrects and you can see more than you think you could. Just my two cents.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use white light, red light, whatever light when I'm hiking in the dark. When I get close to where I am going to start hunting I usually shut it off. If I'm hiking at 4 a.m. I know I've got a good amount of ground to cover, most of it I won't be hunting anyway - make your life easier and use the light.
    WIN A FREE SHOULDER MOUNT! - Send in your photos!
    http://www.huntaddicts.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by svmoose View Post
    I use white light, red light, whatever light when I'm hiking in the dark. When I get close to where I am going to start hunting I usually shut it off. If I'm hiking at 4 a.m. I know I've got a good amount of ground to cover, most of it I won't be hunting anyway - make your life easier and use the light.
    The exact way I do it.