Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

How far in do you go? How far out would you pack one?

I did some scouting in Colorado over the 4th in the unit we are hunting this fall. I found some good areas and I think we have a decent chance in those areas that are accessible by ATV and then going in 3 or less miles on foot.

Some of the best areas I found though are not anywhere close to accessible other than on foot. The best place I found is 6.5 miles in from the trail head with elevation that goes up 1000 feet in the first mile, then drops down 800 feet, then back up 1200 feet over the rest of the trail.

My main concern is if have success back there can we get an elk out? What is the longest you guys would consider packing an elk out on foot? Also, would you leapfrog the loads out or take out the deboned fronts and come back with frame packs to get the rest?

I am in my early thirties and will be in pretty good shape, I will have 2 hunting companions who are around 60 and will be in good shape for 60 year olds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been known to go over the next ridge and the ridge after that and even the ridge after that if need be. If it ends up being 8 or 9 miles, well, the next day is usually followed by a little less ambition. lol. My hunting pack is capable of putting 100#+ load on it. If I were to get A BIG ONE that far in, I would debone it and try and get all the meat on one load out. If its cold out then its not a big deal. If its really hot I wont go that far back for several obvious reasons. The key is to be in great shape and it never hurts to be a little on the crazy side.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ive been in 7+, the temp does play a big role for the bacpack hunter though. One tip that I picked up in an eastmans mag is to try to hang your deboned meat over a creek if at all possible, to help cool the meat. I have had the beat hunting experiences when I get away from all others. Good luck.
    Hunt Hard

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've packed out elk quarters those kinds of distances. It is not fun in any way, except getting done. I don't know anyone that could pack out an entire boned elk in one trip, although I have done entire boned muleys, including last season. Gaining elevation with an entire quarter is going to be a demoralizing event. If you can keep heading downhill it helps a lot. It is worth it to go a few extra miles, if you can maintain a downhill grade. Trekking poles are absolutely essential, IMO. You can stick them in the ground, bend over, and rest the handles against your shoulders to get a good rest. Just don't sit down.
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 07-15-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Just don't sit down.
    Good point !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Heck I don't like to pack them more than mile, but I will go about 3 miles without the horses. I helped a friend pack out a spike elk last year a little over 2 miles. (most of it downhill) I took a hind quarter, a front quarter, and the backstraps in one trip, and it wasn't to bad. Then his daughter killed a 5 point bull and it was all I could do to pack a hind quarter that same distance on flat ground. So I think it depends on how big of a bull it is too!
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If the temps are in the 80's how long would you have to pack out an elk if you get all the meat off the animal first and then pack it out? What would you guys say would be the least number of trips you could pack out a good size elk if it was 2-3 miles in?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah..I wasn't to sure that a guy could get it all in one load either. I'd sure give it a heck of a try though. lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think if I was by myself, it would take at least 4 to 5 loads for me to get it all out, that being said if the temps are warm I'm going to get the horses or not hunt quite so far back in.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I usually go in about 5 miles.. but if there is a big bull, I'm definitely not going to not go after him. The first pack out, I am usually fueled by adrenaline.. the rest of it, not so much.. We usually debone the front and come back for the rest, depending on how many people we have with us of course.
    I definitely agree with Bitterroot Bulls.. Dont sit down!
    But I would just say do what youre comfortable with... If you hike in 2 miles and youre already exhausted, youre probably not going to want to pack out an elk much farther than that!