Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elk*hunter View Post
    My knees hurt just reading those weights. I did 7 days at 38# last week of bow season last year and had extra layers and plenty of food that included my bow, binos, and rangefinder. If you plan right and take notes on each time you go out, no matter the game, you can shave weight and save your back and knees. I usually lay everything out then scrutinize every item to save weight, because ounces add up to pounds. Big savers for me include 3# off my pack by "trimming off" unneeded buckles, straps, and compartments, down sleeping bag, titanium pot, and for week long trips just tent fly and poles. Lots of resources in the ultralight backpacking world that can easily be integrated into DIY hunting. Hope to break 35# next year.
    Elk Hunter please help.... I am all ears. My note system would blow your mind. I pack by an excel spreadsheet, over the years I have weighed out everything. i could "pack" my bag right now in 20 mins and tell you the exact oz. But I can't shave the weight, I bet I could drop maybe 2-3 lbs in luxury items but 17 lbs boy I am ears.... Here is a list of my big ticket items that quickly come out to 29.27 lbs....

Binos 34 ozs. Swaro, I've thought about getting lightweight less quality for pack trips
    Tent 64.37 ozs.
    Pack 77.5 ozs
    Big Agnes Sleeping bag 45.89 ozs.
    Thermarest 25.93
    Rifle with scope and loaded 111.09
    Tripod 33.51
    Spotter 52.03... I know this is my monster. Another Swaro and just having a hard time compromising the quality.
    Water I pack in with 24 ozs.

So there she is... 29.27 lbs with just a few things. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks
    Over 4lbs for a tent ? Why Kind of tent are you using ? In the pre season when I do over night scouting trips I usually take my 5lb $25 tent. But when Im hunting I take my 1P Six Moon Design weighs 34oz... Thinking of trying out a 16oz bivy this year.

I mostly take the 5lb tent cause its a 2-Person and im usually overnighting it with the dogs.

Thanks
    It is a 2 person 4 season tent, that weight is with fly and poles. In Montana during rifle I promise you wouldn't be too comfortable in a bivy for 5 days with a foot of snow and 10 degrees... But I don't know maybe you would be... Do you take that tent in those conditions? Again... Trust me, i want to shave the weight but it has to work too...

Thanks
    Ahhh. Yeah for a 4-season 2 person that tent seems to be the setup for ya.

I scout the summers and bow hunt the early season. So i stay away from the 4 season tents. With winter backpacking you always seem to be carying more weight then what you can get away with in the earlier months.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffness View Post
    Ahhh. Yeah for a 4-season 2 person that tent seems to be the setup for ya.

I scout the summers and bow hunt the early season. So i stay away from the 4 season tents. With winter backpacking you always seem to be carying more weight then what you can get away with in the earlier months.
    I checked out the one you recommended and it is pretty impressive too.... this site is great because you constantly get new info/ideas. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks
    Last year I ran a Jet Boil weighing in at 1lb with a full canister of fuel. But all I ever did was just boil water for the mountain house and oatmeal.

This year im gonna try an esbit Titanium plus Ti Snow Peak mug ( 20 oz ) For an over nighter it will weigh 5 oz. For a 5 day ( Solid fuel Tablets weight .5 oz ) it will weight about 8oz

Thats half the weight of my jet boil. Granted I did like the fast boil times with the jet boil. But whats waiting a couple more minues if it will save me half a pound.

Also Ive been running a Katdyn Hiker Filter total weight = 11oz
    Gonna try a sawyer filter total weight = 3oz

I only cook with boiling water so my cook system and water filter system is where im gonna try to save some weight this year. We'll see how it works out.

Thanks
    I'll have to find an esbit TI, I've been using the metal one. It works fine with my snow peak mug like yours though.

Thanks
    close to 60 lbs. fully loaded 6 days, water in bladder, bino's,tripod, spotter, rifle and ammo.

Thanks
    Right under 40lbs. Thats with 1lb of food per day, water, bow, etc. I have an excel spreadsheet as well. If anyone wants a copy they are more than welcome to ask for it.
    Aaron

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twp1224 For This Useful Post:

Kickingmonkey (02-15-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffness View Post
    Last year I ran a Jet Boil weighing in at 1lb with a full canister of fuel. But all I ever did was just boil water for the mountain house and oatmeal.

This year im gonna try an esbit Titanium plus Ti Snow Peak mug ( 20 oz ) For an over nighter it will weigh 5 oz. For a 5 day ( Solid fuel Tablets weight .5 oz ) it will weight about 8oz

Thats half the weight of my jet boil. Granted I did like the fast boil times with the jet boil. But whats waiting a couple more minues if it will save me half a pound.

Also Ive been running a Katdyn Hiker Filter total weight = 11oz
    Gonna try a sawyer filter total weight = 3oz

I only cook with boiling water so my cook system and water filter system is where im gonna try to save some weight this year. We'll see how it works out.
    I have tried the tablet stove thing, and it is kind of a bugger. Boil times are much longer, and windy conditions are tough with them. I saved some weight going for the standard Jetboil to the Jetboil SOL ti. It is pretty darn light, everything included. Mine scales out at less than ten ounces, canister included. I save a lot of weight but just taking one full Nalgene of water and Steripen treating as I go. This, of course, depends on the availability of water to sterilize.