Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is a 220 grain .30-06 bullet to much for bull elk?

I'm going rifle elk hunting with my .30-06 and I'm planning to use 220 grain Remington Core-Lokt bullets. Is this to heavy of a bullet for bull elk? I know the 180 grain bullets will do the trick and are better for longer shots but I think that 220 grains have better takedown power. Any advice is helpful, thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My general take is that you will be giving up a lot of ballistic performance. The 180 gr hits real hard and you get flatter shooting. My baseline for load performance has always been to try and get as close as possible to 3000 fps at the muzzle. Just my opinion.

Remember one thing...dead is dead. 180 or 220, so why penalize yourself.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    220 gr is good if you are hunting the black timber. It can crash through brush and small limbs and have a better chance of doing its job.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 8750 View Post
    220 gr is good if you are hunting the black timber. It can crash through brush and small limbs and have a better chance of doing its job.
    A bad shot is a bad shot. Shooting through limbs and brush isn't a good idea with a 100, 180, 220 or even 350 grain bullet. You will have more knockdown power with a 220 grain.

I assume u are using factory loads...? If that's the load your gun likes then use it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dhershberger View Post
    I know the 180 grain bullets will do the trick and are better for longer shots but I think that 220 grains have better takedown power. Any advice is helpful, thanks!
    Actually a larger bullet doesn't offer more "takedown power" like you think it does. Stick with the flatter shooting 180 grain bullet like the Accubond or Partition and practice bullet placement. I killed my 6x6 elk with a 30-06 and 180gr Accubond. The faster 180gr bullet will provide both a large killing channel and you will also get a greater terminal velocity impact and shock on the vitals as well.

Give the 180 gr a try and you might find that you are pleasantly surprised.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think I'll take 180 gr. bullets and 220gr. bullets and if I get a long shot I'll use the flatter shooting 180 gr. bullets but if I get within 150 yds. then I'll use 220gr. bullets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You will be better served with the 180 grain bullet. There is no doubt the 220 grain will kill an elk, but you are sacrificing more than necessary. The performance edge goes clearly to the 180 grain bullet over 100 yards. And at less than 100 yards, either bullet will give you all the penetration and power you need. I've shot lots of elk with the 180 grain bullets, some as close as 25 yards, and never had reason to question this bullet weight. If you have lots of the 220 grain load, and don't mind the limitations, then ok. But this would never be the first or best choice.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dhershberger View Post
    I think I'll take 180 gr. bullets and 220gr. bullets and if I get a long shot I'll use the flatter shooting 180 gr. bullets but if I get within 150 yds. then I'll use 220gr. bullets.
    Careful with this, as your point of impact can vary widely, depending on load. I have also killed elk with a variety of bullet weights. I would consider loading up a "hard" 150 grain bullet, like the Barnes TTSX. This load will flatten the trajectory significantly, and would dispatch bulls easily, with proper placement, of course. The 30-06 doesn't have the powder capacity to make good use of a 220 grain projectile, IMO. Within a 150 yards, I don't think that elk would notice the difference between them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Careful with this, as your point of impact can vary widely, depending on load. I have also killed elk with a variety of bullet weights. I would consider loading up a "hard" 150 grain bullet, like the Barnes TTSX. This load will flatten the trajectory significantly, and would dispatch bulls easily, with proper placement, of course. The 30-06 doesn't have the powder capacity to make good use of a 220 grain projectile, IMO. Within a 150 yards, I don't think that elk would notice the difference between them.
    True, the weight can change the point of impact a lot so probably picking one bullet weight is the best. I do think that 150 grain bullets are a little light for bull elk so I think the bullet I will use is the 180 grain. I haven't tried the Barnes TTSX in 150 grain yet but I'll test it and compare it to 180 grain Remington Core Lokt. I do agree that 150 grain bullets can do the job when properly placed but I think the 180 grain has more forgiveness and knockdown power.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really think it has more to do with shot placement than anything elso. I have killed 5 or 6 elk and 2 moose with 30-06 150 gr Sierra GameKings. All were 1 shot kills. One bull moose was standing uphill and slightly turned away from me, one shot in shoulder and down he went. Found the bullet was lodged in the horn. Passed thru and lodged there. I shoot a .300 Wby with 180 gr Nosler Partition now and it does a great job. Shoots a lot flatter than the 06 at longer ranges. Pick a bullet and load, and if it groups the way you want it to, stick with it and do a lot of practice at various distances.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley