Thread: Tiping?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Tiping?

Aloha guys this is going to be my first time using a hunting outfitter,I was wondering what's the norm on tipping your p.h ?

Thanks
    Depends on what kind of service you got and if you were satisified. Also depends on how much the hunt cost you. I am going on a outfitterd elk hunt next month in Wyoming that runs almost $6,000. I am prepared to tip my guide from 300 to 500 depending on how satisfied I am. Will also tip cook, wranglers and campjack anywhere from 100 to 200. I will be prepared to tip a total of about 15%. This is a wilderness 8 day hunt and these folks should/will work their buns off.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Agreed. A 10% to 15% tip is the norm split between the whole crew. Your assigned guide should get the bulk of it but definitely don't forget about the cook and wranglers, they work hard too!

Thanks
    After speaking with one of my guide friends he was very pleased when he received a 10% tip off of the total hunt. He told me that he never liked to receive a "gift" (binos,gift cards, alcohol ect.) from a client and always preferred cash. Tip your guide on the experience and quality, not on if you harvest a animal.

Thanks
    Agree with all above. During my guiding years I was more than happy with 10%. I did'nt think much about the tips when I was out guiding, but they were always a nice ending to a good hunt.......I did'nt complain. On the other hand I sometimes felt a little guilty taking a tip when the hunter did'nt harvest an animal. In about 5 years guiding I had 2 hunters that did not tip, neither took an animal but both had plenty of chances........oh well thats guiding.

Thanks
    As an Alaskan fishing guide dealing with several hundred clients per season, I get to see more tipping behavior than most. I agree that 10% is a very fair amount, but lest you think the guides are getting rich, consider the fact that many people leave no tip at all, and in comparing notes with other guides, I estimate the average to run closer to 5%. Nothing takes the wind out of your sails like being handed a $10 bill or a handshake after catering hand over foot to a guy for 6 hours on a $400 trip, getting him a fish limit, cooking him a shore lunch, watching him mangle your personal equipment and lose $20 worth of your tackle, and being told it was the best trip ever. Our overseas friends are noted for this, and many in this country also plead tip ignorance. If you're happy with your trip, tip accordingly, and consider how much work your guide did for you as compared to what the waitress (no offense to watresses) does for her 15-20%.