Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question About Digiscoping

First of all, the camera I am thinking of getting for digiscoping is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS8. I thought it would be a good choice since it has 14.1 megapixel and 16x optical zoom, but it has a 24mm lens.

The two spotting scopes I'm considering are the Leupold Golden Ring HD and the Vortex Razor HD. Now, the closest plate for the Leupold adapter is 28mm and the same goes for Vortex, as far as I can tell. Will this be an issue?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I digiscope with the Vortex Razor HD spotter, and it is well suited to the task. The Leupold is nice for digiscoping with its outstanding eye relief, but the optics are not up to par with the Razor.

The camera you mentioned will not work well for digiscoping. Compact cameras with a MAXIMUM zoom of 3x to 5x will give you a nice image with less vignetting. A 16x will vignette through a spotting scope through the entire zoom range. Vignetting is what you call the black field around the circular image.

I would recommend any of the Canon ELPH series, Panazonic compacts, and Sony WX series, as long as the max magnification is in that 3x to 5x range.

Check out Tines Up for the handiest digiscoping adapter out there. You can use their video Scopecams with your own camera choice, or just buy their point-and-shoot setup that includes a nice Canon compact camera:

http://www.tinesup.com/scopecam_point__shoot.html

There is more information on digiscoping and my setup at this thread:

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...s-up-scope-cam

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the warning on the camera and the heads up about other thread. It's probably pretty obvious, but I'm clueless on digiscoping. Until recently, I thought you had to have one of those huge fancy shmancy cameras. I've been really interested in getting into it, so I decided I was ready to take the plunge once I found out all you need is a more 'simple' camera.

I read a magazine article a couple weeks ago that endorsed the Cabela's and Tines Up adapter but didn't give much info on them. I really appreciate your first-hand experience as I now have a starting point. I'll probably end up getting that Scopecam point and shoot kit. But before I do that, I better figure out which spotter I want!

How do you think the Razor and Gold Ring compare? Since this thread is a specific topic, we can limit the comparison only to digiscoping. Maybe I'll make another one to include all aspects.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great advice from Bitterroot Bulls. I wouldn't even consider the Cabela's adapter. Tines Up has the best set up out there at this time. fatrooster.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    How do you think the Razor and Gold Ring compare? Since this thread is a specific topic, we can limit the comparison only to digiscoping. Maybe I'll make another one to include all aspects.
    I went through a pretty thorough search when picking out my spotter. I had been using a Zeiss Diascope 65FL. That is a fine spotter indeed, but I felt like I wanted a larger objective spotter for digiscoping. The reason is that a bigger objective brings more light through the spotter and to the camera's sensor. So you get brighter, sharper video, and higher shutter speeds for still photos. This is very important for digiscoping. My search led me to bigger spotters, and i thought I made up my mind on the Swaro 80HD, that is until I put it side by side with the Razor HD. They are absolute optical equals. I put them side by side in a variety of lighting situations. They are equals in resolution, CA control, field flatness, field of view everything. I decided to save some money for other gear and get the Razor HD. I have never regretted it. that's right, I upgraded from the Zeiss to the Vortex.

My hunting partner has the Leupold 12-40X60HD. Because of this we have had both spotters side by side over and over again. And over and over, my partner comes over to the Razor when he wants the best view. So much so he is currently selling his Leupy and buying the Razor HD, only the straight version.

The angled version is much better for digiscoping, because it holds the camera better than the straight eyepiece.

There is one spotter that had a noticeably better view than all others, including the Razor and Swaro HD. That is the Kowa 883 Prominar. That scope is truly remarkable. Part of the reason is the Kowa's huge 88mm objective is made out of pure crystal flourite, not just flourite containing glass like FL, HD, ED, APO glass. The problem for hunters is flourite crystal is brittle compared to optical glass, and has a risk of breaking or chipping in the field. Oh, and the 883 costs about $3000 with eyepiece.

Don't just take my word on the Razor HD. Talk to the scope's owners. Read the reviews. Birdwatching magazine tested all of the top scopes and put the Razor HD as the equal to the Swaro, Leica, and Kowa 77. They also noted the superiority of the Kowa 88. Cabelas has a pretty detailed Razor HD review where the buyer went from a Leica to the Razor. Vortex has the best warranty in the business ... the best.

Consistently, people love their Razor HD spotters ... me included. Also take a look at Tines Up's videos and see what spotter they are using.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by fatrooster View Post
    Great advice from Bitterroot Bulls. I wouldn't even consider the Cabela's adapter. Tines Up has the best set up out there at this time. fatrooster.
    That Cabelas adapter is just a rebranded chinese adapter that comes in many different brand names. It sucks to use in the field ... bad. I have one of the Scopetronix branded versions. Get the Tines Up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitterroot Bulls, did the larger objective make a lot of difference in your digiscoping? I haven't digiscoped enough to know a lot about it. fatrooster.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by fatrooster View Post
    Bitterroot Bulls, did the larger objective make a lot of difference in your digiscoping? I haven't digiscoped enough to know a lot about it. fatrooster.
    Absolutely. It gave me the shutter speeds I needed to get good low-blur stills. Video was good through the Zeiss, but the video through the Razor is brighter and sharper.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I just got the 65 objective so I'm gonna have to try her out for at least one year. Thanks for the reply. fatrooster.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    fatrooster,

A top-quality 65 will do fine in most situations. It is in challenging light or when you are trying to get the sharpest pic possible that the 80-85s advantages will become most apparent.