Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhershberger View Post
    True, the weight can change the point of impact a lot so probably picking one bullet weight is the best. I do think that 150 grain bullets are a little light for bull elk so I think the bullet I will use is the 180 grain. I haven't tried the Barnes TTSX in 150 grain yet but I'll test it and compare it to 180 grain Remington Core Lokt. I do agree that 150 grain bullets can do the job when properly placed but I think the 180 grain has more forgiveness and knockdown power.
    I shot a bull with a 180 grain corelokt from an 30-06 a few seasons ago. He ran about 20 yards and dropped. The bullet entered the ribs behind the off shoulder. No exit. The bullet was in the chest cavity and weighed 98 grains after cleaning.

I shot a bull the following year with a 140 TSX from a 270 WSM. The bull didn't take a step. The bullet shattered the on shoulder, turned the lungs to ribbons, crushed the off shoulder, and was caught in the hide on the off side. Somehow the Barnes "petals" were sticking out in the air on the off-side, but the body of the bullet was stuck in the exit hole. One petal sheered off somewhere inside, but the bullet stilled weighed 122 grains after cleaning.

Both bullets made the lungs inoperable. I don't know what the "knock down" power was. I know the Barnes was the bigger bullet after doing the job. The Barnes had better penetration for sure.

I agree with Colorado Cowboy in that shot placement is way more important than bullet choice. Find one that shoots well out of your gun and use it.

Just remember that 180 grain CoreLokt is going to be 150 grains or less really soon after impact.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bittroot Bulls and Colorado Cowboy: Your'e right, bullet placement is much more important than load and caliber. I have a question for Bitteroot Bulls: What was the yardage when you killed your bull with a .30-06 180 grain Core-Lokt and what was the yardage when you killed your bull with a .270 with a 140 grain Barnes TSX. I do think it is important to have proper bullet placement but also it is important to have enough caliber it make a clean kill. The .270 is on the light side for elk calibers but with proper placement, not too long yardage, and with a Barnes TSX I think that the .270 probably could perform pretty well. One more question: I've been looking at bullets and I really like the .30-06 Federal Vital-Shok with Barnes TSX tips in 150 and 180 grains. Do you think this a good bullet choice for bull elk? Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it alot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I guess I'm old fashioned...maybe just plain old is a better description, but I use Nosler Partition exclusively in my .300.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    maybe give a 165 grain in a partitioner a try. somewhere in the middle. i like that round for elk and deer, little more punch than the 150 but lighter than the 180 for those extended ranges. everyone is right about shot placement, if you know your guns capabilities and have a steady rest you could take down an elk with almost anything. good luck fellow newmexican...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    maybe give a 165 grain in a partitioner a try. somewhere in the middle. i like that round for elk and deer, little more punch than the 150 but lighter than the 180 for those extended ranges. everyone is right about shot placement, if you know your guns capabilities and have a steady rest you could take down an elk with almost anything. good luck fellow newmexican...
    That's another good option that I haven't thought about. I use the 165 grain mainly for Oryx hunting but I'm sure it would work for elk too especially in a partition load. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dhershberger View Post
    I have a question for Bitteroot Bulls: What was the yardage when you killed your bull with a .30-06 180 grain Core-Lokt and what was the yardage when you killed your bull with a .270 with a 140 grain Barnes TSX.
    The 30-06 was under 100 yards, probably closer to 80 yards.

the 270WSM was over 400 yards.

I would be confident in the 150 Barnes doing the trick just fine. The 180 TSX would do well also, just not quite as flat shooting.

Find what you are confident in, and stick with it. I hope you get to do an on-game test of whatever bullet you go with this year.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use a 30-06 and I shoot 180 grain bullets. I have killed elk, mule deer, and whitetails with these bullets. I would say that 165 is the perfect all around bullet. My kid brother uses a .270 and shoots 140 grain bullets. They do the job as well. I have hunted elk a long time and I would say 220 is way overkill.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Now I understand why Mike Eastman explains in his book's why he doesn't get into what type of caliber, bullet, scope, etc. to use. It mostly just comes down to personal preference. Shoot an elk broadside through both lungs with anything bigger than a .243 and it is going to kill it. Shoot an elk through the guts with a .300 and you are going to have a tough time getting it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is why I believe shot placement and confidence in your weapon are the most important things that a hunter can have. I learned some very hard lessons over 50 years ago on this when I was a very young, inexperienced hunter.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley