Thanks

Nevada points help

I need some clarificaion on how the Nevada DOW handles their draws. So after this last draw I'm now sitting on 6 points for deer and trying to figure out the best way to manage my points. The one thing that I'm not clear on and hopefully someone can shed some light on is that when everyone makes their selections how does DOW handle the draw? From my understanding is that DOW takes your points, figures out how many numbers you have depending on points and then process it to determine if you get a tag or not.

Or on the flip side of the coin is do they figure out everyone one's total numbers due to points and then begin processing everyone's 1st choice request, then 2nd and so on?

Thanks
    It is more of a lotto system where a computer assigns you a number and then later randomly selects the number for a person to get a tag. Points are exponential so you have 6x6 numbers in the draw compared to someone with 2x2. Does it seem like this works? Not in my opinion. To me there is no rhyme or reason to it. People with 17 points can't draw but 6 people for same tag draws with no points. This is how I understand it anyways. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
    That is kind of the impression I was under also and really it's just pure luck regardless of how many points you have or not. So when your making you selections for the different areas, it really doesn't matter what order you put them in either, right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by magnum12 View Post
    That is kind of the impression I was under also and really it's just pure luck regardless of how many points you have or not. So when your making you selections for the different areas, it really doesn't matter what order you put them in either, right?
    Yes it does. There is a formula and I can't remember exactly what it is but something like this. 50/30/20

Thanks
    It definitely matters which order you put them in, that's everything in fact. If your name is drawn, the computer looks at your first choice. If their is a tag available, you get it. If not, it goes to your second choice and does the same thing. If a tag is available for that unit, it is yours, if not, it moves on. It will then look at your third, then fourth, then fifth choice in the same way. Depending on what you want to draw, put your top picks first. I've heard of some guys putting 4 really tough units first, and then an easy unit to draw for their fifth choice. That way they will for sure draw a tag. That method would also burn all of your points though. With your 6 points, you need to decide what type of tag you would be happy with and then go for it.

Thanks
    NDhunter - The way you have explained it is the way I have been doing it over the years. I have been putting tough to draw areas (ones that only give out 2-4 tags) and my last choice has been area 10. Well this year I did not do area 10 due to gas prices and decided to try and stay closer to home.

So I wonder, does the system draw everyone's names and then go down their list to see if there is a tag available or does it just draw names until all tags are full and then the remainder of the names are just null in the system.

For example when the system assigns everyone a number and there are 600 non res tags available, does it grab numbers 1-600 start processing tags and if all 600 are filled then the draw is complete or if not does it start processing 601, 602, etc..?